PDA

View Full Version : Which Assembly Plants in US are the GM HD Trucks with Duramax engine built?

Swamp Rabbit
11-21-2005, 06:42
With GM announcing the possible closing of many assembly plants, wonder if this will affect where the HD trucks are to be built in the future.

Sure hope the GM HD truck production is not changed to Mexico like some Dodge/Chrysler products.

Deansel
11-21-2005, 07:38
I'm not convinced that having vehicles built in Mexico is so bad aside from the associated loss of American jobs. Our last two cars were built in Mexico and we found them both to have very good fit and finish. I can't speak to the reliability of the new one but, the previous one served us very well. Also, the Mexican employees at the local Mexican restaurant put every other restaurant to shame in terms of service. They are very hard workers and I don't mind tipping them well - they definetely earn it.

AndyL
11-21-2005, 12:20
I agree, if they are lucky enough obtain a job at the manufacturing facility, which is consiered a great job, they work hard to keep it.

People talk down about the foreign wages, but without the comparative low wage they wouldn't making any at all! I am not saying I agree with it, but some cash is always better than none.

Swamp Rabbit
11-21-2005, 13:30
My previous truck was a 2000 Dodge 1500 extended cab built in Mexico. I owned it for a couple of years and traded it for my current GMC HD CC Duramax. The Duramax now has 124,000 miles on the clock with a minimal number of problems and absolutely no rattles.

I had the Dodge for only 50,000 miles with no mechinical problems, but it always seemed loose and rattled in several places from nearly day one. I really enjoyed the Dodge ride and handling but it was limited in pulling compacity.