PDA

View Full Version : First long haul

Fathead
04-25-2003, 18:39
My previous truck was a GMC 2500HD with a 6 liter gas engine.My 5th. wheel is 12000lb. loaded. With my old truck the rig handled well except for being totally inadequate as far as power goes. That engine was screaming in second gear up every hill and with even a mild head wind. I felt like I was hauling a giant weight from gas station to gas station. It was a drag! .I just hauled my trailer 4200 miles with my Duramax. This truck is so powerful it changed the whole traveling experience. The truck held overdrive on almost every hill and down shifted nicely when it needed to.The Allison was absolutely incredible and ran in the normal operating temp. range at all times. The 56 gallon fuel tank gave me an incredible range. I got 11 mpg hauling and 20 mpg empty. Traveling was leisurely and pleasant and FUN. This truck has changed the entire experience. Absolutely amazing. I could not be more satisfied. I still want a power chip but to be absolutely honest I must admit that I don't need one.
FH. smile.gif

roegs
04-25-2003, 19:59
Fathead..I love to read posts like yours! I've not had a chance to pull our travel trailer with the truck yet, but I'm getting excited. Our new '03 D/A replaced a '00 K2500 CC with 454 and 4.10 gears. The 454 pulled our 7500 lb trailer pretty well, but I'm anxious to see how the new truck does.

My truck is bone stock right now. I'm thinking about putting Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks on to soften the rear when not towing.

stillracing
04-25-2003, 21:54
I run Ranchos 9000's they are very nice, although I do not feel I need to adjust them after towing. I run three up front and four in the rear.

Get a power chip then you will really be king of the road.