PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on a problem

reel time fishing team
07-13-2004, 09:18
OK, this group was a real help a few months ago when my tranny went on the blink, ended up with a new one. Now I have a new problem, don't think it is the tranny but I guess it is possible. Here is what it did. While towing (about 8000#) after a somewhat harder shift than normal going from 3rd to 4th (low 40's), the truck acted like a governor kicked in. It was not the tranny in limp mode, I had lots of experience with that earlier in the year, it shifted fine but when the rpm's hit 1800, it would not go any higher. It did not matter what gear it was in. SES light came on (I am having the code pulled today). I could get the truck to shift ok at low rpms but every time it hit 1800 it was like it hit a wall. Up to 1800 it acted normal. Pulled over and shut the truck down for about a minute. Started back on the road, the same thing, pulled over again and let it sit for several minutes. It has been fine ever since. Any thoughts??

Kirk

More Power
07-13-2004, 13:57
Knowing what code(s) were being set would be a big help.... but...

Was the engine running on all eight cylinders when it acted up? Generally, the engine will go into limp mode (reduced power) if the ECM detects a problem (usually fuel injection or timing related).

MP

rickdlance
07-13-2004, 14:03
I hate to say this, but INJECTORS. The code may be "large fuel leak"! This in my experience means injector problems. Check you oil to make sure it is not above full.

reel time fishing team
07-14-2004, 04:17
Well just got word from the dealer and Rickdlance is correct. Not sure about the oil but they told me this morning that they are replacing all six injectors. They said it should be ready Monday. At first they were not even going to give me a car but I helped them see the light. Lets see, transmission shot at 65k, injectors at 77k. Whats left to break? I guess the doors could fall off. I guarantee this will be my last GMC product!

Kirk

Kennedy
07-14-2004, 06:38
Hope they do all 8 not 6.

Anyhow, this one shouldn't cost you a dime, so I see no reason to poo-poo GM until the repair is completed and you see how it goes...

reel time fishing team
07-14-2004, 07:10
Yes it is 8, my bad. GM has been great in repairing the problems. The tranny was replaced free of charge (I paid $1k in labor) despite the fact it was 30k miles out of warranty. The injectors will be completly free. My compliant is two fold. First with the tranny, it was in the shop for 24 days (no one could figure out what was wrong). Now I have a major failure in another component (the power steering pump was also replaced but I am not counting that). So in 77k, I have a new tranny and now new injectors. I guess I have driven *** vehicles too long but I don't consider the major problems I have had to be acceptable. While GM's response has been great, I am used to putting major miles on vehicles with NO problems. I recently sold my wife's Avalon with 198k miles. Nothing was done to that car except tires, oil, timing belt...just routine maintenance. Now I experience this? It is not exceptable to me. When I pay over 40k for a truck I do not ecpect it to lose injectors and a transmission in less than 80k miles. I fed the thing Primrose 405 to lubricate the injectors, I change the fuel filter every 10k instead of 15 as recommended, I use Mobil 1 engine oil, I change the tranny fluid every 25k and use Transynd. Maybe I was just unlucky, I know that happens but don't expect me to be happy about it.

Kennedy
07-14-2004, 08:07
Transmisiion problems are few and far between with the Allison. Generally simple issues in most cases. Dunno what your issue was, but more of a fluke by the sounds of it.

Injectors are a known potential problem, and have extended coverage.

I've got about 65k on my 2002, and aside from driver induced clutch burning in the Allison, it has only had a belt tensioner, and a bowtie in the grille replaced under warranty...

Aside from some issues with aftermarket trans wiring, and valve stickage, it has always gotten me where I'm going and back without missing a beat...

rickdlance
07-14-2004, 08:44
I hated to be right, but that was what happened to me with the injectors. I have 155,000 miles on my 2001 with some stacked chips, 4 " exhaust, K & N air filter kit, stock allison, and the only thing likely to fall off will be the tailgate when the straps break. ONLY THE INJECTORS HAVE BEEN CHANGED!! Nothing else, not even brake pads. It has been to the dragstip a lot, and I race everything that will race me. About 100,000 of those miles have been pulling trailers, mostly grossing over 24,000 pounds. I just wish my 2004 was 1/2 the truck. I would say you have about 150,000 miles to go before major problems set in.

rickdlance
07-14-2004, 12:05
I could sure use another 01,02, or 03 ext. cab lwb drw Dmax/allison??? I'm not afraid of your truck. I'm a little sour on the 04 lly.

BassinRVer
07-15-2004, 06:32
Why are you sour on the LLY?

reel time fishing team
07-15-2004, 09:54
A good deal of my current frustration is left over from the tranny debacle. The truck was in the shop for 24 business days 4 months ago. The last 3 days were when they decided to and did replace the transmission. The root of that problem was that no one was qualified to look at it. All the dealers in Raleigh apparently do not send there folks to training on the Allision. The thing that really sent me for a loop was that there is an Allision dealer in Raleigh but GM would not let me take it to them. Stop the insanity!! So after many phone calls and some much appreciated help from some Allision field enginneers the problem got far enough up the food chain where the regional service guy got involved and within three days it was fixed. I have to reiterate that in both cases GM stood behind the product, the tranny was 36k out of warranty and they provided all the parts for free. Of course the injectors are covered so GM has spent about $14k on this truck in the last four months. I appreciate that, I really do but at this point I have lost all confidence in the truck. I need a reliable vehicle as I fish a lot of fishing tournaments and have thousands of dollars tied up in entry fees and other costs but if I can't get my boat to the tournament, I can't participate.

hd90rider
07-15-2004, 11:12
Rickdlance, How bout an 02 crew,dually. all hitches & air bags & 115 gal tank? hd90rider@aol.com

rickdlance
07-15-2004, 13:52
As far as why I am sour on the lly I have had mine looked at 5 times and complained about it 2 other times. It is low on power, gets poor fuel mileage (5-8pulling an empty trailer 13 empty), and overheats. When I called GM corporate to start a case file they told me they knew they had a problem and as soon as they knew how to fix it they would fix mine. I have started a lemon law case on it and just waiting for a response.

As far as an 02 goes please e-mail with all info. I just bought an 03 2 days ago and would like to update my last 01 as well.

hd90rider
07-16-2004, 05:44
Rickdlance, need the address or e-mail me

rickdlance
07-16-2004, 08:23
rftj@netzero.net
Sorry, I thought you could click on my name to do this.