PDA

View Full Version : Transmission replacement?

MicroRacer
09-20-2003, 13:01
I need to find the most reasonable way to get my transmission fixed or replaced. I'm fairly mechanical so I can do some things myself.

I checked prices on Ebay and I found that the going price is around $1000-$1200 delivered. I've had good luck with a lot of Ebay buys so I'm not afraid to go that route. My major concern is that all the 4L80E transmissions that I see are recommended for gasoline engines.

Is the 4L80E for the 6.5L turbo diesel different? I'm re low on cash at this time so I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks ahead.

Bill

ChevyDooley
09-20-2003, 15:46
Mine died a horrible death and I got a rebuilt one from a local shop that even dynotests what they build for I think somewhere near $600.00 and $300 labor for install. Works great ever since! I wouldnt touch ebay because you have no recourse given trannies usually either work great, or not at all.

JoeyD
09-20-2003, 16:53
I would go with a certa unit from the dealer. Comes with a 3 year 50k warranty. Make sure the cooler and lines get flushed or you will ruin the new trans. I would replace the cooler if you don't have a line flusher as it's cheap insurance.

moedog
09-20-2003, 17:52
STAY AWAY FROM SHOPS THAT GET REBUILDS FROM OTHER PLACES. AMOCO IS ONE OF THE WORST. GET A WARRANTY IN WRITING AND IF IT SOUNDS TO CHEAP TO BE TRUE IT IS!!!!
I USUALLY GO WITH THE MIDDLE PRICE IF ALL ELSE IS EQUAL, PUT SYNTHETIC MOBIL 1 AND LUBEGARD ADDITIVE IN IT AND A GOOD TRANNY COOLER AND YOU SHOULD BE OK!
IF YOUR GOING TO PULL SERIOUS WEIGHT, A TRANSGO KIT AND HD TORQ CONVERTOR IS A MUST

billg
09-20-2003, 18:49
MicroRacer,
While you

ucdavis
09-20-2003, 19:01
Micro,
I'm w/BillG, & think you may be giving up too soon. A proper pan-off & professional inspection is the least I'd do before throwing in for a rebuild. A good tranny shop wil be able to advise you. I asked the local shops who farm our their tranny work & all recommended the same guys (there are four sizable shops locally & ALL said that one was both the best & it was totally honest). Best thing is to get to the right shop the 1st time.
Good luck.

MicroRacer
09-21-2003, 07:16
Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the suggestions and will check out some things at the start of the work week.

JohnC
09-24-2003, 13:13
Hey, no one answered his original question!

At least the converter is different for the Diesel version. I don't know if an electronically controlled trans has a different governor or not, but the mechanical ones sure do. Someone else can put that straight.