PDA

View Full Version : Are you a 6.5-aholic?

Cowracer
02-21-2005, 06:08
{Tongue firmly in cheek}

Any addiction can be harmful, but the addiction to a 6.5 GM diesel can be especially destructive. The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem. Below is a list of sure indicators that you may have a problem

*You know what these acronyms stand for: FSD, OPS, TPS, RPO and IAT

*The number -1.94 has some signifigance to you

*You have found youself short on cash and standing in the wal-mart trying to decide between a jumbo bale of huggies or a gallon of Rotella-T

*You can shift to neutral, restart your engine, and shift back to drive in one smooth motion, in traffic, while holding a cup of coffee and not spilling a drop

*You have sent hate mail to Stanadyne

*You envy RonnieJoe, and you've never even met the guy

*If a Genie granted you three wishes, you would wish for World Peace, The End of Disease, and an intercooler that fits in the grill

*When you hear the name 'Kennedy', you think of a guy who is not a dead president or a drunk senator

*You have gotten 18:1 pistons for christmas, and you were delighted

*You think electronics are evil

*You now think that even 'A1 Steak Sauce' tastes like snake oil

*You laughed when you read that last one

*You brag on your fuel milage while driving a full size truck

*You can draw a schematic of lift pump power circuit from memory

*You have a 30mm deep-well Snap-On socket

*You have actually spoken to Jamie Avant

*You know the 8th digit of your VIN

*you have (at least twice) argued that your engine is NOT a converted gas motor

*The sight of a Ford PSD on the side of the road with the hood up makes you giggle.

and finally...

*At some point in the recent past, you have sent 19 bucks to a guy in Montana, and now are reading this in a dark room in your house, in your underwear, at 11:30 at night.

If you see yourself in those statements, remmeber help is available, if you are strong enough to ask. :D
Tim

rjschoolcraft
02-21-2005, 06:17
:D :D

Where's the next meeting? ;)

arrowheadracing
02-21-2005, 08:11
You forgot to add a couple

* You leave your truck running and before you walk into walmarts, you turnaround just to hear the engine one last time before you enter the building.

* You wave to anyone with holes in thier front GM bumper.

* You purposefully throw really heavy objects on trailers or in the bed just to make yourself smile on an incline.

* Someone opens your glove box looking for kleenex and finds an PMD, Oil pressure switch, lift pump and some tools.

* The only three things you discuss with the guys is 1. mileage 2. How heavy things are when you tow 3. How many IP's, PMD and oil pressure switches you replaced.

* You wake up 15 minutes early to start your truck , just so you can hear the motor when you hve breakfest.

:D :D
Todd

Billman
02-21-2005, 08:13
Tim

Laughed my ass off.

How true...

Ryan Colley
02-21-2005, 08:25
Sad but true...

Good laugh!

moondoggie
02-21-2005, 09:53
Good Day!

Hello, I'm Brian Johnson, & I'm a diesoholic...

What scares me is that for me it isn't some of the listed things, but ALL of them!

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

grape
02-21-2005, 12:15
i need to post a picture of my 6.5 on the engine stand next to the SB2.2 we use for the racetruck.........my friends think I'm an idiot for messing with this junk.

Shad
02-21-2005, 12:31
Add me to the list

Good one!

Hye
02-21-2005, 13:07
Tim,
Laughed 'til it hurt. You must be one hellava mechanic. How else would anyone with a 6.5 have time to write all that down.

turbovair
02-21-2005, 13:13
Good stuff! About 70 % of those fit me to a "T". I really dont want to meet Jamie Avant too soon!!

Jcolg
02-21-2005, 13:34
Great post however I've only had 6.5 for about 2 months, so I'm not quite there yet. However I'm showing most of he signs such as starting and listening to my truck running outside the window at different times of the day or night and I just did the Shell Rotella thing at Wallmart. However, I didn't know about the 2 holes in the front bumper, (went out and checked and sure enough I have them), didn't get the A1 steak sauce reference, nor do I know who Jamie Avant is. But it's only been 2 months, I'm sure the rest will come.

Spindrift
02-21-2005, 13:37
Originally posted by grape:
i need to post a picture of my 6.5 on the engine stand next to the SB2.2 we use for the racetruck.........my friends think I'm an idiot for messing with this junk. grape...get new friends.

turbovair
02-21-2005, 13:39
Emission Guys here in Phoenix always trying to move me into the "gas engine only" line. I always have to point out that I have a diesel. They dont know the meaning of the bumper with two square holes in it!!!Dummies!!

Bigg R
02-21-2005, 13:46
"That theres funny I don't care who ya are"!!!

grape
02-21-2005, 13:51
Originally posted by Spindrift:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by grape:
i need to post a picture of my 6.5 on the engine stand next to the SB2.2 we use for the racetruck.........my friends think I'm an idiot for messing with this junk. grape...get new friends. </font>[/QUOTE]If you watched the 500 yesterday, you saw a few guys my age that make fun of my diesels.

a5150nut
02-21-2005, 14:17
So I guess I wasn't so out of line when I went in for knee sugury this morning. They asked me what my blood type was, and I responded "Rottela 15/40.

n3qik
02-21-2005, 15:32
Yes, about half the that list is me. But the need to carry a IP, FSD, and other parts is a downer. This should not be and I will not play this game. The 6.5 is good to a point, but at what price. The prices for parts/motor is high. At some point we have to say no more and move on. Alot of members here have moved on to a Dmax and others for this very reason. The 6.5 could have/should have been better, this is the fault of GM. The 6.5 has a bad rap, hopefuly the Dmax will not. Lets do this type of list in 10 years and see witch one is shorter.

Ken

sturgeon-phish
02-21-2005, 16:00
Laughed so hard my wife wanted to know what was going on. After reading the list she "You're one too".
Thanks for the laugh. BTW, I don't want to be cured!

DChristie
02-21-2005, 18:24
I empatically deny having a problem. A hobby maybe, call me meticulous in maintenance, tinkering with my own design. -Holics go to meetings, Montana is too far to go to the meetings, and besides when they found out I claimed ownership of the entire state(I just don't know the grounds-keepers very well)they refused to let me back in for fear I'd never leave. Nice this time of year too....

Donald T

john8662
02-21-2005, 19:15
Spoken to Jamie, no, I talking to Benny close enough?

Funny list man, why do we torture ourselves so? I'd still buy another...

eracers999
02-21-2005, 19:47
I always seem to like what not many others do. The new engine in my truck now, is my baby.

Marty Lau
02-22-2005, 08:34
MORE Disel, I want MORE Diesel, I need my Diesel..... I am in total denial of my problem! I can quit ANY TIME I WANT.

Tim; You forgot Do you look for the cooling holes in Chevy bumper as you pass a C/K truck.

gmctd
02-22-2005, 10:28
Commiserative camaraderie - priceless! ;)

twaddle
02-22-2005, 13:48
Thanks for making us laugh especially the "paying 19 bucks to a guy in Montana and sitting at the computer in the dark in your underwear".

I must be bad I even found it funny and the Suburban has just began stalling and not starting in the last week or so.

I just threatened to sell the Sub as it's a dangerous piece of junk, but I have repair it first and then I'll keep it as usual.

Thanks again Tim

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland.

ulhpilot
02-22-2005, 14:27
Look at my member number and signature. Any questions??

ace58
02-22-2005, 18:37
Too funny. I guess 12 steps isn't enough for this disease.

99gmccrew
02-22-2005, 19:50
The funny thing is, is that as you look at the holes in the bumper of the guy coming towards you, he is always doubletaking the holes in your bumper too! ok, I admit it. I'm in my underwear.
:D :D :D

Steve