PDA

View Full Version : adding acetone to Diesel could increase fuel economy..??

Tough Guy
03-21-2005, 13:23
Check out this thread: THREAD (http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=99upgen1&Number=2319683&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=all)

interesting stuff.

someone try it and let me know if if works...

Cheers

MIKE MOG
03-21-2005, 16:03
NOT ME!

tanker
03-21-2005, 16:52
Tough Guy, in my younger wilder :D days I would try almost anything, but acetone? :mad: Good greif thats some nasty stuff.
I can see the service managers face :eek: we found this "STUFF" in your fuel, and it caused it to go boom!! :D
Not me. ;)

Viking
03-21-2005, 17:04
You first Tough Guy!

Tough Guy
03-21-2005, 18:41
Here is the direct link to that article: http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

I think the TDP admin should conduct this test for the greater good of the page....

I might do it in the 6.5L....just need a little courage.

Cheers

Iain
03-22-2005, 13:59
I quickly skimmed the pesn.com link you posted. It seemed to only mentioned GAS engines. I have a 6.5 and I don't think that I would want that stuff in my tank.

Idle_Chatter
03-22-2005, 15:47
Iain, you skimmed too quickly. It not only mentions diesel, but the graph even has a diesel curve in it. It *does* however focus a lot on gasoline.

Hmmm, lets see... I have to make a 1900 mile run to Idaho this weekend. If I add 6 ounces of acetone to my 40 gallon aux tank and 5 ounces to my OEM and it gives me 18% more mileage - that's 3.5 more mpg (on my 18.5 highway) for 22 mpg. That's 86 gallons versus 103 gallons. At 2.25/gal that's a savings of $38.25! Is it worth it? I'm not so sure.

Tough Guy
03-23-2005, 17:23
Fuel will cost a little more around these parts I reckon... I am paying $2.59 right now.

Desparate times call for desparate measures....acetone might help...or it might cost you an engine.

Cheers

tanker
03-24-2005, 01:45
With the high price of fuel now, :mad: I have slowed down and picked up a few mpg's. That 75+mph is a real killer on mpg's. :rolleyes:

eracers999
03-24-2005, 06:04
Im game, im going to do some cetain testing and see if this shows a improvment. 2oz in 10 gal shouldent hurt a thing. Good post! Tom, you should post this in your old neck of the woods.

Kent

Jim Cobler
03-25-2005, 08:12
We need to get a university involved in this issue. They have the facilities and the money to do a proper test based on the actual mixture. When you read these links, they say what the effect of acetone on neoprene are but assume 100% acetone. Five ounces in 10 gal. may be OK but we should know not experiment.

Leave the testing to the people who can test properly and safely.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

bobo
03-26-2005, 10:22
I am looking at my girlfriends bottle of Nail Polish Remover. It is 100% Acetone. It's tempting to try. I don't have the testicular fortitude right now. I will after a twelve pack of my favorite courage in a can. I'll tell her to keep that stuff hidden!!

jbplock
03-26-2005, 17:04
There is also a BITOG thread on this topic as follows:

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage 15-35% (http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003059)

(I don't think I'll be trying this anytime soon. :eek: )

madmatt
03-26-2005, 19:55
Why not? I don't imagine it's much worse then the anti-gel a lot of people run. Then theres the people spraying water/meth,,,,ever see what methanol will do to rubber? Someone had to be the first to try it. I think I'll volenteer one of my customers trucks. We're pretty slow right now and I could use the extra work putting a new engine in (under warrenty of course) :D :D !!!

turbovair
03-31-2005, 10:00
I wouldnt want to risk $4000 in fuel system repairs!!!Not worth it.

CleviteKid
04-07-2005, 14:58
The PESN website says Acetone helps economy by lowering the surface tension of gasoline, so it evaporates more completely and burns more completely. Evaporation is only loosely correlated with surface tension. It takes heat to evaporate a liquid (which is why acetone dropped on your skin feels cool, it sucks up the heat in your skin so it can evaporate).

But if someone thinks surface tension reduction would speed up evaporation, try this experiment.

Put two identical bowls of water, filled to exactly the same depth, side-by-side on the kitchen counter. But in one, you put 1/2 ounce of dishwashing liquid (for hand-washing, not for the automatic dishwasher :rolleyes: ). The soap will definitely lower the surface tension, by a factor of 10 or so, but see if that dish of water will evaporate any faster.

Dr. Lee ;)

CleviteKid
04-07-2005, 14:59
The PESN website says Acetone helps economy by lowering the surface tension of gasoline, so it evaporates more completely and burns more completely. Evaporation is only loosely correlated with surface tension. It takes heat to evaporate a liquid (which is why acetone dropped on your skin feels cool, it sucks up the heat in your skin so it can evaporate).

But if someone thinks surface tension reduction would speed up evaporation, try this experiment.

Put two identical bowls of water, filled to exactly the same depth, side-by-side on the kitchen counter. But in one, you put 1/2 ounce of dishwashing liquid (for hand-washing, not for the automatic dishwasher :rolleyes: ). The soap will definitely lower the surface tension, by a factor of 10 or so, but see if that dish of water will evaporate any faster.

Dr. Lee ;)

sabercatt
04-07-2005, 16:24
are you sure your not confusing evaporation with vaporization?