PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Woes conclusion

turbovair
02-21-2005, 13:06
After failing emissions here in Phoenix with an opacity value of 42 %(limit 40),I opted to replace all 8 fuel injectors with stock ones offered by JK at Kennedy Diesel.
Install time was as follows:
Turbo side: 3 hours 15 minutes
Drivers side: 1 hour 10 minutes
My 30 MM axle socket was sufficient to access ALL injectors and exhaust manifold (turbo side) removal was not required.JK's clipless return line kit is a MUST for this job.As per JK's advice, I attempted to fire the engine with no bleeding of the lines.The first 10 second crank attempt yielded no life from the engine.The engine fired on the second start attempt, ran roughly, then smoothed out within 20 seconds.No leaks from the engine noted. Took the truck to Lou Grubb Chevrolet to have injection pump re-timed. After picking up the truck, I drove immediately to the same emissions station I tested at before and obtained a free retest. With $455 in reciepts, the retest was free.
($355 for injectors and return line kit and $100 in timing reset)The truck passed, with an opacity value of 6 %, a reduction of 36 % from before. It starts, idles and generally runs better than before. I never really thought it ran that bad to begin with. Now I can get my plates.Whoo Hoo!!Wanted to let all those who read "Emissions Woes" as to what the outcome was.Thanks to all who offered advice in the earlier thread.

rjschoolcraft
02-21-2005, 13:13
That's great!

I hope we never have to deal with that here in Indiana. :rolleyes:

turbovair
02-21-2005, 13:23
Excerpt from a discussion with a PSD driver and a 6.5 driver heard recently at work:

Barry:I heard your truck failed emissions testing(smiling)
Paul: Yeah, it kinda sucks
Barry: I've never heard of a diesel EVER failing emissions.What do you plan to do about it?
Paul: I'm thinking replace the injectors and get the diesel pump timing reset.
Barry: How much is that going to cost you?
Paul: About $355 for a set of injectors and $100 for retiming afterward.Injectors are about $40 apiece.
Barry: MY injectors cost $300 apiece!!(laughs)
Paul: Of course they are, Barry, of course they are.........