PDA

View Full Version : Boost Stick Installation

AndyU
11-20-2005, 16:56
I just ordered a Boost Stick and extension from John Kennedy's website for my 2005/LLY. In anticipation of installing it, I'm asking for any tips or advice you all may have to offer. I looked at John's instructions (boost stick installation instructions (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/booststickinstallation.pdf)) but I have to confess I'm still not real confident about exactly what to plug/unplug, where and how. Any advice (for dummies) that you all can give to help keep me from screwing this up would be greatly appreciated!

mcmonroe
11-20-2005, 17:05
How much boost are these things supposed to add? How much power are folks seeing with this increase in boost?

Mark

Kennedy
11-21-2005, 07:25
The OE connector shown in image 2 is what you are disconnecting and pulling up for better access. Image 1 shows where the connector is located.

Some remove the serp belt and unbolt the AC compressor to swing it away, but I fish it in with a wire hook or remote grab tool. Once you have the extension in all the rest is simple.

AndyU
11-24-2005, 06:38
I'm going to install it this morning. If I get a turbo bark, and I have to disconnect the EGR where is that? What do I need to do?

AndyU
11-24-2005, 17:25
Update:
I installed it today. It requires having skinny 8 inch long triple jointed fingers to connect up, but since I didn't have those, I managed it with a screwdriver, a wire hanger and a few choice incantations. I drove around a bit until the truck was warmed up, then tried a couple WOT runs. In normal gentle acceleration from a stop, I noticed more turbo whine right away. It felt like there was definitely more power, and it was quicker off the line. I could easily break the tires loose with the Edge EZ on 3. But as soon as the rpms wound up I'd get what must be the "turbo bark" others have referred to. I'd get a loud coughing noise as the rpms were peaking before a gear shift accompanied by brief power loss, then it would recover after shifting and dropping the rpms. So what are my next steps to address that? TIA.

Kennedy
11-25-2005, 06:47
I've heard accounts where the bark gradually diminished with time as the EGR system seemingly "learned" to be less aggressive. The simplest thing is to reach in and unplug the EGR valve electrical connection. It WILL set codes, but so long as the SES light stays off it will not take corrective action. I do have a "Blocker Package" that will correct this also.

AndyU
11-25-2005, 09:44
I unplugged it. We'll see how it goes.

AndyU
11-26-2005, 13:33
Update:
I unplugged the EGR valve and the "bark" is gone.
When I initially installed the boost stick, as I mentioned before, I had the turbo bark accompanied by a brief power loss. What I didn't mention before was that I also had a significant drop in fuel efficiency, at least 2 mpg. After unplugging the EGR, I drove about 50 miles and was getting what appears to be better mpg than before I installed the boost stick. I'll let you know for sure after a few weeks driving, but it looks like I may have gained 1-2 mpg. I definately have more power and better throttle response. That better mpg would be a huge plus on top of that! So far so good! :D