PDA

View Full Version : V6 Duramax - anyone know when?

POS
01-07-2002, 22:49
Curious and interested; would like to see one in a Tahoe or 1/2 ton pickup.

This engine is supposedly on the drawing boards.

DSLPOWR
01-08-2002, 19:34
This has been on deck for a while now with all compact pickup and SUV's. Time for someone to step up to the plate. Diamler Chrysler is on the brink with a six cylinder diesel for the Dakota and Durango that out powers in horses and torque compared to the gas engines available. Sounds like a good idea to us, but not everyone out there will want one. Some people that pull huge loads with their pickups still are die hard gasser fans due to the smell, noise, or the pain to find diesel fuel at gas stations. It hits a small chunk of the market that just isn't feasible to attempt right now. Especially when the next few years are estimated to be slow years for new vehicle purchases.

------------------
2002 3500 Duramax/ZF6 speed/4x4
LS Interior
Summit white

2001 2500HD Alli-Max 4x4
LT Interior
Extended cab short box
Onyx Black
Graphite leather
295 BFG's
Eagle Alloys
MX7000 lightbar
DeeZee Gold series Toolbox
DeeZee Aluminum Tread Mud Guards
DeeZee Aluminum Tread Bed rail protectors
BOSS 9' snowplow
Straight piped
EGT/Boost guage (Pillar mount)

1994 Chevrolet 2500 Silverado
4x4
9" Lift
35X12.50 BFG's
15X10 American Racings

REAL men drive trucks....
REAL trucks are diesels....

www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=dslpowr (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=dslpowr)

sk
01-09-2002, 07:42
Isuzu just showed off a concept truck based on the Axiom SUV at the Detroit show. For most people on this forum the truck is not large or strong enough. However, it has an Isuzu-designed 3.0L V6 turbodiesel under the hood. Since this truck is aimed at the US market I would assume the engine meets the new 2002 emission requirements. Maybe the engine in the concept Axiom XST is the V-6 "baby" Duramax?

ADDED IN EDIT:

Here's a cut-and-paste from an article on PUTC about the Axiom XST:

"Well-known for its heavy duty Duramax diesel engines found in Chevrolet and GMC full size pickups, Axiom XST demonstrates Isuzu's 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 and its high pressure common-rail fuel injection system. The engine is designed to run quietly and on cleaner burning, low sulfur fuel."

Scott

[This message has been edited by sk (edited 01-09-2002).]

D-max Man
01-09-2002, 08:59
The 3.0L is too small for the full size trucks. Isuzu is testing a bigger V-6 Diesel as we speak but I can't say when it will hit the market.

DMAX Quality Dude
01-18-2002, 18:52
It's in the works as far as I am aware.

MadMaxx
04-09-2002, 14:07
DSLPOWR,

Where did you hear about this? "Diamler Chrysler is on the brink with a six cylinder diesel for the Dakota and Durango that out powers in horses and torque compared to the gas engines available"

Was it in a magazine or autoshow that I missed?

MudNurI
04-09-2002, 14:57
Isn't the Cummings a 6 cylinder??? why not just use that??
---------------------------------------------
"Diamler Chrysler is on the brink with a six cylinder diesel for the Dakota and Durango "
---------------------------------------------

or is it not a 6?

Brandy
:confused:

NickLeinonen
04-09-2002, 15:34
mud:
that cummins is a 6, but it is too big for the dakota/durango body.

if you go to...

[http://www.galebanks.com/banks_sidewinder.html]

banks engineering stuffed a 5.9 cummins commonrail along with a nv5600 6 speed in an extended cab dakota. if you look through the pictures they have, you can see how much they had to cut out of the firewall and floorpan to make it fit. now, that little 3.9 liter 4 banger cummins would probably fit, if they just changed the governed speed from 2600 to 3200 - 3500 or so. that would be a great little engine in a small pickup. 170 hp @ 2600, 420 trq @ 1500

i am tempted to swap that into my tahoe... hmmm... if i could get a wrecked dmax/slushbox for cheap, that could fit my 'hoe maybe too... hmm.. so many ideas, so little money

DSLPOWR
04-09-2002, 19:51
It's supposed to be a V6 to fit in the Midsize pickups, the Cummins 5.9 is too long.

