PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Pouring From Overflow

Lt .59
03-20-2005, 17:43
Howdy,
Today I noticed that coolant was running from the overflow tube, and eventually (very short period of time) there was approximately an inch left. The low coolant light came on.
I ended up pouring approximately three quarters of a gallon of coolant into the reservoir. Am taking it in to the shop tomorrow am. I'm thinking that it might be a thermostat issue. Hope it's that easy. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
DW

[ 04-03-2005, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Lt .59 ]

sdaver
03-20-2005, 18:25
hope Its that easy...........could be an injector cup seal leaking and allowing the coolant to become pressurized........search under injector cup and chris hunt

OC_DMAX
03-20-2005, 18:27
Could also be a headgasket. Good luck!!

Viking
03-21-2005, 04:02
Lt.59 What are you driving?

Lt .59
03-24-2005, 15:28
Howdy Again,
Took my 2001 Chev. Dmax/Allison to the dealer Monday regarding the fluid draining from the holding tank. They checked things out and could not find a definitive problem. Hope he is correct. Thanks for your feedback.
- DW

[ 04-03-2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Lt .59 ]

heartbeatcanada
03-25-2005, 17:28
Grab the upper rad hose and see if its rock hard. If so, its either injector seals, or more than likely headgasket.

Lt .59
04-03-2005, 17:18
Here's the deal. Got the truck back from dealer. They're going to replace the thermos as I understand it. They had to order the parts. Am going back in tomorrow. When I left the dealer the first time and up until two days ago, I noticed that the fluid levels in the reservoir fluctuated quite a bit. One time it was right, the next and inch or so above normal. However, the low coolant light never came on. But, yesterday she started doing the same thing that I originally took her in for. The coolant reservoir started purging itself again. And the engine was cool. I did notice that prior to turning the engine on, the coolant level was where it usually is, when she's hot. Oh well, will just have to see how it shakes out. Thanks for your input.
- DW

Lt .59
04-07-2005, 16:40
To All,
Thanks for all the information that I received from you regarding my coolant issue. The dealer replaced the thermostats but did not resolve the issue. They're going to get into the engine on Monday. They believe it's either the gasket or seals. So will see what happens. Thanks again.
- DW

More Power
04-07-2005, 17:10
Lt, As others here have mentioned, I'd expect a leaking injector cup seal. It's possible a head gasket is leaking compression pressure into the cooling system, but less likely. In the few reported cases I can remember, head gasket leaks resulted in leaking coolant to the outside of the engine.

For the first couple years of production, GM replaced the heads when this happened, but the last I've heard, they are now allowing dealer techs reseal the cups. Perhaps Matt could shed some light on the current repair policy.

Good luck,

MP

heartbeatcanada
04-07-2005, 18:28
I just had my headgaskets replaced, and yes it caused coolant to be pressurized. Symptoms were upper rad hose hard like an intercooler pipe :eek: , coolant resevoir leaking fluid out the overflow, releasing the resevoir cap with massive pressure, not just the normal quick blast, but 10 minutes releasing the pressure if you didn't want to wear coolant, and temperature gauge swinging from normal operating temp to bone cold and back to operating temp constantly.

madmatt
04-07-2005, 18:35
injector cups become a problem when combustion gases blow past the cup to head sealing area into the cooling system. this is more common and more likly then head gaskets in your case since there is no signs of external leaks or rough running/cross firing. To diagnoise several steps can be taken and I usually do all to rule out anything else. first check for cooling system pressurization, then a cylinder balance test, inspect the glow plugs for coolant fouling, then perfrom a cylinder compression test and leak down test to verify the affected cylinder. Other systoms may include white smoke or coolant smell from exhaust. This problem can and has occoured after injector replacements and the cups can now be resealed @ your dealer w/ out removing the heads as required previously. the Bulletin # for this condition is PI01249.

dmaxalliTech
04-08-2005, 19:01
I have seen a ton more head gasket issues then cup seals. The cup seals that get resealed never turn into a long term repair. I know of more then a few STOCK trucks with issues that had cups resealed and still had trouble. When I pulled the heads, tht bolts were rusty and the gasket sealing layer was obviously gone for some time.

