PDA

View Full Version : More Fuel Capacity

rglady
07-27-2003, 18:30
Hello ,I was wondering if anybody out there has a transferflow 45 gallon relacement tank. If so how is it working out, and how does it affect the DIC (Drivers information center) on the 03s.Are there any other replacement tank that are good.With all that room under the Cab and bed you would think that GM would give you a bigger tank than 26 gallons, or at least an option for a bigger tank.

hd90rider
07-27-2003, 19:26
rglady, I have a 115 gal tank in the bed . operated by an electric solenoid from a switch in the cab. it is wired to read the fuel in which-ever tank you are using at the time. have used it in 2 trucks .

chevmeister
07-27-2003, 20:56
from what i have read the DIC does not work correctly after you change the tank. dont have an 03 or a transfer flow.

jbplock
07-29-2003, 03:36
rglady,
Try searching the Duramax Forums (2500HD/3500 Accessories) for info on transferflow. I have seen a lot of posts from people who have added additional fuel capacity to their trucks. smile.gif

ndamico
07-29-2003, 11:51
i've got one on my '02... fuel gauge still works, although the first 1/2 of the tank goes almost twice as far as the last 1/2

hoot
07-29-2003, 11:58
Mine seems to have gotten worse after 50,000 miles. I used to not fill till 1/4 tank, with 80 miles (home then back) to go. Now I have to fill at 1/2 tank. The float/sensor is screwy.

My normal paranoia kicked in and I started watching my oil level thinking an injector was leaking. Everything has been fine and mileage is good.

D/A
08-06-2003, 23:49
I also have the 45 gallon replacement from Transfer Flow on my 2002 and love it. Its great being able to drive many more miles without adding more fuel. I really like it towing because its sometimes a real pain stopping to fill up getting in line waiting or sometimes having to back up with a trailer on. The only thing that I dont like is it hangs about 1 inch or so below the frame. Its really built tough though they said they drop test them full of water 30 feet and they dont break

Jack's Dmax
08-07-2003, 03:25
I have the TFI 45 gallon tank and it is a great addition to the truck. With the short box, it was a logical choice.

The only problem is that the DIC still thinks that the fuel source is only 26 gallons.

Because of this it can't accurately estimate how many more miles you can travel.

When your tank is installed at TFI, they will re-fill your tank and provide you with a chart that shows how many gallons it takes to indicate 1/4, 1/2, etc on your fuel gauge.

By the way if you are thinking about installing a pre-OEM fuel filter, do it before you have the tank installed. Otherwise you will have to drop the TFI tank to gain access to the fuel lines.

Good luck with your choice.

Jack

Edit: Get the TFI high volume filler so you can use the pumps for the big rigs.

NEAB
08-12-2003, 10:25
I installed the 70 gal. across the bed Transfer Flow tank and think it is great. The fuel is automatically transfered when the guage reaches one-half and automatically turns off when it fills to threequarters full. The DIC appears to operated as though the added tank wasn't there. A geat convenience for getting fuel at the right price and for long trips.