PDA

View Full Version : Installation of a second alternator

Mark Meyers
07-10-2004, 09:17
Has anyone installed a second alternator on their 2002 DuraMax? Most of the mounting is there and it would appear that only a couple of bolts and a small bracket and idler along with a belt are required for the installation. But how does the alternator get connected to the ECM and is it already programmed to accept the second alternator? If it is already programmed for two alternators why does it not report a problem with the second currently non-existent alternator? Do the two alternators need to be matched? Or can you use the original Delphi AD-230 and add a second Delphi AD-244. It would appear from the service manual that the two alternators operate in parallel and that the regulator in each would handle the load sharing. Anyone out there selling a kit with everything in the box? Thank you. Mark. kd6kyy@email.com

oyazi
07-10-2004, 20:18
Do a search. There is much info on the subj. I did mine ~ can't recall everything but our serpentine belt will be different if we have the CA model.

[ 07-11-2004, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: oyazi ]

mdrag
07-10-2004, 22:31
Mark Meyers,

Check this topic for instructions (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001640) on the dual alt install. it should answer your questions. Good luck.

Kennedy
07-11-2004, 10:48
Be sure to keep your old belt OR buy a spare dual alt unit. These won't be on the shelf most places. The original belt can be reinstalled in an emergency if you remove the lower attach bolt from the second alternator.

This is from experience as I had one itn with a shredded belt and ended up robbing my single alt belt to get him on the way...

Still running a single alt, and even with 2 amps and 70w lights, keeping up just fine...