T-stats seem to be replaced alot for this symptoms and I can count on my fist how many times I have seen it cure it.

Lt .59
04-09-2005, 08:44
FRIENDS,
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS. YOU FOLKS ARE ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. HOPEFULLY EVERYTHING WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF WITHOUT FURTHER ISSUE. THIS FORUM IS A VALUABLE RESOURCE FOR US CHEVY DIESEL OWNERS. I'VE EVEN PROVIDED THE SERVICE PERSON WITH SOME OF YOUR COMMENTS AND THEY'VE APPRECIATED THE INFORMATION AS WELL.
SAD PART IS, EVEN AFTER SHE'S REPAIRED I PROBABLY WON'T BE ABLE TO DRIVE HER, THE WAY THE PRICE OF DIESEL IS!!!! HAVE TO GET A HOME EQUITY LOAN TO PAY FOR FUEL SO WE CAN GO ON VACATION!!!!
AT ANY RATE, THANKS VERY MUCH AGAIN, AND GOD BLESS.
- DAVE W.

PS: I'LL POST AGAIN AS SOON AS SHE'S OUT OF THE
SHOP.

MIKE MOG
04-11-2005, 16:39
Hi lt.59.
keep us informed on the coolant problem. YES this is a great site, I hope the cost of fuel goes down also. I have planned a vacation from Cleveland to Hiltonhead this summer and I don't know if I can afford the fuel cost. I e-mail the Congressman and told him about how diesel is less refined than gasoline and it costs more per gallon, I will let you know if I hear from him,
Mike

Diesel Crat
04-12-2005, 04:03
Brother's 01 EC SB had the same problem. It burped a nice puddle on his garage floor. Dealer diagnosed the failed head gasket and replaced. I think he had around 30K on the truck.

hd90rider
04-14-2005, 08:44
I had the same prob. on mine a couple yrs. ago . Turned out to be a combination of a head gasket, and a crack in the left head,between the valves. It only showed up under a hot pressure test. Funny thing was,GM told the dealer which head to test. (Had this prob. befor !!!!??????)

Lt .59
04-16-2005, 17:40
Hi Folks,
Well here's the deal so far. My truck has been torn down and after running some tests the mechanic found that one one the head gaskets had been leaking, evidenced by rust in several spots. He also replaced the cups. Supposed to have her back on Monday. Event though he says the other side tested OK, I'm a little concerned that this could pop up again in the future. I'm going to ask him on Monday if it would be wise to change out the other gasket just to be safe. Any other thoughts you might have before they close her up would be appreciated. Thanks for all your input and comments thus far. God bless.
- DW

madmatt
04-17-2005, 17:40
I think I might try to work some kind of deal w/ them to do the other side. say 50/50 or split it parts/labor. just for a little reassurence due to the fact you've experienced one failure. explain to them it may save one or both parties some money and headaches at a later date.

Lt .59
04-22-2005, 19:13
Howdy All,
Well I got her (2001 Dmax Allison) back yesterday. Here's what the repair personnel did:
Replaced two thermostats-pressure tested-no coolant leaks found-purged air from cooling-test drove-tested radiator cap-replaced cap-checked in AM: Found bubbles in cooling system - performed cylinder leakage-minor leakage in all cylinders-resealed all injector cups-retested 38,34,#2 cylinders still had minor bubbles in cooling system. Removed cylinder head for inspection found head gasket blown-checked for warpage/no warpage found- stripped head to check for cracks-OK-reassembled-test drove-problem corrected-has oil residue from cranking with coveroff-will drain off.

I've driven her for two days now, and everything appears to be OK. All your comments came in very handy and were greatly appreciated by not just me, but the mechanic as well. Anything I should watch for, post surgery?
At any rate, thanks again for all your help. Can't say enough good things about The Diesel Page, and those who are so helpful. God bless.
- Dave W.

madmatt
04-23-2005, 13:17
I just keep an eye on the oil pressure and level to make sure all the lines under the covers are sealed good.