PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE: How Do I change the fuel filter?

Seth McKinney
02-28-2005, 12:41
Hello,

I am not much of a truck fanatic, but I look to become one being able to do my own stuff. With that being said...

How in the world do I remove the old fuel filter, and put in a new one? I can hardly move anything with all the pipes and wires running around the area. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

jbplock
02-28-2005, 15:15
Seth,

Regarding fuel filter changing there are several methods folks use as follows:

1. Personally I prefer to remove the inner fender lining. It comes out easy in less that 2 min and allows full access to the filter. Some of us have replaced the liner's plastic retainers with RIV-NUTS (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005686) and SS screws. (I did both liners).
2. Remove the battery then remove the filter from the top.
3. Slightly push & bend the AC line toward the fire wall (dmaxallitech method). then remove filter form the top. (after the first time no need to re-bend the AC line)

Here are some threads to check out... (also try a forum search for "fuel filter change")

First fuel filter change on D-Max...whoa! (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008066#000000)
Filter Change on Duramax (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006341#000026)
Fuel Filter (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005699#000006)
Changing Fuel Filter (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008167)

smile.gif

madmatt
02-28-2005, 20:08
I've never had to bend a line to get'em to come out the top. although I do get fuel EVERYWHERE!!! also don't forget to unplug the water in fuel sensor harness. I've got a strap type filter wrench that I bought just for these. i wrap the strap around the filter and get like a 12" extension and.....well you get the idea. for me this way is faster although a little more aggervating, but hey, time is money in the wonderful world of flat rate!

ADub
03-01-2005, 07:25
My first fuel filter change, I bled the system but forgot that once its bled, you still need to pump it a few more times to prime the system.

dodgerfan
03-01-2005, 07:37
Just did my first one this weekend. I decided I wasn't going to remove my wheel and the fender lining so went at it from the top. Got a strap filter wrench like Madmatt and was able to get the old filter out easily, didn't even spill too much fuel though it pi**ed me off to waste a quart of fuel at $2.50 a gallon!

Took a lot more effort to get the new one on - hard to align it without much room for hands, and the o-ring doesn't like to stay put. Just be patient, take it slow, make sure it's on right before trying to tighten it. Be careful with the strap wrench - strap the filter near the bottom or you can put a dent in the filter. Bleed, pump, and go!

madmatt
03-01-2005, 18:34
I super glue the seal to the filter, let the glue set up while i install the WIF sensor, grease the seal and install. FYI...lightly greasing the rubber grommet down inside the filter will ease the installment by allowing the filter to slip over the nipple part of the filter base a little easier.

madmatt
03-01-2005, 18:35
also i just put'em on hand tight.

Nix
03-04-2005, 01:00
What kind of grease? What type of negative effects can be caused by a small dent in the upper filter housing? Just wondering...

DmaxMaverick
03-04-2005, 01:47
Originally posted by Nix:
What kind of grease? What type of negative effects can be caused by a small dent in the upper filter housing? Just wondering... Axle lube, motor oil, etc., but just a light film. It's just to lube the rubber to allow it to "slide" into place while you tighten the filter. I grease both O-rings also. If it's clean grease, it won't cause any problems.

A dent in the filter canister can deform the sealing surface where the O-ring is placed. Result can be a suction leak, which will lead to problems, even if it doesn't leak under pressure. A big (relative term) dent can damage the filter media, which can allow unfiltered fuel to bypass the filter. A dent closer to the ends can cause the adhesive that seals the filter media to the end caps to separate and allow fuel to bypass.

I usually dent them getting them off, not on. I snug them up with a strap wrench going on. Position your strap wrench close to the lower end to get more meat on it before it colapses. I had one so tight on mine (the original filter), I had to chisel it off. The strap wrench just crushed it, and the channel locks twisted it apart like a beer can. Probably because it was installed dry and torqued. The O-ring was stuck to the housing and even left a little rubber behind (cleaned that up).

Hoss
03-04-2005, 02:30
I too use a strap wrench and remove the filter from the top without removing the inner fenderwell. I have never spilled a drop. As soon as I crack the filter loose with the strap wrench, I remove the strap and slip a 1 gallon freezer bag over the filter and finish spinning it off by hand, letting the filter drop into the bag once its off. Works like a charm and no mess!! I also use the freezer bags on the oil filter when I remove them. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the results.

jbplock
03-04-2005, 04:05
Originally posted by Nix:
What kind of grease?Nix,

Parker Super O-Lube (http://www.manuf-rubber.com/superolube.htm) also works well on the fuel filter O-rings. It's a slightly "tacky" silicone based lube that helps hold the o-ring in place and prevents it from rolling over as the filter is tightened. I also use it on the the top filter gasket (Stanadyne FM100 and Mega Filter gaskets too). Silicone grease is another good choice but I prefer the Super O-lube.

"Parker Super O-Lube is a silicone based lubricant intended to compliment Parker O-Lube in that it can be used with virtually any rubber polymer. Super O-Lube can also be used over a wider temperature range and in most cases will provide improved environmental protection to the elastomer. It is recommended that Super O-Lube be used sparingly as only a thin film is necessary for optimum results. This lubricant is useful with a wide variety of fluid media since it is quite inert. High pressure systems as well as vacuum uses are typical applications where Super O-Lube is beneficial. Temperature range is -65

More Power
03-06-2005, 14:45
Instructions for R&Ring the fuel filter are available online in the Member's Area. See link in signature.

I just replaced the FF in my truck today. It does get easier the more times you do it. smile.gif

MP

Nix
03-06-2005, 22:47
Thanks fellas. This site rules. :cool: