PDA

View Full Version : Is the rattle the dualmass flywheel?

orange2
04-24-2003, 19:02
Alright, I was told by jk if I keep hammering the thing I will learn what the flywheel costs, well if I push the clutch pedal in about halfway it rattles. Is it what I think it is? It does it warm or cold, but it seemed to just appear, it wasn't somethin that I noticed getting worse and worse. If i sit at an idle and just push the clutch a little it makes a rattleing noise, is it time to take it to a stealer and get it looked at? The truck has about 57000 miles on it and it was built in march of 2001. Oh, it shifts just fine and the clutch doesn't slip, I assume that it is the flywheel.

orange2
04-24-2003, 19:11
Did a search, seems there was a bad batch of springs aroung the time my truck was built, is this a warranty issue or just a bite my checkbook issue? The noise goes away when the pedal is fully depressed, anyone got a clue or a similiar experiecne that can give me a clue?

CPMac632
04-24-2003, 19:53
The flywheel is definately where your noise is coming from, my first one sounded the exact same way. I've heard the flywheel is covered under the 100k factory warranty let me know what you find out.

Lone Eagle
04-24-2003, 19:58
My best guess is the throw out bearing or the center section of the disc is loose. Later! Lone Eagle

Kennedy
04-25-2003, 07:48
The dual mass flywheel is one of those love/hate things. Smooths things out nicely, but ungodly expensive to replace, and often quite short lived...

Colorado Kid
04-25-2003, 11:28
I think you've correctly identified the problem, and I know that the dual mass flywheel IS included in the 100,000 mile engine warranty, so the cost should be $100 (the deductible) to you.

If I were you I'd not mention anything about elevated power levels, and not leave the literature that came with any performance enhancers in the truck...it might not matter, but it seems to have casued trouble for TLA.

luvthesmellofdiesel
04-25-2003, 14:14
Yup, just had my flywheel replaced about a month ago at 16,000 miles or so, same symptoms you describe. The dealer informed me that it is in fact covered under the 100,000 mile engine warranty, and no deductible.

Tim White

Lone Eagle
04-25-2003, 14:24
What exactly is a dual mass flywheel? Later! Lone Eagle

orange2
04-25-2003, 19:49
Hey guys thanks for the replies, Kennedy warned me and he was right! I will not have any evidence of the Predator in the truck, that is for sure. Guess when I get it fixed i will have to be a little more kind to the drive line. It was fun while it lasted.

CPMac632
04-25-2003, 23:38
I know a few people that haven't had any power enhancers or as much as pulled a trailer and their dual mass flywheel failed before 30k.

NJDMAX
04-26-2003, 15:40
Lone Eagle,
A dual mass flywheel has silicone fluid inside it to dampen vibrations to the engines crankshaft,the early type clutch discs had springs or rubber dampeners to lessen the vibrations. Dual mass flywheels are needed with today's OBD2 cars and trucks because of misfire
codes that can be set from vibrations being sent into the crankshaft.They also make for smoother clutch engagement(you don't feel clutch chatter)
Hope this helps.
Tom

GMCTRUCK
04-26-2003, 18:21
Does that mean the 03s don't have the same flywheel that people have had issues with on the earlier trucks?

Lone Eagle
04-26-2003, 20:21
Thanks Tom. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

luvthesmellofdiesel
04-28-2003, 08:39
Yup, mine failed around 16K miles, no towing, no power modules, bone stock truck... The dealer said mine had springs in it and they came apart (when I was 500 miles from home). Don't know if the one they replaced it with was the same or not. I will know at 32K miles probably...

Tim White

CPMac632
04-28-2003, 22:43
I just saw a new flywheel from gm last week and it was still a spring dampend dual mass not a silicone. Maybe the 03's have them or maybe just some other vehichles.

orange2
05-01-2003, 16:37
Well went to a local dealer and they say the rattle is bearings in the front of the tranny, had it on a hoist and said they could feel the rattle there. Then went to an aamco tranny shop and they think it is the flywheel because it only does it in the middle of the pedal travel. I am just going to take it to my in town dealer and have them rip it apart and see what they find, if its not a waranty item it still has to be fixed.

