PDA

View Full Version : speedometer sticking???

im_chad
03-07-2005, 16:51
I have question for all. I have an '03 2500HD Dmax/Allison and recently have been noticing an issue with my speedo. It seems that after I have been driving (aprox. 45 min.) when dark, and the headlights on, that the speedo starts to stick a little when decelerating and then locks up at around the 30-MPH location. Then it is completely unresponsive until the truck is turned off and then cools down for a period of time. Then in the Morning before I start it up, it is still at 30-MPH but at startup the gauges attempt to reset and it will drop the speedo 5-MPH to 25 and treat that as 0-MPH so the speedo will show me 25-MPH fast. Then if I shutdown and restart then it will drop another 5-MPH to 20-MPH, and so on after each restart, until it reaches 0-mph and will act normally, until I have been driving (after-dark, w/ headlights on 45 min. again) then it will start to stick on deceleration and lockup around 25-40 MPH area and the same reset sequence the next day. I purchased this truck used and the previous owner told me of a headlight brightening kit that was installed. I am not sure if this is pertinent?

Thanks in advance for any info.

More Power
03-07-2005, 20:11
Sounds like you may need a new instrument panel cluster, but a Tech II scan tool (or a Predator) could be used to verify that the vehicle speed is being read correctly by the ECM. Unless over 36,000 miles, this should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

MP