PDA

View Full Version : Manual boost gauge boost source

TraceF
01-14-2003, 17:39
I have been able to find a lot of info for the electronic exh temp gauges but need to clarify where to source the boost for the manual Banks gauge I bought.

If I understand what I read, a splice in the waste gate hose with a tee should work? If so what is the ID of the hose so I can prebuy the tee?

Also, so I am clear, is this the 1/2 to 5/8 inch hose coming off a 90 degree elbow that is pressed into the cast alum housing to the passenger side of the short blue connector hose?

Could I also tap into the alum pipe going into the long piece of blue connector hose on the passenger side?

Diesel Newbie

mdrag
01-14-2003, 18:30
TraceF,

If you choose the first link in my sig, I just added a picture of the wastegate line and 'T' fitting I used to install my SPA DG-111 in a '01. Look in the first album , last picture. It may take 10 minutes or so to show up...

I have not seen a '03 yet so I don't know if the wastegate set-up is the same. When you find it, just pull off one end of the line to determine what size fitting you'll need.

TraceF
01-14-2003, 18:36
Mdrag-

That's a beautiful truck but I can't see the hose I think is the actuator hose in your picture labeled (firewall access).

Help!?!

mdrag
01-14-2003, 19:45
TraceF,

Check again, it may have taken a little longer for the pic to show up after downloading. The pic is clearly labeled 'Wategate T for boost gauge' and it is there now.

mdrag

TraceF
01-14-2003, 20:08
Very many thank you's are forthcoming!

We can leave off the plastic 6.6 thingie, yes?

Jelisfc
01-14-2003, 23:36
Does the Dmax pull any vacuum? I have a thought for a special gauge but don't know the vac/pressure range I need.

SoCalDMAX
01-15-2003, 00:28
No, the Dmax pulls no vacuum. I'd recommend a boost gauge capable of reading to at least 30psi.

Regards, Steve

Bass_on_tap
01-15-2003, 03:48
The hose is 1/4 in and the tee fitting can be had from NAPA. I had to ask the person behind the counter for the fitting. He had a special compartmentalized plastic box on the shelf labeled "tee fitting". Napa had both brass and black plastic tee. The brass was $6.00 and the plastic was $2.00. You will also need a soft vacuum adapter (in another special box) to connect the boost gauge hose to the tee. I used the black plastic 1/4 x 1/4 x

TraceF
01-15-2003, 07:05
I talked to the manufacturer last night (Banks) and they recommended a tee kit because there is a boost baffle that goes on the hose when it is attached to the tee.

Looking at my gauge, there is already a baffle in the back of it. Is there supposed to be a baffle at both ends?

jjackson
01-15-2003, 07:40
mdrag: Nice looking truck. Are you happy with the SPA DG-111 guage set-up...the mounting looks nice, did all that come w/the guage package, if not could you provide other numbers and supplier info. I want to get boost and egt guages prior to my next 5th wheel towing trip. I hadn't thought about or seen a "two in one" setup, but I am also new to the diesel environment.

Thanks, John

mdrag
01-15-2003, 13:54
jj-dmax,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm pleased with the SPA DG-111 - Spa has replaced the 111 with the DG-211 which has some improvements. Here is the link for SPA:

www.spatechnique.com

I bought the DG-111 from www.dieselpage.com, but I don't believe they sell them any longer. Kennedy Diesel offer the SPA gauges, give him a call:

www.kennedydiesel.com

Mounting the SPA gauge in that cubby was a make it up as you go along project. I used a small piece of plexiglass, an angle ring, and a single gauge metal mount. I used the metal gauge mount to attach the assembly to the inside of the plastic cubby. I also cut the back of the cubby for wire access. Then the assembly pops into the dash like the original.

mdrag

jjackson
01-16-2003, 06:11
mdrag, thanks for the info, your mounting looks really good from the pic's.....I'll contact JK when I'm ready.

John

TraceF
01-16-2003, 07:19
Asking this again- I have installed everything but the tee.

<<I talked to the manufacturer last night (Banks) and they recommended a tee kit because there is a boost baffle that goes on the hose when it is attached to the tee. Looking at my gauge, there is already a baffle in the back of it. Is there supposed to be a baffle at both ends?>>

Main question is about the baffles.
:confused:

Idle_Chatter
01-16-2003, 10:11
I think they mean a dampener to keep the gauge from "jiggling." I don't know what they are using or referring to as "baffles" but my Isspro boost gauge has a brass slug inside the gauge at the rear connection that has a pinhole orifice drilled in it. This slows down the flow in/out of the gauge as pressure changes and smooths out gauge needle operation.

TraceF
01-16-2003, 10:36
My gauge is the same.

The question is do I need a similar restriction at the tee fitting?

