PDA

View Full Version : Hot Juice/ Attitude and towing

D/A
06-23-2004, 21:20
I tow very heavy around 22,000lbs the total overall weight with the truck trailer and boat. I usually tow in level 1 or 2 and watch the egt's closley I have recorded a max of 1325 The attitude backs down 100% all is well. I am running stock exhaust as I dont like the noise that comes with towing and aftermarket exhaust I like to listen to music instead. I was wondering if anyone has ever towed in higher levels, I was thinking of switching between like level 4 down to 2 at times I know that slipping the allison is possible at shifts Is that also a problem pulling a grade?

[ 06-23-2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: D/A ]

More Power
06-24-2004, 08:25
EGT's can be an issue while towing and using the higher power levels. However, your right foot can also be used to manage exhaust temperature.

The Allison can handle about 90 additional HP and somewhere in the vicinity of 200 lb-ft of torque before slippage occurs in most transmissions. But, this is the limit for an unmodified transmission, and you'll see a durability decline over time if often run at these levels.

If you want more from your truck, you'll need to bite the bullet and install a modified Allison and a performance exhaust/intake system.

MP

CntrlCalDmax
06-24-2004, 11:38
If you leave the EGT limit set the same, running a higher level will not gain you any more performance at WOT. Since it is backing down 100% already (very close to stock), it will do the same at the higher level, only at an earlier throttle position due to the higher selected level.

Kennedy
06-25-2004, 06:14
If you have the hot Juice, then L4 is 125HP which is too much for the stock transmission. Here's what I find happens:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/Trans-slip.html
Some explanation at the web link, image below...

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Trans-slip.gif

jakey
06-25-2004, 08:51
What about the LLY ? Have they done anything to the tranny to beef it up ? Or is the LLY just that much closer to the slip limit ?

CntrlCalDmax
06-25-2004, 10:19
D/A, My earlier response was to address the last question in your first post. "Is that also a problem pulling a grade?" You did not mention if you are running HOT or not, but I agree with others, you do not want to run higher levels towing up through the shifts.

Kennedy
06-25-2004, 10:44
Originally posted by jakey:
What about the LLY ? Have they done anything to the tranny to beef it up ? Or is the LLY just that much closer to the slip limit ? No major changes...

Jesus Freak
06-25-2004, 13:29
John, what do think of that juice, thats on ebay for my truck? Still totally stock, but looking into an exhaust system...Min. you recommend with the juice.. Previously owned product problems???