PDA

View Full Version : Juice & Mileage Calculator on 2003 Duramaxes

Bobcat698
10-01-2002, 18:55
I am pondering getting the juice, 'nuff said.

Anyway, I was wondering, if I put the Juice on & set it for a certain power level, is the modified fuel rate going to fudge the computer readings of Average/Instant MPG?
I have a new 2003 Duramax with 800 miles on it.

Thanks

Garrett

Amianthus
10-02-2002, 08:42
I would have to guess yes. Reason being is that the instant MPG reading is based on several things. Things like throttle position, engine speed, calculated load on the engine, and on and on. When you install a "Juice", you are chaging what the computer thinks fuel flow would be for a given throttle position. Thus it will screw up your MPG reading. It should read much higher than you actually are getting. This is one of the sacrifices that you'll make when you start modifying your truck.

Your average MPG may or may not change depending on what signal your trip computer uses to determine average MPG. Although, it stands to reason that it should be off also. But it may not. Just a guess.

KevinK
10-02-2002, 08:46
Assuming the GM trip computer works like the Dodge trip computer, it will definitely throw off the mileage. Mileage is calculated using the TPS (throttle position sensor) to estimate how much fuel is being used. With power additions, you are using more fuel with less throttle, so the computer's calculation is off. It will show considerably better mileage than you are actually getting.

Kevin

Burner
10-02-2002, 17:54
I was under the impression that the 03’s used a flow meter on the upstream and down stream of the fuel. Using that in conjunction with speed would give the “instant” and “average” MPG. GM usually cuts to the chase on such things. Using this system would alleviate using more input = KSS (keep it simple stupid). This system would not need readings from the transmission, air intake, exhaust or throttle position sensor. This system would work on any size truck, 2wd, 4wd, long bed or whatever.
If anyone knows exactly how it works, please send me an email.

Thanks

Burner :D