PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

WOJO 1
04-26-2003, 15:32
Would someone please point me in the right direction for instructions/link on changing the fuel filter. Could not find through search.
Thanks in advance for the help.

dmaxalliTech
04-26-2003, 15:55
WOJO, you will need to determine if you can get access to fuel filter from above or not. 2002 had mid year design change in a/c lines and late models and 03 its a fight with out removing battery or inner fender, early 02 and 01 there was room to get at it and remove it.

As far as removal goes. Use a strap wrench, large oil filter wrench or similer to simply untwist it. Carefull of the WIF sensor wires that are connected at the bottom, these will need to be disconnected first so as not to damage them. If you are working from above, remember, righty tighty and lefty lucy, its easy to go backwards from this angle. After you get filter loosened, remove it from vehicle through the inner fender or from above depending on your truck. Its been mentioned by several members to put a plastic bag around filter while removing to catch any fuel that may spill. Remove the WIF sensor from the bottom of filter, it unscrews. Transfer this to the new filter and be sure to use the new seals provided with new filter. a small bit of oil or petroleum jelly may help keeps seals from dislodging while installed. Reinstall filter to base and open the bleeder screw about 1 turn, carefull not to drop it. Pump the hand primer on top of the filter base until fuel comes out the bleeder. I like to loosen the fuel cap as it seems to bleed faster. Once you get fuel, tighten bleeder and start. it may stumble and stall, if it does, bleed again. Should only take twice. Reinstall liner if removed and your done. A good tip on the liner that alot are doing is installing Riv-nuts and SS screws to retain it instead of the stubborn oe clips.
Hope this bit of info helps. ;)

technician
04-26-2003, 15:57
WOJO,

I did a search for: Changing fuel filters

First I came to was this but you can look through all of them if you would like. :D :D :D

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002263&p=

Good luck

WOJO 1
04-26-2003, 20:35
Thanks for the help guys. This will be a good Sunday afternoon project.

Alli-max
04-27-2003, 16:38
"Thanks for the help guys. This will be a good Sunday afternoon project."

Yea, and after those 15 minutes are gone, you have time to do more stuff.... ;)

smitheb
04-28-2003, 13:09
What are these Riv-nuts & SS screws mentioned for the fender well plastic?

chuntag95
04-28-2003, 16:00
Smitty31,
There are 8-10 (I forget the exact number) of those plastic clips that you have to pull out the center to release, to get the liner out. If you drill and install RivNuts and attach the liner with SS Bolts and washers, then you don't have to mess with the plastic retaining frustration devices. I pulled my liner our in 1 minute and 12 seconds. It took longer to reinstall, because you have to start all of the bolts. :rolleyes: With the Mega and the OEM filter both behind the liner, I won't need to buy stock in the plastic retainer company.

finnster
11-30-2003, 17:08
What is a RIVNUT ?? :confused:

jbplock
11-30-2003, 17:35
Try this thread...

Rivnuts (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005686)

smile.gif

finnster
11-30-2003, 18:51
Thanks jbplock i just went through the link and viewed all your pics. Very through ang most helpfull for us less experiened.