PDA

View Full Version : Edge Juice/Attitude engine cough problem

Steve N AZ
02-26-2005, 19:24
With a freshly installed Edge Juice w/ Attitude under heavy throttle 75% or greater, the engine coughs (occaisionally). It does this in setting 0 through 3 (Haven't tried 4 or 5 yet, and don't intend to until the coughing is resovled).

From what I'm reading:

There's a pending update and/or the unit needs to be replaced. Bummer I'm towing a 17,000 lb gooseneck trailer next week and was looking forward to using the juice (Level 1 or 2 depending on temps).

Curious if anyone that had the problem actually found a fix.

Any thoughts? Is this causing damage?

Thanks

More Power
03-02-2005, 20:03
Sounds like an issue to discuss with your Edge dealer. He'll be the best position to work with both you and Edge to find an answer.

MP

Steve N AZ
03-02-2005, 23:06
Edge says send it back. They have a fueling update for the Juice.

So thats what I'm gonna do.

a64pilot
03-03-2005, 08:43
Change the fuel filter first, Maybe you have a partially clogged filter that may not flow enough fuel.

justforme
03-06-2005, 09:04
Originally posted by Steve N AZ:
Edge says send it back. They have a fueling update for the Juice.

So thats what I'm gonna do. are you sending it back to the dealer or back to them?

pgreen
03-13-2005, 08:04
I had EXACTLY

pgreen
03-13-2005, 08:10
I had EXACTLY the same problem on my '05 3500. Put the Juice on at 800 miles, so fuel filter shouldn't have been a problem yet. When it would "cough", it would be smoking horribly. Like enough to make cars get out from behind me. I called Edge and they were looking for a fix at the time (December). I told them that it was even doing this before the truck was up to temp so the box wasn't on yet, so something was definately wrong. They told me they would replace it. New box does exactly the same.

I'm not Edge/Juice bashing, but it is definately nowhere near what it was on my LB7. It still has the cough, and it's really annoying.... Haven't heard from Edge either, as they have my contact info for when they have a "fix".

Truck was built in December '04.

P

billsMax
03-13-2005, 15:37
I've only noticed cough once (I only have 5000 miles) but mine is smoking very badly when I accelerate. It doesn't smoke when the juice is removed. I first noticed smoke when at the 1 level and accelerating with my 5th wheel in tow. Today, I tried accelerating at the 4th level , without the 5th wheel, and it smoked so badly, I could hardly see the car behind me. I'm going to call Edge tomorrow and see what they have to say. The juice on my 2001 duramax worked much better than this one.

Bugsy
03-13-2005, 16:52
My first EDGE Juice caused a "Shift Range Inhibited" error several times and I took it off and all was fine. Sent it back and another one came and that one knocked my fuel gauge out all the way and was HORRIBLE when shifting.
They have both of the units back now and I have asked for a refund.
No word yet.
This truck is too expensive to be testing their stuff and possibly messing something up. My dealer is VERY sharp and they even look at where the box is usually placed to look for the outline of the velcro strips.
I'm gun shy now. I can only hope I can recover some money out of the return.

CHVYMAN#9
03-15-2005, 19:51
Hey guys with the LLY and smoke on acceleration. Does this only happen once in awhile? I've seen multiple 04 & 05 LLY engine do this smoke and hesitation(cough)thing. It has been related to the new EGR sticking open allowing the boost to bypass to the exhaust(thus SMOKE). Don't know if this will help or not but GM is aware of the problem and SUPPOSEDLY working on a fix. I do know that they seem to do it worse if exhaust has been modified(I.E. no cat and different muffler) magnaflow seems to be the worst.

ChevyDealer
03-15-2005, 23:41
I have only had one truck back in the shop for this. It was a low mileage 04 K3500 SRW Crew with the LLY. It also had a very minor surge under a slight pull unloaded. There was a program update for the customer's VIN and it seemed to cure it. The customer has driven it for several thousand miles with no more problem.

Kennedy
03-16-2005, 08:34
Version 1.2 updates are available from Edge.

As for Bugsy's problem,that is odder than odd, and I'd guess coincidental, but you never know. I guess first thing I would check is that the 8th digit of the VIN is indeed a 2 and not a 1...

Bugsy
03-16-2005, 18:20
No, mine is a "3" and that is the model with the 18mm sparkplugs.