PDA

View Full Version : Running out of fuel

AlanL
07-29-2003, 12:46
Yesterday I was towing my car home from a racing event, where I had bounced off the guard rail in the rain, and then had an unrelated mechanical problem that shortened my event...

I was stopping to fill up with fuel and I ran out RIGHT AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE TRUCK STOP. Its no fun being in the middle of the road (left turn lane) when semis are trying to get in and out of the place.

They were all pretty understanding, actually, it was the people in cars that were saying nasty things as they drove by. In fact, many truckers offered to help or lend me a fuel can.

I had to prime a couple of times before the truck would stay running. Needless to say I felt like an idiot and it was a great way to top off a bad weekend.

My advice is to not let it run out. ;)

56Nomad
07-30-2003, 16:11
Alan,

Thanks for sharing.... not many of us would
fess up to doing this.

I actually have had my 39 Chevy towed into the
shop swearing it was a mechanical problem
only to find out NO GAS. Boy did I feel dumb.

Then, just after I dropped a 350 crate engine
into my Nomad...... I hadn't finished the interior
or gauges and the car just would not run. AAA to
the rescue, towed down to the shop.

When shop secretary saw the Nomad on the tow
truck she called me immediately and made a bet
that my Nomad was out of gas! HA HA....I thought
that was pretty funny.

But she won the bet. Dang

I have put in as much as 32 gallons in my Duramax
with the "LOW FUEL" message on. Does anyone know
how many gallons do we have left when that message
goes on?

AlanL
07-31-2003, 07:48
After your stories, I don't feel so bad.

My truck is a short bed, so it has the 26 gallon tank, and about 1.8 gallons left when the light goes on (according to the shop manual).

I think that the long bed with the bigger tank has about 2.5 gals left when the light goes on... I'm not sure, although I know that its more than in the short bed.

I think that from now on, I'm going to bring a 5 gal can of diesel with me on these trips. I have had trouble finding fuel a couple of times and its no fun sweating it out wondering if you'll make it or not.

-Al