PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Performance

fishhead1076
12-21-2005, 05:40
Has anyone had any experience with the predator by Dr. Performance? Have an aftermarket dealer close by who recommends it w/out gauges, they claim this thing will not harm the motor. It all plugs in under the hood, it's what I'm looking for (easy removal w/out detection). They want 600 bucks for installed, they do carry the edge w/ attitude installed for 800 bucks.... decisions decisions......

Mark Craig
12-21-2005, 08:20
fishhead1076,

When someone posts that they were told no gauges were needed no matter what brand module or programmer I get REAL nervous, thats a very broad statement. I would go with the Edge, it's proven and has safety EGT defueling and a full gauge set to monitor what is going on. If you want call us we have a pretty good price on Edge and it's a easy to install it yourself. We even have the A pillar and overhead Attitude mounts that make it look like a stock GM part.

Mark @ DPPI

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2005, 10:28
You have been misinformed!

As Mark said, any supplier that recommends any power adder be used w/o gages is a very broad statement. Any of them, if used on its lowest setting are fairly safe. On the same note, any of them used on higher settings can, and will, cause need for parameter monitoring (EGT, at least).

Secondly, the Predator IS NOT an underhood device, like the Edge Juice. The Edge Attitude mounts in-cab, with the underhood juice module. Predator is a programmer, and is plugged into the ALDL(diagnostic) port under the dash, programmed, then removed. It adds/alters program instructions to the vehicle's ECM. An added bonus with the Predator is its rather extensive diagnostic (code call/reset), data display abilities, tire size, axle ratio, and speed limiter adjustment. Predator does make underhood modules, but none are for GM trucks.

Kennedy
12-21-2005, 10:36
You'll have to look atthe Dr P product, but from what I've seen it is merely a fuel rail pressure sensor fooler in many cases.

I guess the first question that I have for you is what year is the truck?

The Dr. P Predator is different from the Diablo Predator and subject of some potential litigation...

[ 12-21-2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

DmaxMaverick
12-21-2005, 10:57
Uhhh...I knew that :D

Of course, John's right.

fishhead1076
12-23-2005, 12:23
2004.5 with 25K on it, I am very skitish on adding aftermarket products to it. I love the truck and low end is great but top end with the fifth wheel leaves a little to be desired. My first choice would be the edge w/attitude, but my concern is pulling it if I had to take it to the shop, what does a fella do with the pyrometer and boost leads once unplugged? I really dont care for the pillar mounted gauges, sure wish GM would start adding boost and pyrometer gauges in dash (wishful).

Back to the Dr. Performance, the after market dealer recommends it. I dont understand how it can increase performance but not increase temps. Dealer also stated no smoke, said it would burn cleaner than stock?

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2005, 12:53
Beware of marketing strageties. Some "dealers" will do or say anything to get your money, then deal with issues, after they have your money.

Pretty tall claims, IMO.

Another thing to consider....
Save the install $$ and do it yourself. None of the common devices are difficult if you have minimal skills and common tools. You still have TDP members to help you along with it. For the cost of the install, you can have gages, too.

Kennedy
12-23-2005, 13:44
Edge EZ and Boost Stick are my recommendation for a nice LLY tow setup. I can state for a fact that EGT's will remain perfectly acceptable and lower than stock in most cases, but without gauges you are running blind and have no way to detect potential problems.

The stock LLY will easily cross 1500

poolman12
12-23-2005, 16:32
Fishhead1076
Used edge on new 2002 D/A & it pulled everything i wanted great.
Used edge w/attitude on 2005 D/A & pulled everything & was much better have attitude to monitor egt's & etc & help on abuse when needed by defueling, as I understand it. Probaly safer than stock because of this.
When I traded mine, nothing left to show except plug I put in exhaust manifold where attitude hooked in. If I would have had any trouble would have removed the same way. All my dealers have been great about mods, but they have to watch for national reps who may go by the book & put GMC 1st & not customer. Always towed in tow haul & setting 2 with juice.
Have a 2006 LBZ with extra power but feel lost & unsafe without Attitude or gauges.
Have a nice day
Poolman

PS still long winded!

MikeC
12-24-2005, 19:40
John,

Knowing you there probably wasn't a "need" for more power but you did "want" more. :D

Happy Holidays!!

Mike

Jomar
12-25-2005, 12:58
FishHead;
Listen to JK. I did and got the Edge EZ from him and it works great pulling my 5er. I like it better than the Predator. Put my foot into it on the hills between Kerville and San Antonio and the egts got about half way into the yellow for just a little bit. I haven`t tried the boost stick so I can`t comment on it.

Jomar

fishhead1076
01-07-2006, 17:26
I finally got my glow plug problem lined out this past week, they installed a new controller and all is well. Now that I have everything operational on the truck I am looking to take Uncle Sams refund and dump it into the ole power up shelf. I think I have my heart set on the juice/attitude set up, I like the integration and overhead console setup with the attitude. Got a month or so, then we'll see how it does!

thanks for the input....