PDA

View Full Version : Duramax 6.6 breakin suggestion

Rockin
09-26-2003, 15:11
I am purchasing a 2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A. Does the board have a recommendation on the breakin process? I will put a 7000# horse trailer behind it after it is broken in. Would you just follow the manufacturer's recommendation?

I tried to search but the results gave dead links.

gene smith
09-26-2003, 17:28
Rockin
Every one has there own opinion about this but when I got mine I was 150 miles from home, when I hit the interstate I checked the speed limiter (97mph) on an off throttle all the way home 70 to 80 mph. Been pullin boat that weighs 4000 reguraly. Time for oil change and level is full and it gets stronger every day. Like I said all has different oppinion but mine is doing great.
I would give it at least 500 miles before pullin that heavy trailer.
Geno

k1xv
09-27-2003, 03:11
At a minimum I would change motor oil and filter at 1500-2000 miles, do it again at around 4000-5000 miles. At that time also change the spin on filter on the Allison.

From there on I would go to your normal lubricants change schedule, including consideration of synthetic 5w-40 motor oil.

It is widely accepted on this board that the engines continue to break in (run better) up to 20K miles, and based on my experience, that is true.

At this time you should also be looking at the discussions of additional fuel filtering on this board. I am using the Caterpillar (CAT) pre-OEM filter system as sold in the ******** filter kit.

Best wishes for you and your new wheels. You will really enjoy it.

sdaver
09-27-2003, 04:49
********,,,********,,,********........INTERESTING VERY INTERESTING.......AND DISAPPOINTING :confused: :confused: :confused: COME ON GUYS YOUR BIGGER THAN THESE TYPE TACTICS......DAVE

gene smith
09-28-2003, 10:20
Dave
Do you feel that we should pussy foot these around for 5000 or what, the big boys put 45000lbs on there's (gross over 75000) and stand on them, whats your special way
Geno :confused: :confused: :confused:

More Power
09-28-2003, 10:55
There are nearly as many opinions on diesel engine break-in as there are owners.... I hold to two schools of thought regarding break-in.

1- If you trade vehicles every 1-4 years, drive the truck like you stole it from day one, but perform all recommended service at the intervals stated in your owner's manual (to preserve the warranty).

2- If you tend to keep vehicles well past the engine warranty, change the oil and filter after the first couple hundred miles, and drive it pretty easy during this period. Change the oil and oil filter again once reaching 1000 miles.

Between 500 and 1000 miles you can run it more or less like you want, but I wouldn't put a heavy load on the powertrain till past 1000 miles.

Change the rear diff lube after 500 towing miles or 7500 non-towing miles. Adhere to the owners manual thereafter on diff lube service intervals.

I broken in 4 new or freshly rebuilt GM diesel engines (6.2, 6.5 & Duramax) using the above methods. All continue to perform very well, with little or no oil useage, and all make more than typical power and produce above average fuel economy (some with total engine mileage well past 100K).

I wouldn't worry too much about additional fuel filtration till we learn more about the Bosch fuel injection system. There's so much we don't know at this point that it is very hard for anyone to make a hard and fast claim about the longterm effects on fuel injection system longevity. Besides, your fuel injection system is covered by GM for 100,000 miles or 5 years (less a $100 deduct past 3/36,000). Before anyone can lay claim to the benefits of additional fuel filtration, we need to see a failure analysis for a wide selection of bad injectors. We also need to see comparison tests of fuel injection systems run with and without additional fuel filtration (fleet records would be a big help here). I agree with the experts on this subject that it should help, but does it really? How can we know for sure? We need to keep an open mind about both ends of the argument.

But, regarding additional fuel filtration, do only what is necessary to protect the warranty if you trade vehicles every 1-4 years. If you keep vehicles well past the engine warranty, additional fuel filtration could provide a little peace of mind. It all depends.

MP

sdaver
09-28-2003, 19:24
MP WROTE
I wouldn't worry too much about additional fuel filtration till we learn more about the Bosch fuel injection system. There's so much we don't know at this point that it is very hard for anyone to make a hard and fast claim about the longterm effects on fuel injection system longevity. Besides, your fuel injection system is covered by GM for 100,000 miles or 5 years (less a $100 deduct past 3/36,000). Before anyone can lay claim to the benefits of additional fuel filtration, we need to see a failure analysis for a wide selection of bad injectors. We also need to see comparison tests of fuel injection systems run with and without additional fuel filtration (fleet records would be a big help here). I agree with the experts on this subject that it should help, but does it really? How can we know for sure? We need to keep an open mind about both ends of the argument.

But, regarding additional fuel filtration, do only what is necessary to protect the warranty if you trade vehicles every 1-4 years. If you keep vehicles well past the engine warranty, additional fuel filtration could provide a little peace of mind. It all depends.

MP

THAT REALLY MAKES ME FEEL BETTER :( .........Look at how dirty the fuel is filtered thru the oem racor.......it wont take a 100k miles maybe not 20k.......sure its warrentied but who wants to be with out a $40k truck and waiting on a dealer to fix when you can spend less than $300 for clean fuel and a pressurized system........geno my gripe was over the censorship :confused: :confused: .......broke mine in with the juice after less than 500 miles......
:D dave

gene smith
09-29-2003, 14:43
Dave
figured that out on the other one, old man a little slow in old age :D :D :D

SteveO
10-22-2003, 16:13
Rockin,

First off Welcome to the Site..

I'm not telling you what to do this is just My opinion..
First thing I would do is check ALL fluids and grease all fittings.. PDI's are not normally done correctly and or not done at all.. It pays to check everything for yourself...

Next>>>

Drive it 500 miles or so to check everything out>>>then Hook the Trailer to it...

After towing for 500 miles replace the rear end oil or at 5000k>> change the Engine oil and filter + the Fuel Filter.. Grease everything and check the fluid levels again..

Good luck...

Rockin
10-23-2003, 08:16
Thanks SteveO. At this point I have 2000+ miles. Where can I get a good grease fitting chart? I'll do the engine oil and filter pretty soon and the rear end at the same time.

It is the off season for towing so I haven't put the trailer behind her yet. I look forward to pulling. Especially after the '89 F250 w/460 I pulled with last summer.

to make a long story short, in a drive from Boise to Tulsa and back, blew a power steering return line, fan clutch, lost front hub dust cover, collided with semi, knocked out lighting on trailer and had the alternator catch on fire. All while paying 5-6MPG.