PDA

View Full Version : Glow plugs covered under emissions warranty?

Diesel Dame
11-29-2005, 12:37
Someone please enlighten me. I have now had to have glow plugs replaced 2x in the last 6 months. This last time I decided to check out my 2001 warranty book and lo and behold, glow plug are part of the emissions warranty. My dealer refuses to fix without my paying a a $100 deductable. I have called customer care and they say it is covered but he refuses to do the work w/o deductable payment.

madmatt
11-29-2005, 17:07
Get in touch w/ your AVM (area vehicle manager) either through your dealer or customer assistance

sjd_sd
11-30-2005, 10:37
I had a similar problem where they didn't want to pay ANY part of the repair. The service manager was a real jerk about it. I ended up having to call GM who in turn called the dealership to get them to issue a refund check. I did pay the deductable though.

DmaxMaverick
11-30-2005, 13:09
That's a real pickle.

The emmissions warranty does cover glow plugs, but the deductible is $100 for each claim if you are out of your OEM warranty.

The plugs are about $12 each, and replacement time is minimal.

Sounds like your dealer is playing by the rules. That's really all we ask of them.

Diesel Dame
11-30-2005, 14:37
Maverick,
Are you sure? My 2001 Light Duty Truck Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet states on page 13, "Some of the above components may also be covered by the Emission Warranty with no deductible (see pages 21-24 for details)." On pages 21-24 it lists all the parts covered incl glow plugs.

Anyone out there been successful in getting GM to honor the warranty as stated in the booklet?

Amy

DmaxMaverick
11-30-2005, 14:55
I think the key word there is "may". I know the emmissions coverage varies from state to state. This subject came up while I was talking with my warranty manager the other day, and he indicated a $100 deductible for most emmissions items. It is probably a "gray" area, and your dealer "may" have the last word. Some items, such as a cat, are in most cases covered with no deductible. Find the "black & white". It doesn't look like your dealer is making any effort to help you.

atschirner
11-30-2005, 16:53
Watch the 5 yrs in service date on the emissions warranty as well as the 100K. My dealer needed a lesson on the finer points but saw the light. They replaced the glow plug controller last year and a full set of injectors on my 'oh one' at five years and two days in service. God bless GM.

Diesel Dame
11-30-2005, 17:56
But the question is, Did you pay a deductable?

MY claim is both inside 5 years and inside of 100,000

Diesel Dame
12-20-2005, 22:39
Final outcome. Went to my regular mechanic for guidence. After talking to his favoite Chevy parts guy (at a dealer I had yet to try), he asked him who in service he would recommend talking to. My mechanic spoke with the guy and then handed me the phone. He said that since I was now over 100,000 and that they, as a different dealer, would have to start their own ticket for warranty reimbursement they would not be able to submit for reimbursement as my warranty had now expired. I explained what had happenend at dealer stupid and he said it should have been covered w/o deductable payment. He then saw that I had already had glow plugs replaced after paying $100 deductable at dealer out-of-business w/in the last year. He said he would talk to the "higher ups" and get back to me. He had an answer for me in 2 hours--they would do the work w/o deductable!!!! I was so appreciative I had him change the oil which dealer stupid was unable to do as they did not stock the necessary synthetic for the DMAX. Parting words from service guy at dealer highly competent, "those guys shouldn't even be Chevy dealers"--I couldn't have said it better.