PDA

View Full Version : LB7 / LLY

DocsRoper
03-17-2005, 07:13
I am new to this site....and I am sure this topic has been beat to death, but here we go again. I am in the market for a used Duramax....I was thinking either an 03 or a late model 04. Now the big question is which is the better motor all around, considering reliability, fuel, durabilty, and power. Any help would be greatly appreiated.

More Power
03-17-2005, 08:24
Pros & Cons for LB7 & LLY....

The 2001-2002 LB7 have a 7-year/200,000-mile fuel injector warranty.

The LB7 has been around longest, and the aftermarket has them pretty well figured out, which means there are more options and power potential available. In addition, the dealer service technicians have the most experience with them.

The LB7 produces on average 1-2 mpg better fuel economy (see polling data in this forum).

The LLY eliminates the possibility for an injector induced fuel/oil dilution problem. Injectors are easier in most respects to replace if that becomes necessary.

The VNT (variable nozzle turbo) turbo and computer controlled EGR used on the LLY add complication. It isn't quite clear yet whether a VNT helps or hurts.

Programming and driveability appear to be a bit more refined with an LLY equipped truck.

MP

MPH
03-17-2005, 09:13
If you're going used, i would buy an LB7. I miss mine more everyday. Hard to beat the feel of an LB7 with the edge/attitude setup.

Kennedy
03-18-2005, 06:30
Depends what you want to do.

I like my LLY as a daily driver and light towing. I haven't hooked up to anything big yet, but it seems quite capable.

My LB7 loves to play and loves to tow heavy. It's a little less responsive down low, but that's a product of how I have it set up.

Either one is good, but at the present level of mods available, the LLY does not respond like the LB7.

Steve N AZ
03-25-2005, 06:41
The LLY is my first experiance with a Duramax, I can tell you that pulls 28,400 LBS (total wieght including the truck) just fine with the Juice / Additude setup (level 1 or 0). Will be changing the exhaust next for temp concerns, but I would have no reservations about buying another one.

DocsRoper
04-18-2005, 12:36
Thanks for all the info guys. What is the warranty on a new Chevy Duramax and Allison from the factory. I'm looking at a 2005 3500 Crew Cab 4x4. It will be a daily driver and will have a three horse slant load gooseneck behind it on the weekends. The wieght won't an issue. My main concern is to have a reliable truck and have a warranty for at least 100k.

Freeman777
04-18-2005, 13:27
DocsRoper, Welcome to the site; I'm sure you'll find it very friendly and informative.

I bought my LLY on July 1, 2004 from a dealer in Kellogg, ID. Dealers here in Las Vegas wanted to gouge my eyes out for a fully loaded 3500. I pull a 36' fiver (GVCW approx. 22.5k) so I had Banks (Azusa, CA) install the Six-gun bundle w/ Speed loader - Impressive! (I tow on pos. #3, which equals a 60 hp boost) I was offered a unique 100k warranty ($2995.00) in the respect that if I don't use it within the 5yr/100,000 mi. period, they'll return $2500.00. To me that's a lot of peace of mind for $495.00!.