PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein Shocks

HDMXDiesel0817
08-20-2003, 06:03
I'm just wondering if any other drivers have personally installed or had installed the Bilstein Shocks on your trucks, and if so did it really improve the ride that much over the factory shocks? I'm thinking about it but as of right now I have less than 7500 miles on my 2500HD D/A C/C SB SLT. The ride doesn't bother me that much, I enjoy the ride of the truck...I'm only curious if these really make that much of a difference in the ride/handling. Thanks!

Paintdude
08-20-2003, 20:42
It was one of the best things I did to my truck. I do not think you will be disapointed.

HDMXDiesel0817
08-20-2003, 21:17
Paintdude,
Have you also added a pre or post fuel filter into your truck? I'm really curious about this and would like to learn more about that. I've tried the search...but not a lot comes up and it really doesn't talk about the installation, more of which is the better and so on. Did you do the Bilstein's yourself or did you have them installed professionally? I appreciate your input about the Bilsteins...I'm really considering it...if not now they'll at least be a late birthday present to me or a Christmas present, haha.

You into Paintball too?

Burner
08-20-2003, 22:41
The stock shocks hit a "square" edge like ... well, a square edge. The blue and yellow shocks take that "square" and round it off into a progressive concave bump. I know that sounds strange... :rolleyes: Once you have the blue & yellow on, you won't go back. They really help out in a panic swarve, always steedfast. Anything pulled over eh, 4k and you "will" know that the shocks are not the same. That sem-mi squishy "I'm going to wreck" feeling will be gone!
;)

I installed mine in about an hour. I cheated and used my floorjack. They are really easy to do.

Burner------> :D

hd90rider
08-21-2003, 20:40
I am also interested in the Bilsteins, but need to know if they are also better for towing large trailers as well as an empty truck. Anyone out there doing a lot of towing? :confused:

Tsckey
08-21-2003, 20:41
Don't know about the square edges, but the Bilsteins make a huge, positive difference in over the road dynamics. No more pogo-sticking down the road. The are firm, but they do a very good job of keeping body motions under control and the tires in contact with the road. The are easy to install and more than worth their cost.

TC

Tsckey
08-21-2003, 20:43
Don't know about the square edges, but the Bilsteins make a huge, positive difference in over the road dynamics. No more pogo-sticking down the road. They are firm, but they do a very good job of keeping body motions under control and the tires in contact with the road. The are easy to install and more than worth their cost.

TC

JEBar
08-22-2003, 05:44
We installed Bilsteins on our 3500 and have been well pleased with them .... the install came after we also had the longest removeable rear spring on each side taken out and added Air Lift Air bags, the combination of the bags and shocks really made a positive ride difference ... Jim

FirstDiesel
08-23-2003, 18:01
I am also interested in the Bilsteins, but need to know if they are also better for towing large trailers as well as an empty truck. Anyone out there doing a lot of towing? Don't know what you call large but we have a 32' Haulmark bumper tow that we use to tow 2 racecars. Never weighed it but based on the stated weight of the trailer and the cars I'm guessing it's about 11,500. Bilsteins rule, nuh said!! smile.gif

stevea
08-28-2003, 09:26
Pogo-stick -- I've noticed that really bad on some streches of highway or gravel. It's like the tires never settle down. You almost need a kidney belt.

So the Bilstiens will remedy that?

FirstDiesel
08-28-2003, 18:58
Yup

I replaced my stock shocks with 7500 miles on them. There is a bridge in my area that by the time I got to the other end people in the truck were seasick. As you crossed more and more of the expansion strips the truck starting bouncing higher and more often. Bilsteins stopped the bounce.

Check with John Kennedy, he sells the Bilsteins.

letsgo
08-29-2003, 07:07
Could some one post the model numbers of the front and rear bilstein shocks they used on the 2500HD duramax with the extendacab.

appreciate any reply

thanks

[ 08-29-2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: letsgo ]

FirstDiesel
08-31-2003, 06:17
You can go to the Bilstein website or just call Kennedy. He sells them now.

rtquig
09-03-2003, 18:06
I ordered mine from Kennedy 4 weeks ago, have not come yet. Anyone get theirs from JK yet? E-mailed him the other day, and still no response, what gives?

HDMXDiesel0817
09-04-2003, 14:23
I saw a posting somewhere about the Bilstein (backorders) from Kennedy...but don't remember where said something about working on that. I really want them too, I was going to order them from him today, but with what you said about 4 wks ago, come on... I know that StylinConcepts and Performance Products carry them too

HDMXDiesel0817
09-04-2003, 14:32
Correction to my last posting here...stylinconcepts does not carry them, I thought that they did.

Also thanks to everyone for your input on the shocks!!

Kennedy
09-04-2003, 20:59
Originally posted by rtquig:
I ordered mine from Kennedy 4 weeks ago, have not come yet. Anyone get theirs from JK yet? E-mailed him the other day, and still no response, what gives? Sorry, too many calls, too many emails regarding this on top of all the usual stuff, so they sometimes get lost in the shuffle. Bilstein has been slow to respond to my inquiries as well. Add that to trying to get a couple of old buildings torn down, another building put up and a dyno...

PS. Last word was 9-9 shipping from Bilstein. Not sure on qty, but I should have 50 plus pieces, which will cover all but the most recent orders. From there, is anybodies guess...

rtquig
09-05-2003, 18:03
JK, Got your e-mail today, and am happy to hear you will be getting them in soon. Driving these lousy dug up roads in NJ, I am looking forward to a new set of the Bilsteins.
Thanks,
Rich

rtquig
09-25-2003, 14:41
Bilsteins are here, and a Thank You to JK.

Marty Lau
10-07-2003, 15:12
If you have problems finding Bilstein you may want to look into KYB shocks they are suppose to be same quality as the Bilsteins. I have put 5,000 miles on a set and so far so good. Nice part was there was a local dealer for the KYB's and the Bilsteins had to be ordered in and back ordered and plus saved about $60 on set of 4.
I talked to 3 diffent fellow who had the KYB's and all were please one guy had 85,000 miles on a set on his Suburban.

NETMINDER
10-14-2003, 10:05
Love the bilstiens - great mod - hard too find

NEAB
10-24-2003, 17:10
I ordered some time ago directly from BilsteinShocks.com. Item nos. were
Be5-6081-HO for the front, and
BE5-6082-HO for the rear
It was shipped and received in 3 days.

The shocks are great. Have put on hold purchasing a four link suspension system to further improve ride comfort.

HDMXDiesel0817
10-24-2003, 17:51
Bilsteins are on there way woohoo!!! Thanks John!!

('Excellent Smithers' muahaha :D :D )

Kennedy
10-25-2003, 05:16
I landed quite a pile (2 boxes) Friday, and shipped out almost all of my BO's (UPS came about 2 hrs later) on 2500 HD's. Still looking for my 3500 rears, but I now have a respectable stock for the 2500's...

bobojay
10-25-2003, 13:54
Get em, BIG!! difference towing and in everyday ride. Easy to install also. About an hour or so if you have the tools.