PDA

View Full Version : Edge 4.61

Bulldogger
01-17-2003, 13:12
Hi, new to the BB but have been reading just about everything posted. I have a neww 2003 Crewcab 3500 with the Duramax /Allison combo. My question is on the updated version of the edge box 4.61, have all prior issues been corrected such as "fishbite" stalling etc.. I'm ready to start doing my mods and was just looking for an update from prior posts. Thanks the site is great and very informative. Dave

GMC-2002-Dmax
01-17-2003, 13:22
Bulldogger,

Yup it works Flawlessly - Just do yourself a favor and get the HOT Juice and a set of EGT/Boost guages.

Edge is awesome as far as service as I am sure the advertisers are on the DP.

Kennedy sells them and others.

Good Luck.

P.S. If and When you get it you will really have a hard time wiping the smile off your face ;)

GMC :D

JEBar
01-17-2003, 15:14
have 4.61 and it has given excellent service over a wide range of conditions .... mine is hot but not super hot :cool: ... can highly recommend it ... Jim

TN farmer
01-17-2003, 15:20
I have had v4.61 for a couple of months and enjoyed every second. I have the HOT version and have not had any problems with the Allison going into limp mode. You will think you are driving a totally different truck!

mackin
01-17-2003, 17:25
The Juice is SWEET.....

I am also running 4.61 HOT ,flawless is correct.....If you want to save your self some Dead Presidents and a kite flyer,latch on to a refurb while there still available......Once gone,they won't be back....You snooze you lose.....Same warranty as NEW !!!!!!!!

MAC

Dave_WB3FYV
01-17-2003, 17:41
Well, lemme tell you about Edge Products and Juice 4.61.
I had been fighting all the reported problems with my truck and the earlier versions of the Juice, to the point that I just tossed the box, version 4.3, into the backseat and forgot about it for a while. Tuesday I get a notion to call and check what the latest version is, still 4.61. I asked about sending mine back for a re-program and nearly fell on the floor when Aaron VOLUNTEERED to immediately send me another box already programed to 4.61 "so I wouldn't be without it for too long". How's THAT for customer service!!! I was so flabergasted that I said No, then had to call right back to make sure what I heard and see if the offer still stood! Four days later, the Big Brown Truck drops a package into my hands and I had 4.61 plugged in before the driver was even out of site!
It's a good thing I have an extended cab, my head would have bounced off the back glass otherwise! This version has all the problems fixed AND more power to boot! My '01 is a little more persnickedy than most, seems like I was the last one having problems, but not anymore!

Only problem is I have to disconnect it or set it to level 1 before I let the wife drive it, she'd kill herself!

..wait, lemme re-think that...

;)

Get 4.61, it works.

kerry witherspoon
01-17-2003, 18:46
hey davy put insurance on wife and truck and let her use it

KompressorMan
01-17-2003, 18:49
Well heck, there's always one, so I guess I'm it. The first version I bought, 4.XX was a dog. Except for the four rev confirmation,I couldn't even tell it was on. It would also occasionally stall. I called Kennedy Sales and they said send it back and we'll update it. So I got back V4.3X and HoLy CoW, I could not believe the power the thing had. The mid range was phenomenal. Only one thing, at a constant speed of about 47-48 M.P.H. it would turn on direct inject and just make a hellava racket. Once again I sent it back and got another one, this time a new 4.61 (John said the one I had couldn't take the new programing). There was also one more return but I can't remember the problem.
Now I have this 4.61 and I have tried turning it off, then on, back to level 1, then level 4. Each time it gives me the confirmation, BUT it just doesn't have the power the early version had. In fact I can't tell much difference between off and on. Go Figure. Kennedy's are good people, and I'm not bashing Edge but it doesn't have the "Juice" it had.
Herb :confused:

Riverholic
01-17-2003, 22:10
I have to agree with all the others! This thing is GREAT!!! I got it for myself for x-mas and I still am smiling everytime I have to go somewhere. No problems at all. I have the HOT juice and it is incredible. I did have to tell them that I have a CA truck and they had to program the juice accordingly. When you get it you will see just how truly powerful this monster is!!

ccds
01-17-2003, 22:54
I have had my juice 4.61(not hot) since early Nov. and I am completely satisfied. There were no problems at all. It gives me more power than I will ever need and is rock solid. Got it from JK and had great service.

