PDA

View Full Version : Chrome or Stainless Steel

D-n-Tyke
06-28-2002, 11:23
I am getting a set of side nerf bar/steps for my Crew Cab and was wondering what you guys thought was better for long term use and looks, Chrome or Stainless Steel? There is only like a $20 difference in price between the two so money in not a contributing factor. Which would you get and why?

pepperidge
06-28-2002, 11:33
Stainless is definately the way to go! $20 price difference between "plain" stainless and chrome but Chrome over stainless is a much bigger difference. I opted for just the plain ol' stainless. aggol polish like flitz or neverdull should keep it looking close to chrome. BTW I paid $189 from summit for mine but where they get ya' is the shipping. I caught them with some incorrect wording in the catalog that Said $5 oversize surcharge fee. At the time the shipping was free on catalog orders of $150 or more so they just added the $5 and sent it to me. They later tried to ad the $65 truck freight to my c.c. so I disputed it and they endedup taking it off as a good faith gesture to keep my business...
See you can get great service after the sale and get a good price too. Shop around!

smile.gif

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: pepperidge ]</p>

mackin
06-28-2002, 12:15
Buy all the STAINLESS you can ........ Keeps "MACKIN" busy ....... OH'D TO THE SS ............ GOOD STUFF &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm as bias as they come on this subject .......... Get you guys some new lawn mower blades, buy the wife a new blender too (blade is stainless,(301) with a big dollar EDGE, just sold a guy 25,000 #'S of TEMPERED (full hard) to make them, that's a lot of blades "WOW" couple two three zillion) Buy some knives just don't bring them here :eek: ........ When you buy an EXHAUST make sure it's stainless too ....... T 409 , if your a big dollar shopper go for 304, some real STAINLESS ......... OH YA ..........I could go on but that will do for now .......Love to see the word STAINLESS , I'm gonna get it tattooed on my A$$ ....... Cause it seems appropriate cause my A$$ is riding on it ,pay up sucka, MAC needs the cash..... ........

MAC tongue.gif :D tongue.gif

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
06-28-2002, 12:38
^.......Mack Daddy..... Even though you need counseling on this matter of stainless steel... you still rock. :D Did you ever get the SES warning light issue resolved with the juice?

You need your a$$ tattooed with... " I will not spend more money on my truck, especially when I don't tell the wife what all of this stuff costs".

zip
06-28-2002, 13:00
Hey Mackin-- that's a nice tailgate protector.
Hey wait a minute WHAT IS THAT--ALUMINUM?!! :D
Jest kiddin. (I work maintenance at a GM Paint Shop. We use a LOT of stainless here.) :rolleyes:
zip.

kanton1
06-28-2002, 14:05
check out performanceproducts.com. they have chrome plated stainless steel bars. have the looks of chrome bars, but the durability of stainless. this is what is going on my truck!!

Good Luck,
Kyle

4meseb
06-28-2002, 19:54
I went with the Chrome Plated Stainless Steel for Warranty and Looks. Here is a link to a Technical Article on Westin's Site.
http://www.westinautomotive.com/techpaper2.html
Hope this helps.

Scott

mackin
06-28-2002, 19:55
NutNbutGMC,

Counseling??????? Hell, if I had a shrink he, she, would throw in the towel, quit the profession ...... LOL

No on the SES, all though it has nothing to do with the Juice .... I got a latest version on the way ..... I'm 99.9% positive it's a false code, over boost on stock software ... Still debating on the reflash to correct .......It only does it at 95 ish MPH ...... Just comes on and goes off ........

ZIP,

All though Stainless is my bread and butter . It's heavy (twice the density of Alum) and not easily to work with ....... Plus it's to tough to make the design, of diamond plate ...... Oh I've had some ideas believe me ........ So don't tell no one it's alum, we'll keep it between us ........ LOL

MAC smile.gif

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>