CPMac632
05-01-2003, 21:48
I hear what your saying. They will try to get out of anything. I know that is what it is and if the service writer calld it in wherever they call that is what they would tell him also. Don't let them get to you. Every time a service writer has called for approval on my truck they knew exactly what it was.

elowe1
05-02-2003, 10:33
Been down this road so maybe I can help.
With 12K on my 01 ZF6 (no mods or severe use) rattle developed between 1/4 and 3/4 clutch travel. Took vehicle to dealer who was puzzled until they searched their computer for technical service bulletins. The bulletin indicated a bad batch of flywheels where the springs between the plates were suceptible to breaking. They replaced the flywheel and I had no further problems until 25K where it ocuured once more. I brought it back and they put in another flywheel and everything is still fine at 42K. I think the second flywheel may have also been from the bad batch (i hope).
Other than that I've had no problems.
Hope this helps

1BADDMAX
05-02-2003, 11:59
So far I've been lucky, knock on wood. My truck now has 51,200 miles. It was built the last week in April 2001. Everyone who had their flywheel replaced please let us all know when your truck was built. At least I still have about 48k before my warranty expires.

orange2
05-02-2003, 15:32
Get this crap, I take my truck to my local dealer and he will not even look at the thing or even think of taking it apart, Granted i didn't buy it there but it is a chevy garage, he said he makes nothing off of warranty work. I am really cosidering calling chevy and making a complaint. I am going to try another stealer or just take it to the first one and tell them to replace it, but this is ridiculous. My local dealer is 6 miles from me and the other ones are about 30 miles. My truck was built in march of 01. I also did a test, if I rev the motor with the clutch pushed inso it makes the noise at an idle, when I rev it it goes away.

FirstDiesel
05-02-2003, 17:11
That sucks. I'd be contacting the area rep from GM and lodging a complaint. But I certainly wouldn't let them do the work. If they have that kind of attitude about doing the work to start out with what will they be like if they are forced to do it by GM.

dmaxstu
05-02-2003, 19:15
orange2:
I cannot imagine you are having such a problem with that dealer unless you ****ed them off before. I go to my local GMC dealer even tho I did'nt buy my truck there and they treat me like royalty. Today I got a call on my cell from this dealer which I visited 2 weeks ago, asking me whether I was satisfied with their service and could they serve me again soon. I told the gal I was trying to keep a wide berth which amused her .Usually these dealer's service departments have their own bottom line and really don't give a hoot where you bought your truck. Of course if you are a long and maybe a lifetime customer they might,and I mean MIGHT, go beyond protocal and stick their necks out for you, however those dealers are in the minority. In short, find a more accommodating dealer. Stu

[ 05-02-2003: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

orange2
05-02-2003, 20:25
No i don't think I have made them mad other than I have never bought a vehicle from them. I only buy used and they are a very small dealer, like right now they might have 10 new vehicles on the lot. They just want to change oil and belts and thats it. I let the half owner(2 brothers own it) listen to it and he said he wanted nothing to do with it. They just have little experience with fixing anything major but I thought I'd give them a shot. If it wasn't the flywheel he would make full rate on whatever it was, but it doesn't really matter to me, I just won't ever buy something there.

amccom
05-03-2003, 20:12
Sad story on the workmanship of a 40,000+ vehicle that most people had to wait months for an pay over Retail Price. I am now very glad that I was not willing to pay a dealer list plus for a DURMAX when at extremely low mileages they are failing on compents that are not even hightech. It is unfortunate that not enough buyers are reading this web site. Also, dealers do not like to do warranty work since they can not over charge you for unnecessary parts and excessive labor since GM engineers audit the bills. Now I see why there are so many used ones available with just over 100,000 miles on them... the warranty ran out.

hoot
05-03-2003, 20:22
The problem is all the full size brands seem to have clutch problems with diesels. They just refuse to put real HD components in them.

orange2
05-05-2003, 19:19
Well got some good news? from a dealer, guess what, its the flywheel. 100 deductible. Guy listened to it and then called chevy tech, said its the flywheel, replace it.

CPMac632
05-06-2003, 12:43
Orange how friendly is the dealer that is replacing the flywheel. You should see if they would let you keep the starter ring gear off of the old flywheel. I know a place you could sell it.

orange2
05-06-2003, 16:16
This dealer is very friendly, I have bought a couple trucks from them, I'll ask about the ring gear, the new flywheel is supposed to be in wednesday so hopefully I will get the truck back on saturday or monday. I told them if the clutch looked wore that i would have them throw in a new clutch.

jared
05-06-2003, 16:44
Has anyones 6-speed been jumping out of gear. When I put mine in forth most of the time I have to hold it in position so it want come back out. And it scapes more often putting it in gear. Its always scaped some ever since I bought it. Its just started jumping out of gear at about 26000. And has anybody had a problem with backing up with a loaded or unloaded trailer. Mine starts jumping and vibrating everything in the truck. Its feel like the cluth gets hot spots in it.

orange2
05-06-2003, 17:09
That ain't good fella, I would get that thing to a dealer pronto.

Colorado Kid
05-06-2003, 21:15
I've seen the chatter in reverse, but all the rest of that sounds like you'd better beat it to a dealer before that warranty runs out.

crafty
05-07-2003, 11:47
I had the flywheel replaced last summer at about 32,000 Kms because it was vibrating at idle. That solved the problem. I had no hassle from the dealer and no problems since then. I pulled 10,000 lbs over 400 miles since then and there have been no troubles. I like my 6 speed and I would buy another. Best truck I've ever owned!!!! :D :D :D