PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace fuel control unit - 2,500 miles!!!

stevea
08-28-2003, 09:00
I originally posted this is the wrong forum - sorry.

Ok, I've got a brand new 2500HD with 2,554 miles on it, and the fuel control module (the Bosch thing that sits on top of the engine) went bad.

The dealer says there was fuel in the unit (which it uses to cool the electronics) which caused the whole thing to fry.

I was out in Montana when it happened and called a couple dealers to see if they knew of the issue. To my surprise, two dealers each had about 3-4 trucks with the same problem. Hmmm.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the problem??? - apparently the seal goes bad inside the unit allowing the cooling fuel to communicate with the electronics (evidenced by fuel pouring out of the electrical connections when you remove the unit.)

The other thing is that it seems my top speed has been chopped down to 95mph. I just got the truck, but I swear I could hit 100 before the fix. (I'm posting that ? on another post)

Any ideas, help would be appreciated.

dmaxalliTech
08-28-2003, 20:40
Steve, I havent heard of fuel contamination with the FICM, but thats interesting to know, I will pay attention to that from now on.. Might have been a bad batch of them or something. :confused:

Factory speed limiter is at 96mph.

letsgo
09-01-2003, 15:43
I was just looking over the engine to see if there were any visual problems, such as leaks or any thing that might be loose, everything looked pristine until I got to the EDU box, on the bottom electrical plug I noticed the entire plug is covered in a thin film of oil and dirt, I checked the entire area of the EDU there is no other oil stains what so ever.

I tried to remove the electrical plugs mounted on the side of the EDU to see if there is any oil within the plug housing but I cant figure out how the plug locking device releases?

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks.

dmaxalliTech
09-01-2003, 19:59
letsgo, the thin film is pretty much normal, but to remove the plugs, they use a sliding lock the upper plug slides up and the lower slides down, once you slide the locks aprt, the plug pops right off.

letsgo
09-08-2003, 18:33
I think the oily gung around the plug was a result of the lubricant that GM uses on the plugs to allow the plugs to slide in and out freely, otherwise everything looks OK THANKS FOR THE INPUT.