PDA

View Full Version : Dead Truck

chrisinkanata
01-16-2003, 12:42
Driving along a highway this morning 110 or km/h (65mph)and the truck started to miss, very minor at first but got worse over the next few miles. Temp was about -20C so I'm thinking fuel is gelling but I use an anti gel additive due to the cold temps. Pull over, add a bit more of the stuff and try to continue. Now I can't get over 80km/h and down to about 50km/h at even the thought of a grade. Now I'm thinking fuel filter but naturally I don't have one with me. Turn around head back to town and call up the the dealer I go to. We have a large account there woth our fleet at work, so the young lady says bring it right in and we'll look at it immediately. Takes me an hour to go the 20km but finally I get there. Now it's barely running. Sure enough they take it right in. Five minutes later the girl comes out and says to me it isn't the filter as I've suggested, but the fuel or injection pump.

They'll call me back later today to advise how long it'll be. At least I got a car from them - a new Impala. Not a bad car but it ain't no 2500 DMax.

Truck has run like an absolute top, 'til this morning. Oh well, **** happens.

In following posts etc here, I have not really noticed a trend in injection pump failures.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent.

Dmaxducker
01-16-2003, 13:53
Just curious, how many miles do you have on the truck? Not that it matters but do you have any power modifications, etc.

SteveO
01-16-2003, 16:53
chrisinkanata,

Ummmm>>> Five minutes to trouble shoot an Injector Pump? Thoses guys are good. smile.gif Not saying they are wrong or anything it's just, Man they are fast...........

Good luck and keep us posted Please we would like to hear the Good the Bad and the Truly Ugly of the Dead Truck............. smile.gif

chrisinkanata
01-17-2003, 06:18
Dmaxducker,

The truck has about 17,000km (10,000mi).

The way it went at the dealer when I got there, he hooked his Tech II right away. The fuel presure was all over the place and there were numerous DTC's. He did not elaborate as to what they were and I did not have time anyway. I am by no means fully conversant with the in's and out's of the the direct rail injection system on the 6.6, but that presure flucuation would tell me that it's either the fuel pump, the regulator, the filter or the sensor. They called me late last night to ask about the fuel in the truck. I had filled up on Tuesday at the place I always use and had gone about 200km before all this started. Consequently, I doubt it is fuel quality issue.

We'll see I guess. Maybe they'll call today or I'll stop by and see what's up.

KompressorMan
01-17-2003, 06:34
Chris,
What kind of fuel additive are you using. I've never thought there was a correlation in using fuel additives and fuel components failing, but the General doesn't advise using them. However in your temperatures, I don't see how you could not use something. Good Luck
Herb

chrisinkanata
01-17-2003, 06:41
KompressorMan

It's a Valvoline Diesel Anti-Gel additive. I use it probably 80% of the time, but do on occasion forget. Last couple of weeks though with with
-30C at night and daytime highs of -15C, I have been far more attentive in adding it.

breeze hotshot
01-17-2003, 09:26
Hello Group.
First time post for this newbe.
About a month ago my truck suffered a complete injection pump failure.
Had about 10,000 mi. on truck.
Water in fuel light came on two days before and I had changed filter.
The truck never stumbled,or hesitated and started just fine.
It just shut down with out a whimper at about 35 mph.
I tried to start it twice then got out and saw fuel all over the road
Dealer said the pump looked like it exploded in side !
On the way home water in fuel light came on again so I bought an electric pump
and purged the tank completely and changed filter.
I have another 5,000 mi. on it now mostly towing with no problems.
Anyway I just thought I'd add my truck to the list of pump failures and warn ya
about the dreaded water in fuel situation.
Have a goodin and be safe!

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: breeze hotshot ]</p>

chrisinkanata
01-18-2003, 16:09
Well I'm a happy camper again. Picked the truck up this morning and it runs just as great as ever! -24C and it fired right up. No injection pump or anything major. Took the tech most of Thursday and Friday morning to determine the problem was caused by a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor. They got one this morning and the truck runs great.

Hope that'll be my first and last trip there for a while! Not because of the service....it was excellent (Myers Chev Olds for anyone in eastern Ontario) but I worry about it's dependibility after spending that much money for something .

I worry too much!!!!!