PDA

View Full Version : performance- where to start

advanracing62
09-20-2003, 08:01
Now that I've finally got my truck CELs fixed, it's time to start the modding. I'm moving to Cali. in about a month so keep that in mind. I was thinking of getting a 3" down pipe, with a 3.5" exhaust. Also was thinking about adding a chip. I think I want to get the exhaust from Kennedy but not sure on the chip. I saw a BD chip in the classifieds. I don't have a clue (as usual) about what to get and what not to get, what's a good value and what isn't. I thought I'd get a little advice from you all... TIA!

Uncle Wally
09-20-2003, 11:15
Advan,

Glad ya got the problems fixed.

As for performance, I would work on making the air pump more efficient. This sounds odd as a statement, but if you race, you should be able to grasp it. An engine is an air pump. The more air it can breath, the more power you be able to get out. There are limitations, but it's always a good place to start.

Step 1 - I would do the mods Kennedy suggests on the intake as they are cheap. A good air cleaner (K&N or Amsoil) are on that list.

Step 2 - Exhaust system. Kennedy's exhaust for this is top notch. You can't go wrong with it. For CA emmisions, you'll probably need to leave the cat installed. I would knock the insides of it out to free it up a bit. I'm not from CA, so I'm not sure what kind of inspections they perform on these. You might need to purchase something that has a CARB certification for it. They might grandfather you in as you are from out of state. I have no idea.

Step 3 - Gauges. Pyro for sure. Boost is nice.

Step 4 - Chip. I just bought one from Kennedy. I have yet to try it out as I needed to install a new turbo, so I can't tell you what it's like. There are enough people on here that should be able to help out in that aspect.

There are other things you can do too. 97+ cooling upgrades are a really good idea. I did that right before I went out to PA earlier this year, and was glad I did. We would have had to pull over several times to let her cool down if I wouldn't have done it.

I'm sure others will chime in on this one, but that's what I would do (and have done thus far - I just did more to make sure I got the most out of it).

Have fun,
Waldo

rjschoolcraft
09-20-2003, 13:53
Go with Kennedy's chip. He has several levels of performance available and is very willing to help you make the right choice.

I would get boost and EGT gages first then do the exhaust and air filter. Next, I would recommend the late model cooling upgrades plus the Kennedy fan clutch. After that, the Kennedy (Spearco) intercooler would get my vote.

advanracing62
09-20-2003, 20:46
I've ordered a 3" downpipe and will be putting a new exhaust on the truck here in the next week. I reall think it's smart to flow air, and then add the chip. I've started the air box mods, just have to pull the intake plenum and radius the pipe/cut the webbing. Just from removing the snorkle and radiusing the lid and intake funnel I can HEAR a difference. (note I can't really FEEL anything at this point, I think removing the webbing will be the FEEL factor) I'm looking for a muffler now, something straight through in a 3.5" ID-anyone on here know of a good deal? I've got a place that will finish the piping for me, which should save a bit of cash.. TIA!

N7CX
09-25-2003, 04:20
Summit racing has some inexspensive large pipe diameter mufflers. summitracing.com I haven't used one but that is where I intend to buy mine.
I am currently not running a muffler and the noise isn't bad but there is a lot of resonance inside the truck.

advanracing62
09-25-2003, 07:06
one thing that I've been thinking about, seeing as emissions are high on my truck right now, is installing a cat when I go to the station. Funny how when I lived in Montana.. I didn't realize how lucky I was not to have to deal with this crap everyday. The cat would act as a soot trap, which I would imagine lowers the % of opacity. Anyone else have some insight about this? Is a cat really needed? I hate emission testing!!!!!

David Brady
09-25-2003, 08:12
Advan,
I've had my 6.5 TD for 4 years and a 6.2 before that for 4 years and never had any emissions test or inspection of exhaust or anything. I believe diesels are exempt in CA and that has been my experience. I have the L56 with the EGR half ton and recently put the non EGR manifold on with good results. I have seen sniffers set up on highway on ramps, I believe checking for red dye fuel. I haven't seen them for a couple of years, probably because we spent all the budget on electricity. I think you'll be fine with no cat, I want to remove mine when I can justify the cost to replace perfectly good pipes.

pannhead
09-25-2003, 14:20
i've always had a diesel here in CA...no testing or inspection ever...i'm surprised because they sure put our gasser thru the ringer...then again nothing seems to make sense in CA :rolleyes:

britannic
09-25-2003, 17:25
When I registered my CUCV in CA, they were only concerned that the VIN matched with the chassis and body; once it was established as being a diesel, I was smog exempt!

advanracing62
09-27-2003, 10:33
Well I have to admidt that is the best news I've heard in a bit.. well except for my HP and TQ #s on my race car!!! This is an excellent bit of info!!! Thanks to those that live in Cali, I'm going to start making this little piggy into a wolf in sheep's clothing (Why is it that I can't just leave things alone? smile.gif )

advanracing62
09-28-2003, 09:51
I finished the JK air mods last night.. took my time porting the intake- Turbo whistles like a factory worker! definately feels like there is more there now! Boost spikes about 10psi and will sit about 5psi at WOT. Seems low to me.. I've still got to get my downpipe and exhaust put on, but I'm sure it will make a HUGE difference...