PDA

View Full Version : Factory Fuel Filter Pig tail wire

Jim Cobler
06-30-2004, 09:21
I have a little difficulty disconnecting and connecting the wire from the bottom of the factory fuel filter.

Has anyone made a short pig tail wire that would allow you to raise this wire up where you could get to it easier?

Is that a standard connector? Do you know what the connector is called? It would be a piece of cake to make one if you could just get the right size connector.

Thanks,

mark45678
06-30-2004, 12:14
Its not to bad to disconnect if you drop the inner fenderwell down and do your filter over the tire....

DmaxMaverick
06-30-2004, 17:12
On mine (similar to yours), the wire/connector is pretty long if you loosen it from the clip and wire loom a little. I don't have a problem getting to mine, and I don't remove anything but the filter. Not the fender liner, battery, tail light, etc. Some folks do this, but doesn't seem to me to be worth the hassle. I use a 10" extension on my strap wrench with a breaker bar. Once I get the strap around the filter, no problem.

Someone a while back made a suggestion to help minimize the mess of the fuel. It is important because the coating on the frame is wax and will be disolved by the fuel. He used one of those disposable paint can liners to drain the fuel from the filter before removing it. Sounds like a good idea and someday I'll get some of those new-fangled things. Presently, I have a length of fuel line installed on the drain and usually drain it into a used clear pop/water bottle. I like to get a look at what was inside.