PDA

View Full Version : MAF Sensor cleaning???

sonofagun
04-26-2003, 14:00
I'm cleaning my Amsoil air filter today and the MAF looks dirty and a bit oily. I don't notice any performance issues and I don't want to mess it up so--- What is the best way to clean the MAF?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

dmaxalliTech
04-26-2003, 15:59
Bob, JK has mentioned in the past he has had good luck using Electra-clean made by CRC, it doesnt leave a film of oil like standard brake clean might. I suppose you could use rubbing alcohal also.

YZF1R
04-26-2003, 19:16
I think it was JK that mentioned alcohol. I have never looked at one but it sounded as though you don't want to touch it. I believe he just held it by the little mounting plate where the wires plug into and dipped it into a jar of alcohol and GENTLY swoshed it around a little.

Steve

et
04-27-2003, 09:37
Do not use rubbing alcohol to clean the MAF Sensor. When you have questions first try using The Diesel Page search features. Here is a distillation of past cleaning procedures for the MAF Sensor.

Gently rinse the MAF sensor back and forth inside a plastic bag filled with high proof alcohol. Use either 99% isopropyl alcohol or 180 Proof Everclear and not rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is 70% alcohol and 30% oil by volume. This added oil will damage the MAF. Sensor. Ask a local pharmacist or distiller if necessary.

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: et ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
04-27-2003, 12:34
et thanks for clearing that up

c5dura
04-27-2003, 13:45
What? Use Everclear for washing truck parts!?!?!?

Its bad enough that Virginia pulled grain alchohol off the shelves at the ABC store several years ago, now you guys are using it to wash engine parts! :eek: :D

YZF1R
04-27-2003, 16:03
Thanks et, very important detail!

Steve

a64pilot
04-28-2003, 06:35
et,
I think that 30% is water. Either way don't use it as you described. I would use the electra-clean as it's made for it. Used to use freon, of course not anymore.

et
04-28-2003, 12:00
Not to get technical but rubbing alcohol does not use water as a dilutant.

If most people knew what was in rubbing alcohol, they would never use it. By law, the last 30 percent of Rubbing Alcohol contains 250 mL of diethyl phthalate, 40 g of CAMPHOR OIL and either 700mg of Bitrex or 175 g of sucrose octaacetate.

Diethyl phthalate, sucrose octaacetate, and Bitrex are all bitter tasting chemical compounds. Bitrex is supposed to be the most bitter substance yet discovered.

These three bitter chemical compounds are also poisons. For instance Bitrex contains the following chemicals: Acetone, Benzene, Butanol, Chloroform, Ethanol, Ether, Ethyl, Acetate, Isopropanol, Methanol, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Petroleum Distillates, Toluene, Water, and Xylene. The percent of water in Bitrex is extremely small.

At least in emergencies or simulated emergencies you can drink Everclear as long as you cut it with some other drinkable liquid!

[ 04-28-2003: Message edited by: et ]</p>

sonofagun
04-29-2003, 15:50
Good posts all, especially et. a64 did you spend any time in the gulf this time?

Bob

dmaxalliTech
04-29-2003, 20:50
et, we can talk about balancing rates and fuel filter microns and shift ratios and synthetics lubes and .......blah blah blah.... You have officially confused me, I have no idea what you said but I could tell it was scientific cause I couldnt read those big words. :D

OK, nobody ask ET to explain anything else, it makes my head spin!!

et, thanks

sonofagun
05-01-2003, 09:02
Did the alcohol (not rubbing) and plastic bag thing. Looked much cleaner when done. Truck seems to run a bit better and no codes set. I did have to buy a "no tamper or security torx fitting to get the screws off. T20 is the right size. Stuck it in the glove box for the next time.

Regards,
Bob

a64pilot
05-01-2003, 10:40
Bob,
Not there for either war. Was there in 98 when the arms inspectors were kicked out, but Clinton lacked the balls to send us in then. Was there this time last year when we were going to go "deep" and do some things and didn't, and apparently Bush descided not to play games and just get rid of the problem. Anyway I retired just prior to anything getting serious.