PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a B&M electronic shift kit? I need help!

Shaun091382
09-19-2003, 15:54
Hi i just recently purchased a B&M shift kit for the 4L80E tranny and my dealership had trouble locating the correct wires to install it too..so i would appreciate any comments from anyone who had installed this kit on their '93-'95 with 4L80E tranny..(the dealership said there was more then one place that it could have been connected and didnt want to install incase something burned out on the pcm) thanks for any information.

mhagie
09-20-2003, 06:55
Shaun,If the B&M shift kit is brand new I would contact B&M they should have tech support that can help. If they build it they should support it.

jjgmc96
09-20-2003, 11:58
I looked for my intstallation instructions real quick and didn't find them but from what I remember there was specific instructions for the 6.5. I mounted mine just to the left of the steering colume with velcro, then routed the cable behind the dash to the computor. Disconnect the batterys pull the computor unplug the wiring conector specified and find the two wire colors specified and crimp on the wires with the provided crimps. I didn't like the crimps but I've had no trouble with them. tyewrap everything up leaving enough slack to be able to get the computor back in. The instructions were prity good, from what I remember.

jjgmc96
09-20-2003, 12:00
I should add that was for the B&M Shift + Kit.

kowsoc
09-24-2003, 20:56
Yes, I installed the ShiftPlus in my 94 recently. I don't recall any confusion as to duplicate wires. I think it called for a certain colored connector to the PCM and two colored wires. It took maybe an hour total. I looked for my instalation instructions and also couldn't find them. :mad:

I also put my switch within reach as you can change positions on the fly with no codes.

I think everyone should install this kit if you are still running a stock trans. It's cheap and it really crisps up the sluggish stock shifts.

ToddMeister
09-25-2003, 05:38
I also installed the B&M shift improver recently. The job took less than an hour. I splice-soldered the two wires into the PCM harness. I don't like those clip-on splice connectors at all. The instructions were very clear on which PCM wires to use. I mounted the controller down on the black hvac box down below the dash near the glovebox. Don't even notice it's there. On setting one and running a chip, the shifts are dang near perfect. Setting two is a bit harsh for me.

advanracing62
09-25-2003, 06:52
I'm not sure about the benifits of the **** kit. Does it improve overall performance of the trans? Make the truck "faster"? Help with towing? I'm new to auto trannies and conversly, have no idea why you'd want a **** kit

marktara
02-05-2004, 23:05
Has anyone installed this on a 98 or newer truck without any problems?

TurboDiverArt
02-06-2004, 03:44
Originally posted by advanracing62:
I'm not sure about the benifits of the **** kit. Does it improve overall performance of the trans? Make the truck "faster"? Help with towing? I'm new to auto trannies and conversly, have no idea why you'd want a **** kit I don't have one on my truck yet. A shift kit has a couple of benefits. First off it increases line pressure to the clutches. This has the benefits of making the shifts faster and not have a nice soft lag that the stock transmission has. This increased pressure causes less slippage on shift since the application of the clutches is much faster and harder. In addition, the increased line pressure gives additional clamping force to the clutches so less chance of slipping when in gear. Also, and I don't know if the B&M does this but it probably does, is that they increase pressure to the converter for lock-up. When the converter is locked up it holds better, needed when towing.

Art.

kowsoc
02-06-2004, 05:50
Art, yes you are right. The extra line pressure ensures no clutch slippage and risk of burnount when maximum torque is required as in towing or hard accelleration. The torque convertor lockup also see's more pressure and it applies more quickly with less slip.

The B&M ShiftPlus is a great piece. I run stage 1 all the time. I think this is where the factory should have set the line pressure as the shifts are quick but not harsh. Stage 2 is quite hard, only for harder accelation or towing.

Dave C
02-06-2004, 06:35
Originally posted by marktara:
Has anyone installed this on a 98 or newer truck without any problems? Might Help.... I did some checking and found this web site:
http://www.thunderracing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=subcategory&subcategoryid=1105
It contains the following statement:
"B&M Shift Plus Shift Improver, 1993-1998 RWD & 4WD 4L60E & 4L80E Transmissions (Will NOT work on 1993 or 1999-up model F-bodies)"
Not sure what "F-bodies" are but you might want to do some more research before buying one. :cool:

Dave

MTTwister
02-06-2004, 08:42
So - this does more than the home-made TCC lockup switch - where you install a switched 50 ohm resisitor between 2 particular wires from the tranny to the ECM?

edit - TurboDriverArt - kinda implying that the TCC lockup is still an unkown with this package. I would 'guess' that if the 2 specific TCC wires aren't involved in the install, that maybe it doesn't.

Price is right!
More real world experience with it out there, please ?

diesel65
02-06-2004, 15:47
F-Body were the Pontiac Firebird and the Chevy Camaro.

GARY PAGE
02-07-2004, 15:37
I am getting ready for a new year of camping and will be towing my 30 ft 5th wheel so I am going to try one. My tranny has 236K mile on her and all new solenoids and she shifts stout. I thought it would be something else to play with so I ordered it from AutoZone today, Saturday, so it