PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leaks?

Norquist
01-16-2003, 09:03
My 2001 is smelling up my garage with raw fuel smell.
I can't see any dips or puddles just the smell. I have an appointment for the dealer tomorrow, but thought I'd run it by those of you here to see if anyone has experienced this, thus enable me to save time tomorrow and point the "technician" in the right direction.

Thanks

BlackMax
01-16-2003, 11:17
I took mine in last week and the tech said he tightened the screws on top of the pump. I looked before I took it in and could not find a leak. He said it was a small leak and the heat from the engine evaporated the fuel. So far this seems to have solved ths problem.

csimo
01-16-2003, 11:47
Pull your dipstick and see if your crankcase is full of diesel fuel. This has happened to several others. Another indication of this problem is lower than normal oil pressure.

Just a possibility.

KompressorMan
01-17-2003, 19:28
Norquist,
You didn't say how many miles you have on the truck. My 2001 had a similar problem at about 17,000 miles. It was a manufacturing defect that was easily corrected. Something about a widget not getting proper torque. Mine absolutely gushed, not leaked. I'm not sure this is a correlation but I think it is. About a week after they fixed it the rear springs started making a heckava racket. I think all the fuel washed away the deadening stuff. They ended up having to replace the entire assembly on BOTH sides.
Herb

technician
01-18-2003, 19:49
Norquist,
My 2002 had a similar problem. Turned out to be a split in the fuel rail junction block.
Good luck

Norquist
01-20-2003, 10:14
UPDATE: I took it in Friday to have it checked and they said they couldn't find a thing.

Took it home, and Saturday morning started it and moved it out to the driveway to let it warm up.

Went out and saw a drip of "something" under it crawled under the truck and saw a slooow raw fuel drip coming off the aluminmum block the oil filter screws into. Looking further up the fuel is dripping from the drivers side rear of the motor block.

I can't see anything from above where it might be coming from.

What is located in the way of fuel system delivery on the top side, rear motor, drivers side, that it could be coming from?

I've got another appointment tomorrow and would like to point them in the right direction seeing how they I don't think they could find their a$$ with both hands and a flashlight.

Thanks

schnier
01-20-2003, 10:34
I had both common rails replaced on my 2001. Sometimes it would leak from the bell housing area. It was hard to find, they had to run the pressure up to 23,000 lbs to detect it.