Wilky
04-10-2002, 08:57
Ford will have a 4.5l V-6 Diesel in the Expedition in 2003 and then in the F-150 some time later. I have tried to install a link, but no luck. Go to www.ford-diesel.com and search for 4.5.

sk
04-10-2002, 12:39
Detroit Diesel had a prototype V-6 diesel for a few years now. It is called the "Delta", and rumor is that it was already installed in a Durango for testing. Since DaimlerChrysler now owns DDC it would make sense for them to push that program. Also, Mercedes has quite a few small diesel designs for Europe that could possibly be used. There is some info on their website, but I couldn't access it today. Keep checking http://www.detroitdiesel.com

Back to the title of this thread -- any update on the V-6 "baby" Duramax?

Scott

Breck
04-12-2002, 07:18
I would think that anyone that is thinking about a mid size vehicle would not be considering it for pulling a huge load?

I think Ford has a v-6 diesel coming out fairly soon for its f 150's and Expeditions.

I would think that DC already has a 6 cylinder diesel some where in its line up that would fit into mid size vehicles.

To bad GM damaged the market with their earlier diesels; the 5.7 comes to mind real quick, as well as the 6.2. Hopefully the dmax will change that perception to the general public?

More Power
04-12-2002, 10:04
GM's rumored V-6 Duramax may be getting closer to becoming a reality.

A V-6 diesel with V-8 power could be what people are looking for in the full-size light-truck and SUV market. After making its way through the application and emissions certification process, it could show up in the 2004 model year.

MP

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

INDI-GO
04-12-2002, 20:33
MP,

Get one of these babies in a 1500HD 4x4 Automatic with at least 31 inch tires, 20+ MPG and put my name on the list for the first one.

One in a 4x4 S-10 EXT would be fine too. Would be perfect for doing the smaller jobs on the hunting property.

Can I have Dark Maroon also? :D

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: INDI-GO ]</p>

AzKevin
04-13-2002, 08:28
I recall the 4.5L v6 mini PSD was estimated at 25mpg. Suppose the mini-Dmax should be comparable. Would be a sweet package in a Tahoe.

Diesel Dog
02-28-2003, 17:53
Well, anyone have any updates? It's been a while now and the 2004 model year is pretty much around the corner. A dealer near me confidently stated 2005 model year would see a d-max in the Suburban, but didn't know if it would be a V-6 or not.
Ford did not come out with the 4.5L diesel for the Expedition as stated earlier in the thread.

LA DMAX
02-28-2003, 21:12
Diesel Dog, I haven't heard any new stuff about the V6, but IIRC, I saw an in-line6 DMAX available on the 5500 series trucks as an option. They also offered a CAT motor as well.
Later

LA DMAX

Wheat Whacker
02-28-2003, 22:34
When I talked to the GM rep about the Dmax in a Suburban he said 2005 and hinted at an inline model not a v. But he also said that he was not totally sure.
Guess it's wait and see. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WillowCreekStable
02-28-2003, 22:57
There were news articles late last year stating that Ford backed out of the 4.5 PSD program, and Ford/Navistar were'discussing' the R&D expenses invested in the program. There were articles on Blue Oval News earlier stating the engine could meet current emisions for under 8,500 trucks, but not anticipated levels for 2007. Guess Ford didn't want the cost of engineering the engine into the light duty trucks for only a few years production.

Makes you wonder though, I've spent time in Europe and there are lots of excellent small displacment diesels over there. Better fuel? More enlightened governments that realize fuel efficency is better than getting that last speak of soot out of the exhaust? Their engines are maybe not suited for HD towing, but I'd like a fuel efficient truck for my 100+ mile daily commute.

ski
03-01-2003, 12:26
I read on another board that GM has an inline 6 cylinder in the works to replace the current V8 DMAX, codeword for the name of the engine was GEN 6. I thought the discussion may even have come from a reply already on this forum.

bobojay
03-01-2003, 16:04
Ford did cancel it's V-6 diesel program just recently. It caused a riff with Navistar too, as they were all tooled up to build it. Cost both companies some big $$$......

Black Dog
03-02-2003, 17:47
The problem is with upcoming federal emissions standards. There is just no way that they can offer any kind of diesel in a light duty vehicle. Jeep is reportedly going to offer the same diesel that is available in europe in the Liberty (little to no investment, since it is already engineered into the vehicle), but if there is no change in the upcoming federal emission standards, they will be forced to discontinue the option in about two years. If you were an auto company, would you be investing in an engine technology that will be legislated to the scrap bin in two years? You can blame your government for the lack of any diesel engines in anything lighter than high GVWR light trucks.