PDA

View Full Version : First Major Repair

HotShot
09-30-2002, 00:32
Friday afternoon a week ago the SES light comes on and my truck goes into limp mode while climbing a steep hill on cruise control when I was on my way out to a rig. I get brave and shut off the truck for a minute then try to restart it, starts back up (whew!) but light is still on. Start driving and no more limp mode until next steep hill when cruise goes full throttle again. Stop and restart truck and drive it on the foot feed and keep it out of full throttle.

Saturday morning get to dealer early. NO diesel techs in that day so service guy grabs Tech 2. DTC P0093 Fuel Leak. He looks at me and says no mess no smell no leak. I had recently replaced fuel filter so we figured I should recheck my install maybe its getting some air or something. Go to my shop and everything checks out OK. Every trip that weekend it would start acting up a couple hours out of town. It drove completely normal for about 1.5 to 2 hours then when the injectors go wide open in sixth after that time it would go into limp mode. Reset the computer and the light would stay on but the truck drove normally, no smoke, no problems just don't go full throttle in sixth, fifth was fine.

Monday take truck in again. They look at it right away and verify fuel pressure goes low on high pressure side of pump. Book it in for Thursday when a diesel tech is available to complete the diagnostic and repair.

Work the truck the next few days. Sometimes better, sometimes more sensative. Occasionally trips in fifth now so I can't count on it for climbing hills or passing vehicles. I'm thinking probably pump but hopefully regulator.

Thursday drop it off at dealer bright and early on my way home from trip I was finishing. Go home and go to bed. About lunchtime dad calls to take me for lunch for my birthday, oh ya, right. 3:00 dealer calls and says its #3 injector returning to much fuel. First thing I ask is why no balnce problem. Then I remember common-rail, all injectors see same pressure so if one goes low it takes all them with it. They say it'll be done late Friday afternoon. That scared me because previous dealer that translates into-we take to long and your truck is down all weekend. 1:30 Friday they call, Truck ready, YEAH!!

Take it up North and back that night and works great. It does seem a little sluggish from 1500 - 2000 so I'll go see them tommorrow.

This happened just over 151,000kms. My warranty runs out in the next couple weeks. If this happened next month it would of hurt. Injector is about 800 plus 1.5 days for diagnostic and labour. I think its time to invest in some good OBD-II software for the laptop.

Hey look, a short post. For me its short :D

Maverick
09-30-2002, 01:12
I just had my #1 injector replaced on Monday with 97,000 or so miles. My 3500 is at 99,221 now. My warranty will run out this week on my motor also when I break 100K. Hopefully no more problems.

HotShot
09-30-2002, 23:51
Hi Maverick,

Earlier this year I was jealous seeing the milage on your truck getting well ahead of mine, miles = money. Our winter season was OK but not as good as usual and our spring was worse than normal but the last couple months have picked up a bit and I see I have almost caught up to you. smile.gif

Do I remember correctly that your injector failed because of a rust like powder in the high pressure part of the system? They cleaned my rails and injectors of such a residue.

Hopefully these injectors were just a one off thing as apposed to a sign of things to come. Especially with our trucks when downtime usually costs as much or more in lost work than the repair.

Maverick
10-01-2002, 00:12
"Do I remember correctly that your injector failed because of a rust like powder in the high pressure part of the system?"

Nope....no idea what caused mine. It was only a week ago.
I am at 99,221 as of today. No freight today. Its starting to slow down for me until the snow comes....snow plowing time. I got runs to do the rest of the week. I'll break 100K by Friday for sure.
Been through Edmonton like 5 times this last 2 years. Where do you run mostly? What kind of freight?

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

HotShot
10-02-2002, 00:28
I run mostly Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC. For work I have been most of the way across Canada and have run a lot of western states, haven't been to Alaska but hoping it happens someday. I haul mostly stuff for the oil patch.

Have to buy you a coffee next time your in town.