Love it is all I can say....

another happy JK customer

smile.gif

DURAMAC
01-18-2003, 14:17
Great site have been member since September 2000, site was reason for buying d/a in 01. Spend hours reading not posting.
Question on "HOT" Juice.
Would have ordered refurb Juice from Kennedy but they were no longer on his site.
Ordered "HOT" Juice from dealer in Oklaoma City it shows Version 4.61 but not any thing about being hot version, also my receipt doesn't say anything about being hot.
Should I be concerned? Thanks Dura Mac

SteveO
01-18-2003, 15:11
DURA MAC,

Did you tell the poeple you wanted a 90HP or the 125HP??

90Hp is the Normal Edge Box
125Hp is the Kick in the !!! Hot Juice!!! Eddge Box.. They look Identical on the outside.....

4.61 is just the software level..

mackin
01-18-2003, 15:22
DURA MAC

That is an excellent question,unfortunately...... :(

Most here would probably tell you we have someone autograph on the bottom side with HOT written on it.....

That drives a nail into buying from a reputable dealer...... :eek:

Not saying at all where you bought it may not be.....

I guess Edge could tell if they were given the serial number perhaps.....Assuming they loaded the HOT program at the reseller...This is probably the case ....Hopefully they just forgot to mark the Juice box.....Was it marked on the outside of the box by chance????

Good luck and let us know how you make out....

MAC

DURAMAC
01-18-2003, 15:33
SteveO
I ordered the hot version and paid for the hot version but my receipt only says duramax performance modul.
It seems to have good power but with out having anything to compare with would be upset if paid for hot and recieved regular Dura Mac

Bulldogger
01-18-2003, 15:34
Duramac, There are refurbished Juice bowes 4.61 version available from Diesel injection service. They are 599.00 plus shipping for my area it was 6.00 bucks extra. Spoke to rep. from Edge and these boxes are all the ones sent back to be updated. They're fully inspected and are no different then new. Dave

DURAMAC
01-18-2003, 15:54
Bulldogger
I called Diesel Injection they didn't have "HOT" in refurbished units

Dura Mac

TraceF
01-18-2003, 16:03
What's the difference between HOT and SUPER HOT?

wild bore
01-18-2003, 16:31
Can the regular be upgraded to hot? If so how much extra is it?

mackin
01-18-2003, 17:40
TraceF

A whole lot of fun "IF" it ever happens......

Dura Mac

You won't find a refurb in HOT.....Get a refurb have it upgraded if you chose.....

wild bore

Yup ... As can the refurbs.....Going rate is $300 over and above cost of regular Juice......Do it ,don't look back.....

MAC

:D :D :D

sdaver
01-18-2003, 18:36
you want be disappointed........with the juice or edge......nice additional punch with hot.....set normal in 90 hp and towhaul in 125 you can feel the difference and see it in the boost guage......... :D dave

wild bore
01-18-2003, 18:44
Alright, you twisted my arm enough. I`m going to do it. :D But, I do have a few questions. Is there anything I should know or any special procedures not in the instructions. You know, something you guys might have found out the hard way.

Also, is it okay to drive everyday on level 4?

sdaver
01-18-2003, 19:44
can be kinda tough on tires and mac's drivers lic. points........ :D dave

drthv8r
01-18-2003, 23:33
I purchased my Juice box from JK. It was a refurb unit and I had John reflash it to Hot Juice. Man this thing sure is fun to drive now... smile.gif . No fishbite just plenty of go.

Kennedy
01-19-2003, 09:48
The ONLY way to tell a HOT from STD is on a dyno OR if you hook it to the "Juicer" programmer. Aside from that, you'll have to trust the vendor. I have begun writing HOT on the program label with a marker. Previously, I was writing notes inside the shipping box.

P.S. There also should be a disclaimer to be signed/returned with any HOT program...

motovet
01-20-2003, 01:58
WB, one thing is you should NEVER use the hot level on wet roads. If you do, take it easy on the go pedal....it can sneak up on you. For that matter be careful with the 90HP setting.

wild bore
01-20-2003, 19:48
Thanks guys, I ordered the regular juice, I can always upgrade later. But I think 90hp should be plenty, for now anyway. The a-holes that drive aruond here go out of there way to not let you over, if they even see you looking in the side mirror, they speed up. Although the truck can take most of them, it doesn`t hurt to have a little edge. tongue.gif

KompressorMan
01-23-2003, 20:08
Earlier in this thread I posted less than great results with my 4.61 module. Well, that may have been a little premature. I went to the dealer (less juice) and had them update both the TCM/ECM and put the transmission in fast learn. That has helped tremendously. It doesn't have the zip that one of the earlier ones had but not far off.

I'm wondering though, when I sent the thing back to begin with for reprogramming, could HOT Juice been inadvertantly programed in? I got it from Kennedy and he's been great to work with, but I'm wondering if he slipped me the monster and neither one of us new it. That thing was awsome
Herb smile.gif