PDA

View Full Version : Oil Looks Clean

denverdale
07-07-2004, 12:41
I had the oil and filter changed on my 6.6 duramax about 3000 miles ago. Looked at it just now and it looks clean as new oil and is over full. I have noticed a load tapping noise lately and wondered if I might have an infector that is overfueling?
You guys are the experts in my books, so what is your opinion of possible problems? Or is 3000 miles to early for the oil to look black?

Thanks
Denverdale

Rockin
07-08-2004, 04:56
Your oil should look used. Otherwise it isn't doing its job. What kind of oil is in it?

LanduytG
07-08-2004, 05:11
Sounds as if and injector is going. Keep and eye on the oil level and see if it continues to come up.

Not uncommon for the oil to look clean at 3000 miles if you're not towing. These motors have and incredible seal.

Greg

denverdale
07-08-2004, 06:23
I'm not sure of what kind of oil is in the truck right now. It was changed at the dealers last time. Usually I use the Rotola-T (sp) and at 3000 miles, it would be almost black.
I have towed only once since the oil was changed. That tow was only 100 miles, but up the mountains.
Thanks for the replies.

Denverdale

1BADDMAX
07-08-2004, 10:21
My oil usually turns black within 500-1000 miles. At 800 miles an injector failed and the oil was clear on the dipstick. It's not even clear when new (more of a golden color). It's in the shop right now. I'm out of town for a few days so I guess the loaner will be sitting at the airport smile.gif

BTW truck had nearly 81,800 miles when the injector failed. Only light towing. Guess it was my time.

jbplock
07-10-2004, 05:26
Dittos to Greg's post. The oil in my 03 with no power mods or towing stays fairly clean on the dipstick. I believe the main reason is that the efficiency and precision timing of the Duramax common rail system produces less soot.

http://thumb3.webshots.com/s/thumb1/6/68/83/74166883ZQtfsc_th.jpg
Dipstick at 3kmiles (http://community.webshots.com/photo/65003591/74166883ZQtfsc)

The picture shown is with an OilGuard bypass but the oil color was about the same before I installed the OilGuard.

The warning sign is if your crankcase is overfull. Here is a quote from a post by dmaxallitech for a quick check of the oil for fuel dilution.

"Check the oil and perform the 'paper towel test'. Put a drop of oil on clean paper towel and watch it wick, fuel and oil will wick at different rates and fuel will show up."

smile.gif