PDA

View Full Version : GASOLINE IN MY DIESEL !

tomsepe
01-11-2004, 00:45
Ok I did it. I just bought my diesel 6.2l suburban and pulled the rookiest manuever.... I filled my tank with gasoline instead of Diesel. ouch. I feel so stupid.

So can anyone give me advice on clearing the fuel lines? I can siphon out the gas from the tank, but what is the best way to get the gas out of the lines and get the vehicle running again?

Thanks so much in advance!

Tom Sepe

Dezman125
01-11-2004, 01:28
Hi Tom
Your not the first or last,i had a service station and we saw lots of this.
If you havn't started it yet it makes it easier.
Siphon out as much as you can.Add some good 2 cylcle oil,a quart at least.Then refill with clean diesel.
If you have run it then you should drain the IP you should be able to blow the line from the filter to the tank.I have gone as far as pulling the injector lines and putting a drop of 2cycle oil in each line,but that depends on how worried you are about it.Use a new filter again add a little 2 cycle.
The worst case i saw was a lady with a new dodge,filled up with gas,at least75%.This was in the summer,drove 24 miles to where she had to stop for a pilot car at a road construction site.The engin quit and wouldn't start again.I towed her back to my shop,on the way back i asked about fuel and the story came out about where she filled up,i knew the station and knew it was gas.I went all the way with the 2cycle in the injectors,and filter.I bled the system the truck fired and smothed right out.She sent me a card after a year and said she had experianced no problems with her truck.
So just get out as much as you can and you should be fine,hope this helps.

C.K. Piquup
01-11-2004, 10:24
I sold my`84 to a friend in`92.One day his wife filled it w/gas and drove it home a few miles.The motor had close to 200,000mi. at the time.He drained the tank and I believe that`s it.That 2cycle oil thing sounds excellent.Anyway,he ran it several more years with all hard mountain use,as well as farm duties,like hauling double hay wagons.Recently he sold it(locally),with the body all rusted-out&busted-up,to a guy(he knows)that put a clean body on it.You`ll be alright.