PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noises

KrustyKruiser
09-18-2003, 16:14
Hi Folks:

I am fairly new to the world of diesels. I bought my '97 Chevy 2500 2WD last fall with 110,000 miles on it, and use it mostly for towing a 4wd rig on a car trailer. No complaints.

In the last few months I have noticed some high level "ticking" noise, somewhat similar to valve train noise. (Not deisel clatter, BTW) I understood the motor has hydraulic lifters and that such noise is not typical (at least in other vehicles I have owned). Are there other components I should be checking out, or just "live with it"?

Many thanks,

Andy

ucdavis
09-18-2003, 16:37
Many have had a ticking from loose injection lines (injection lines come from under intake maifold & run to injectors @ ea. cylinder). Injection pulse is 1700psi so unrestrained line will jump slightly on injection & maybe knock into something.
Hope this is it. Easy to find once you know where to look.

triggerman
09-18-2003, 17:39
The vacuum pump can also make a taping similar to a lifter tap, even tho it will still work ok. If you think it is a stuck lifter, I would put a can of Marvel mystery oil in the crank about 100 miles before your next oil change. That stuff works great for freeing up a taping lifter. check the heat sheild next to the turbo and see if your injector lines are touching the shield. Your 97 has the better line retainers so, look closely for line to metal contact.

tom.mcinerney
09-24-2003, 20:01
Andy- a couple members have noted ticking from front of engine. It was emanating from a worn out crankshaft-accessory-drive-pulley. This mounts to the harmonic balancer and drives the serpentine belt.
Hopefully this isn't your case. But with the mileage it's worth checking, because it can precipitate crankshaft failure. The pulley is heavily damped by a thick(over an inch) 'rubber' drive ring. When rubber deteriorates , cast alignment arms interfere, 'click'!