PDA

View Full Version : Power Service fuel treatment????????

dmaxmule
07-17-2004, 18:25
Does any one know anything about this brand of treatment? How does it work, is it safe for our d-max, is it an emulsifier or demulsifier? I looked on there site and could not find anything. They said it disperses water. What does this mean exactly? Total power disperses water, so does this mean power service is an emulsifier? Power Service was recomended by a friend, and I decided to check into it.

thanks dmaxmule

jbplock
07-18-2004, 03:06
dmaxmule,

I used Power Service for many years before switching to Stanadyne and never had any problems. The description of their Diesel Fuel Supplement+Cetane Boost (http://www.powerservice.com/dieselfuel_supplement_cetaneboost.asp) product says "Does not contain any alcohol of any kind" - a good thing. Also, I once wrote them an email asking if their product was an emulsifier or demulsifier and they said it was neither (??). You might try contacting PS directly - I found them to be very responsive to questions.

smile.gif

silverback
07-18-2004, 09:56
I found this site: GM TechLink (http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/apr03/TLApr03e.html) in an earlier discussion of fuel additives. Very informative and defines emulsifier and demulsifier. I have also been interested in trying Power Service. I'm looking at the Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost (no need for a winter product in Phoenix AZ). Probably buy some today if Auto Zone carries it.
Ken

max out
07-18-2004, 16:55
I've ran it in my truck now for 19000 miles with out a hitch, I also run it in my tractor and it really makes it run smoother and quiter. don't really notice a difference when I fill truck without adding it though,but a big difference is noticed when added to tractor.

DMAXED
07-18-2004, 17:14
I have been using power service for 3 1/2 years in every tank of fuel I have not had any trouble so far (nock on wood) this past winter a few of my buddies trucks gelled up and in my truck with power service no problems I would recommend it.

tswartos
07-19-2004, 13:56
u probably dont need it every tankful in a D/A but works wonders for the 6.5...at least in my case. I've tried it in my duramax and would use it on a trip to ensure a decent tankful.

VA_Dmax
07-21-2004, 02:22
I emailed PowerService several months ago because at the time it had no statement about containing alcohol. Looks like it is posted on the web site now that it does not. But here is the email response I got back:

You will be glad to know that our Diesel Kleen is also alcohol free and it also does not have an emulsifier either. GM posted a Technical Bulletin several months ago that warned against the use of any additive with an emulsifier or alcohol. An Emulsifier will pull free water up into the fuel in the form of water droplets. As the fuel passes the filter the water separator would pull the water droplets out of the fuel. GM has noticed that this was causing some severe problems so they do not recommend an emulsifier. Also, in the winter months these water droplets were being pulled out of the fuel and freezing on the filter face causing "Fuel Filter Icing". The filter face would be frozen and thus not allowing the fuel to pass through the filter even though the fuel was still liquid.