PDA

View Full Version : values of upgrades when selling/trade-in

Perry
02-21-2005, 13:16
Can I expect any residual value in the upgrades that I put into my Suburban? Or would the upgrades just be consider maintenance items and thus not affect the price of the truck?

I'm thinking of selling my Suburban as I rarely drive it anymore but I would hate to give away all those upgrades I installed last year.

turbovair
02-21-2005, 13:26
Wouldnt count on it. They see 6.5 diesel, thats all.

rjschoolcraft
02-21-2005, 13:39
How much are you thinking of asking?

Perry
02-21-2005, 14:39
When I'm ready, I'll probably put it in the Seattle times for $21k. Currently, the paper has only 1/2ton gassers, w/asking prices from $16-$19k for 99's w/less than 90k miles.

I ordered mine with every option but the skid plates. It even still has 10 months left on the extended warranty. My Suburban has had a pretty easy life, mainly hauling kids, and towing my 6500# enclosed car trailer a few times each summer around town.

Do you guys think thats too high or too low?

rjschoolcraft
02-21-2005, 14:47
Prices around here are much lower than that, but that's here. I've been looking at 99 1500 gas Suburbans for any where between $8500 and $12,000. Granted, they have more miles.

Whitpirate
02-21-2005, 17:08
Did you do the upgrades Perry or have a shop around here do it? I'm kicking around Heath's exhaust, Turbomaster/Max-E-Tork..... soon as the dealer is done giving me a new IP.

Perry
02-21-2005, 19:39
I had the exhaust and downpipe installed at Stan's Headers in Auburn. Stan fabricates the exhaust for Heath so you save on shipping as they just pull it from stock when you come to have it installed and charge it to Heath. For some reason its cheaper to buy it from Heath than to buy it directly from Stan's.

The ECM and lightbooster I installed myself.

I went to the Powershop in Enumclaw for everything else and they were ok with me bringing the parts for them to install. Great place, they had mostly cummins and powerstrokes in the bays, but were pretty knowledgable about the 6.5. I just wish it wasn't so far away. I took the day off, brought a few books and waited. Before they did any work, they did the performance eval of the engine and fuel system. They discovered my lift pump was bad which was the cause for my morning stalls which the dealer couldn't figure out. Installed the PMD isolator and repainted the skid plate so that the new bolts blended in, and installed the gauges plus welded the temp sender into the trans pan.

My Sub drives and pulls great now, but only thing I would probably do different is to go with the 3.5" exhaust from Kennedy. The 3" works great, my pryo stays low, and is quiet, but I get tailpipe envy everytime I park next to a newer diesel rig.

Hubert
02-22-2005, 11:51
Hate to say it but 90% of the value of any modifications other than "Factory" options is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe some marketing and salesmanship will help you with price negotiations. Reciepts and documentation will help. You might get lucky with someone who knows trucks/engines and guy stuff but like it or not the "appearance" sells the vehicles.

96ccdd
02-22-2005, 12:17
I traded my 96 6.5 with 48k on it, I told the dealer I was taking off all the extra's I added. He said no problem I removed them and recovered some money by selling them on E-BAY.

Whitpirate
02-22-2005, 12:53
Thanks Perry.

You've been happy with the Heath exhaust? I figure I can't beat a local guy on the install. If I was closer to Kennedy I'd probably just take it to his place but since I'm out here in the wilds of the NW I'll stick to Heath.