Idle_Chatter
01-16-2003, 11:49
I don't see why. I didn't want a plastic tee under the hood with heat and all, so I kind of "over-engineered" my boost tap. I have a brass 3/8" tee with two 3/8" pipe X 1/4" brass hose barbs and a brass 3/8" to 1/8" reducer holding my pressure tube fitting hose clamped into the wastegate hose under the intake cover. That makes my boost sensing system completely open except for the gauge orifice, and it works fine.

zip
01-16-2003, 13:53
No, Trace- you do not need another restriction in your tee. the small hole (orifice) in the bottom of the guage mount is enough to insure proper guage reaction to the flow of air into the guage.
If the hole were bigger, the guage might react too quickly and damage itself.So the guage mfr drills a small hole to dampen that effect of lots of air rushing into the guage all at once.
You're good to go. Hook it up.
zip

TraceF
01-16-2003, 17:36
Thanks to all of your help I have a working boost gauge, kinda.

First, I show about 10psi boost under moderate to heavy acceleration. The highest I could send the gauge under WOT was 22psi. This was with no cargo or trailer.

Does this sound right?

Next, I have no idea which fuse operates the dash lights. Guess I could pull them out one by one to see. Anyone know?

TooMuchMuscle
01-16-2003, 17:50
TraceF, look on the inside of the gauge panel and it tells you which fuse controls the interior lights. I set my gauges up and now the dimming wheel controls the gauges too.

TraceF
01-16-2003, 18:11
TMM- I can't make out the abbreviations on the inside of the panel door.

There is nothing like INT or IN L or anything similar.

I'm baffled.

Believe it or not, I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I can't figger this one.

Bass_on_tap
01-16-2003, 18:14
Look at the sticker on the inside of the fuse panel cover. Find the fuse labeled "ILLUM" close to the center of the label; this is the dash panel illumination lamp fuse. This power source varies with the dash light dimmer. This will allow the gauge light to vary with the dash lights.
Just to the right of that fuse is the "IGN1" fuse. The "IGN1" fuse is hot with the ignition key in the "RUN" position. Use this to power the EGT gauge hot wire.
Tap off the right sides of these fuses and the power to your gauges will be fused.
Hope this helps; this information was gleaned from the "Got Gauges" article and was very helpful to me. Dave

TraceF
01-16-2003, 18:43
Bass- The '03 has GOT to be different.

Are we talikng under the hood or on the side of the dash?

I got IGN3 and IGNO in the dash,

I got IGNA, IGNE, TBCIGN, SEOIGN, under the hood.

No ILLUM anywhere I can find.

I found the fuse in the dash that makes the dash lights go out but it kept the gauges on continuously.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

TraceF
01-16-2003, 19:52
mdrag-

Do you know anything about where the gauge light wire would go on an '03.

I'm done with it for tonight but I am way stumped here.

Don't know who to call.

My local dealer, I have learned, knows less about this truck than I do (thanks to DP).

GM Smitty
01-16-2003, 20:09
Trace- I popped off the panel that has the roller type thing that dims the dash lights (also has the headlight switch on it), and used a tester until I found the wire that dims when I rolled the switch. Then just tapped into that wire for the illumination of my gauges. Has worked fine for a year now.

TraceF
01-16-2003, 20:41
Good idea. I'm gettin' ZIP elsewhere. Muchas Gracias. :cool:

mdrag
01-16-2003, 21:13
TraceF,

I only have the manual for an '01 so I don't have any suggestions other than using a tester or meter, or pullng fuses until you find it. Good luck.

mdrag

mackin
01-16-2003, 21:27
Tracef

A test light is your best friend,in this case !!!!!! ;)

MAC

HESS101
02-06-2003, 23:04
TraceF,
I am going to go thru the same thing here soon so I am reading very intently. Now that the 03s have been out for 1/2 year maybe TDP could update that "Got Guages" article. I looked for it only to find it was archived. I am following your lead.
Good luck!
Steve

TraceF
02-07-2003, 08:25
HESS101-

Mine are installed and seem to be working properly. Got my tech questions answered over the phone, while I was doing the work, from a DP member who will remain nameless (Toddster) oops- that slipped out. By the way- thanks again Todd! :D

If you need help, the reading gets it into your head and a call or e-mail to one of the members helps you with the few tech questions you may come across.

Good luck.

tophog
05-24-2003, 01:46
I just installed the Autometer Ultra-Lite EGT and Boost gauges today. Have everything done except the lighting power to the gauges. Tonight after going thru the various How-to's I found on the internet, including manual I realized the 03 fuse panel is completely different then 01-02. There is no "Illum" fuse in the panel at all. There is an "Ign0" and "Ign3" but no "Illum". Based on a previous post looks like I figure how to pop-off the light switch cover and tap into a wire there. If anyone else has a better idea I'd love to hear it. Worked all afternoon getting everything done ... a little frustrating not being able to complete tonight ... looking for a damn "Illum" fuse. :(

FirstDiesel
05-25-2003, 07:47
tophog

I don't have an 03 so I don't know the differences but in all my years of adding things to cars I have always found it easiest to tap into an existing light that does what I want.

Is there a light in the 03 that turns on when the headlights turn on and is easy to get access to??

DieselDixon
05-25-2003, 16:12
I just installed the Autometer Carbon Fiber gauges today in my 03 2500HD. I checked every fuse in both boxes with a test probe and none of them will dim. I ended up tapping off the wire which comes off the back of the light switch/dimmer panel. It is a Brown wire with White trace, works perfect!