PDA

View Full Version : EGT and Boost probes

denverdale
07-03-2004, 12:02
Ok! I hate to show my ignorance, but where does the Edge and Attitude get the EGT and Boost info from? Do you need to install after market probes?

Thanks

Denverdale

Idle_Chatter
07-03-2004, 12:48
No ignorance, just an honest question. The Edge Attitude reads boost off the CAN bus, which is more accurate than the usual tapped gauge location on the wastegate as the factory boost sensor is on the intake downstream of the intercooler. EGT, however, requires tapping an exhaust manifold to install a pyrometer that comes with the Attitude. Since I upgraded to the Attitude from a previous Juice version, I had already installed Isspro boost and EGT gauges in an A-pillar mount. My gauges are tapped into the wastegate hose and the pyro is in the passenger side manifold. I mounted my Attitude on the dash next to the existing gauges and put the Attitude probe in the driver's side manifold. The Attitude boost reading is faster to respond than my gauge and reads about 1 to 2 psi higher. The Attitude EGT responds faster and agrees pretty well with the Isspro gauge (once it catches up).

denverdale
07-03-2004, 14:08
Thanks Tom
I wasn't sure if a pyro came with the attitude or not.

Dale

More Power
07-03-2004, 14:51
In addition to two illustrated instruction pamphlets, you'll find everything shown here inside the Juice/Attitude box. This is a complete kit, requiring only basic hand tools, a 1/8" NPT (pipe thread tap), drill and drill bits.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/attitude01.jpg

MP

Spartus
07-05-2004, 18:41
Not to hijack the thread, but when installing the EGT probe, should the exhaust manifold be REMOVED when doing the drilling??? If not the metal debris will get sucked into the TURBO, correct??

HawgGuy
07-05-2004, 18:50
If you drill it with the engine running, the shavings from the manifold will be blown into your face (hint: wear goggles).

Idle_Chatter
07-05-2004, 19:15
Good point, Spartus. Some have removed the passenger manifold, but the driver's is really buried in shields and obstructions. Most have drilled and tapped in place. I drilled my passenger side with the engine running. I drilled the bottom of my driver's side without the engine running, chips fell straight down, used grease on the bit and ran a magnetic retrieval tool around in the hole before and after tapping. Oh, by the way, the chips (which are very small in the cast iron) are BLOWN into the turbine side of the turbo, which is a substantial cast iron part in a cast iron housing shared with the bypass valve and exposed to considerable heat and soot - very little risk.