PDA

View Full Version : Old vs. New Allison

DuramaxDicko
07-10-2003, 18:28
I remember seeing somewhere that there is a way to tell the difference of a rebuild allison vs. a new allison.

anyone know the difference?

the reason I ask, my truck has less then 650 miles on it and GM is replacing the tranny and I want to make sure I get a BRAND NEW Allison put back in the truck.
thanks
dick

D'Max_2_DA_Max
07-10-2003, 19:40
DuramaxDicko,
What happened that you needed a replacement so soon?

tysmith
07-10-2003, 19:44
Early on I believe they were using new trannies, just painting them black. Now that they probably have cores, I can't say. A better question would be why they need to replace it at only 650 miles? :eek: I just rolled 87 miles. Hope its not in my future. My '01 was much quicker, but it was getting pretty well broken in... Now you've got me thinkin'...

Ty

DuramaxDicko
07-10-2003, 20:16
yep, pretty scary? huh?

I was coming back from lunch and got to a light just before making a right turn into our parking lot.
There was a one car in front of me waiting for the light to turn green, it turned green, he went, I stepped on the pedal and nothing, looked down to make sure I was in gear and was in drive, then looked at the DIC and seen "Range Shift Inhibited" on the read out.
There were two buddies with me and one grabbed the owners manual and it said if you get this message put in park or neutral and try the gear again.... tried many times, no move.

Steeler (nah, not really, he was more upset then me about the truck having to be put on a flatbed) told me yesterday that after them having the truck a couple of days and GM and Allison having them do some tests, said the tranny has to be replaced. He also told me that they know of known problem with the Allison but don't know how to fix it (yet).

So, needless to say, I am not more ****ed then the dealer now.
I told him and also GM today, that the tranny MUST be a new unit and not a rebuilt one or I will not pick up the truck... they both assured me that it "should" be. That is why I want to know a way to "make" sure it is a Brand New transmission.... it has to be... got less then 650 miles on it and this little baby will more then likely be my last truck.
I am going to hit GM up for the extended warranty (free of course) that way, it doesn't cost them a dime (unless I use it after the 3rd year) but this way, they make me happy/stand behind their products/and I don't have to worry about anything else for 7 years.. ... I really hope I can swing that.
Dick

DuramaxDicko
07-14-2003, 10:14
from my understanding... and an email I got...

"How to tell a rebuild: They are re-serial numbered, with the first digit a 9 instead of a 6."

anyone confirm on this?

thanks
dick

gene smith
07-15-2003, 17:50
was in ft smith ark about a month ago and a customer was raising hell about them putting a reman trans in his truck that the factory left a line loose and it blew on his way home after he just took delivery, truck showed 47 mi, they were trying to tell him it was a new one and his argument was that he could read and pointing at a tag riveted to trans stated remanufactured by allison. never did here the outcome but as mad as he was i bet he won

DuramaxDicko
07-27-2003, 17:52
gene smith,

They are reman tranny's. Looks like the guy that told me the serial number would start with a 9 is correct.

I had my transmission replaced with less then 650 miles on the truck.
have pictures of the installed transmission here:
http://1netweb.com/images/tranny/allison.htm

I did notice yesterday, (have truck back for a week) that I am now getting some kind of very loud howl/buzzing (noise occurring intermittently)
also have noticed 2 times what sounds like someone under the truck hitting the floor board, a very dull clunk, this happens while taking off from a stand still (like from a stop light)

guess I have to take back in on Monday.

by the by.... I am not a happy camper and very ****ed off now.... having some other problems with the rebuilt unit in the truck now.
GM so far is not doing much, but I still talking with them, have a call on Monday and will have some info about the tranny.. I just hope that the dealer can see/hear these new problems.

king D
07-31-2003, 05:08
check the bolts in the rubber support bracket that holds the tranny and also try to grease your rearyoke to ee if that helps