PDA

View Full Version : CAN UPDATES BE INSTALLED WITHOUT CHANGING EXHAUST SYSTEM

polaris800
09-30-2002, 05:58
I would like to know who has installed any of the performance mods such as the edge/juice/bull dog/duramizer etc... I clearly understand the heat condition but do we have to change the new exhaust that already has a large opening. What could I put on this truck that would be considered safe. My new 2003 pulls much better then the 01 I had. I can tell you that pulling the exact trailer the 2003 will pull my trailer up over an pretty high overpass without lossing ANY speed and the trans just keeps up with the pace. This is at 70mph setting, the 01 had to run arounf 75mph to keep from have problems and down shifting. My 2001 had ALL the updates and I would consider that it had less stock power then the NEW 2003. I would just like to update with a little extra power just for added benifits without tearing that stock exhaust off the vehicle. All I can say is that me New 2003 is great, smooth, great fuel milage. Please let me know if any one of you have done some upgrades without trashing the exhaust.

sdaver
09-30-2002, 06:26
YOU DONT HAVE TO CHANGE THE EXHAUST FOR THE JUICE..........TOW IN LEVEL 2 ...CALL KENNEDY DIESEL...GREAT SERVICE....GET YOURSELF A EGT GUAGE....HE IS ALSO DEALER FOR THE JUICE.......YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THE JUICE OR JOHN KENNEDY. :D DAVE

3TV
09-30-2002, 06:31
I wish I would have done the Juice 4.0 upgrade without doing the Dynomax 4" straight through exhaust. I do not think the exhaust upgrade did anything but add noise. The Dynomax exhaust sounds mean as hell, but I prefered the quietness of the stock exhaust myself. And the maximum EGT temps I have seen with my truck towing on Juice level 2, with an 11,000 lb. trailer, is 1250 degrees (pre-turbo), so I think I would have been safe with the stock exhaust.

3TV

polaris800
09-30-2002, 06:48
This is why I am asking for everyone's imput. It just seems to be a major waste to trash out your stock stainless exhaust on a new 2003 at a vehicle cost of $44,000 plus and now put a new larger exhaust on for minimal of no power gains. I dragrace motorcycles running mid sevens yes you read the number right 7.80 170mph all day long and clearly understand heat concerns however we cover that problem by jet changes to correct egt concerns. I would think that if people are selling a product that they would cover higher temps that the upgrade would cover the higher exhaust changes just by sending a increase in fuel to the computer for adjustments. Just my 2 cents. I dont want to buy any product just because is sounds good.

Jerry

hogbreth
09-30-2002, 07:19
I added the juice and was concerned about exhaust gas temp's as you are. I talked to the people at Edge Products and they say they have found no advantage to changing exhaust on their test vehicle. I was told the same thing by another company that deals with dmax upgrades. I added an EGT/Boost gauge and left it at that.

polaris800
09-30-2002, 07:24
HOGBRATH... Did you put the gauges on before the upgrades? If so what temps did you run before and have you experience any problems since you have went to the upgrades.

Mark Heiken
09-30-2002, 12:13
My only performance upgrades so far are gauges and THE JUICE. Towing 5er on level 2 temps are a lttle higher than stock. 50 degrees maybe on long hills. Hills seem much shorter though with the added power! :D

Maverick
09-30-2002, 12:15
I could bury the EGT gauge at 1500 pre-turbo with the stock exhust. Changed it out with a 4" and I can still do it. Now it just takes alittle longer to get there.

motovet
09-30-2002, 19:14
I agree with Maverick, the temps can still get up there, but it takes longer to reach the top than with the stock system. This means you can abuse the pedal a bit more before things get to hot. I have noticed a 50*- 100* improvement in simalar situations with the 4". The biggest advantage I see with the cooler temps is you can run overdrive longer before a necessary downshift... and the Juice LOVES to pull hard in overdrive.

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

big dipper
09-30-2002, 19:33
I just installed JK's 4/5" exhaust and I am not 100% that I felt a difference, but I know it seems like the tires are fighting for traction a little more out of the hole and top end seems to be a little stronger. Of course these are "seat of the pants", but I will know more Friday night or even Wednesday if the decide to run. Besides, who cares if it makes it faster, look how BIG it is! (the exhaust I mean) ;)

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>

big dipper
09-30-2002, 19:54
Here is some "food for thought"..........
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxperf.html

Not trying to support anything or anyone, but what he says states the facts. He sells them all and TESTS them all so he has a well valued opinion in my eyes. Besides look at the results of the PULL OFF.

Polaris800,
A gas motor will run cooler when run richer, but a richer diesel means....well lets put it like this, more fuel ...more power ...more heat.

polaris800
10-01-2002, 05:40
Thats is why I wanted the end users to tell me what works the best in long and short term. I dont like to ask the peolpe who sell any products because they have an invested interest in there product. Not to say fine people like JK would lead us wrong. I'm not saying that! It's good some times just to ask what others have done and see what they would not redo if they had a nother chance to do over.. I just dont think that +- makes a major differance unless the munbers go higher. More importantly, I want to keep as much of the original parts on the truck as possible. Thanks for ALL your help and I really appreciated all your imputs on this matter....

csimo
10-01-2002, 08:00
I have not seen any dyno numbers pre and post exhaust changes. I've seen a few that combine a few changes with the exhaust for dyno numbers, but that's all.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but this leads me to believe that the exhaust is no a problem on our trucks.

All the same applies to air filters and air boxes... most have proven to be BS.

Kennedy
10-01-2002, 08:35
It's all about the fundamentals. To burn more fuel, you must move more air. Now the inlet side (aside from filter restriction) is not as critical on a turbo application, BUT the MAF sensor watches air through the tube and delivers fuel based on volume.

The exhaust IS a big thing as a turbo would really like to see "0" back psi. The freer the better on the exhaust (and intake) applies to ANY engine...

There is no way you'd ever see me pulling with stock exhaust. It is one of the first modifications done to my trucks. Many times modifications like this SEEM to do little, but when reverted back to stock are sorely missed....

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>