PDA

View Full Version : SPEEDOMETER GOING 30 AT A DEAD STAND STILL

CAPTAIN CALIBRATOR
12-22-2005, 08:58
IHAVE A EXTENDED WARRANTY .THEY SAY THEY HAVE TO HAVE TRUCK DOWN FOR AN UNKNOW TIME POSSIBILY 1 TO 2 WEEKS . I HAVE A 03 3500 DUALLY ALLISON DURAMAX . ANYBODY GOT A CURE ? I NEED MY TRUCK TO PULL MY TRAILER CAUSE I HAVE A GOOSENECK HITCH . DEALERS SAY BACK ORDER TO GET REPAIRS DONE. I GONNA SEE IF I CAN BUY ONE THEN TAKE TO THE SHOP TO PUT IT ON . HAS ANYBODY ELSE DONE THIS????

Heartbeat Hauler
12-22-2005, 11:50
I don't have a cure, but they may have to replace the IPC. If they are not sure what they are doing they may want the extra time in case of a problem. IPC = Instrument Panel Cluster. I'm thinkin' it's all one unit and if one thing goes bad they replace the whole assembly. I think there is a chip that controls everything in the cluster and it receives it's signal from the vehicle speed sensor VSS. That could also be a problem...is your odometer working OK? It also operates on the same signal.
JP

GMC Tech
12-22-2005, 18:20
Here we go! Second request for this info. Need to go to the dealer and they have to replace the IPC. Very common problem. As for buying one... doubtful you could get one. Has to come from repair center.
Also must be programed for the vehicle!

2003-2005 Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac All Full Size Trucks and Utilities Programming IPC/Trip A or B Displayed/Clicking Noise From IPC/Gauge Needle Sticking - keywords cluster oil tach temp tick speedo #PIT3327E - (Mar 11, 2005)
2003-2005 Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac All Full Size Trucks and Utilities Programming IPC/Trip A or B Displayed/Clicking Noise From IPC/Gauge Needle Sticking

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a clicking noise coming from the I/P cluster or gauge needle sticking. Also reports of the DIC displaying Trip A or Trip B on 2003 or 2004 vehicles after an replacement IPC is installed.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Root cause appears to be the stepper motor in the cluster. Due to the magnitude of this concern, certain I/P clusters are now on backorder and the electronic service centers can not meet the demand for new/or remanufactured clusters. Enhancements have been made to the stepper motors and IP clusters. The supplier has made available a significant number of replacement clusters to address the back order condition. These clusters include improvements to internal rotors and a new motor design which will address concerns with noise and gages. The Electronic Service Centers (ESC) should be able to address dealer orders going forward as a result of better communication with the supplier. Until backorder situation is completely resolved, most replacement IPC clusters will be 2005 model year part numbers.

madmatt
12-23-2005, 05:03
They can be bought outright. I'm waiting on one for a customers truck right. When you order it you'll need the complete VIN, IPC P/N, and guesstimated milage for time of repair. There on massive backorder and I was told 4-5 weeks monday. To get the P/N you'll need to pull it w/ a tech2 or remove the IPC and read it off the label on the back of it.

CAPTAIN CALIBRATOR
12-26-2005, 07:13
THANK FOR THE INFO . I CA'NT AFFORD FOR DEALER TO HAVE TRUCK TO LONG . HOW HARD IS IT TO GET IP ## OF SPEED O ???? I WONDER IF MY MILAGE IS OFF DUE TO THIOS PROBLEM I ALWAYS THOUGHT MY SPPED O WAS 5 T0 1O OFF , WHATS THE COST OF ONE . CAN;T I ORDER IT AND HAVE IT INSTALLED?? IF THIS IS APROBLEM WITH SO MANY GM VEHICLES WHY NO RECALL CAUSE ITS DEFFINETLY UNSAFE . DOES THIS AFFECT TACH ALSO ????

01max
12-26-2005, 19:02
I was told today that g.m is going to cover the speedo problem under warranty to 80k. I will try and get more info tomorrow

01max
12-26-2005, 19:05
I also forgot that some dealers will let you stop by to get the info they need and the will call you when the cluster comes in. that way you wont be without you're truck

drthv8r
12-27-2005, 20:23
My speedo needle ended up stuck on 80 MPH with 20,000 miles on my 2004. I stopped by the dealers they checked it out then ordered a new speedo head it took close to a month to come in. It only took an hour or so for them to replace it.

CAPTAIN CALIBRATOR
12-28-2005, 20:07
THEY KEEP TELLING ME THEY ARE GOING TO SOLVE PROBLEM AFTER FIRST OF YEAR . THIS HAS TO BE A SAFETY ISSUE . THEY SAY TO DRIVE IT BY RPMS .WELL HOW MANY PEOPLE PAY THAT MUCH ATTENTION AT 20 , 35 , 40 , WHILE THEY DRIVE TO THE TACH ??? NOE 55 ,60 65, 70 75 OK ,I WONDER IF THEY WILL PAY TICKETS ??? HA HA !!!! THANKS EVERYONE I LOVE THIS WEB SITE TELL PEOPLE ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME .

Freeman777
12-28-2005, 22:04
I have the same problem myself. Until they can get this resolved, some possible interim solutions would be to use the speedometer abilities of the various GPS systems. I generally only use my Magellan 700 for trips, but I will probably put it back on the dash. I'll make a graph and let you know what 25mph, 35mph, 45mph, etc,etc. reads RPM wise. It should be a pretty close reference if you're running 265's and a 3.73 rear end.