PDA

View Full Version : Strange Duramax Event Today

RVGuy
10-02-2002, 21:42
Over the past week, I've had three occasions where the Duramax cutout, sputtered and then ran on without problem.

Today, however, I was running down the road at about 45 mph. The engine was not at full operating temperature. The engine cutout, sputtered and then resume running; however, the volume level of the engine was no less than 3 times normal. I'm not talking about exhaust level, but the sound the Duramax makes while running was three times louder....I'm talking Cummings loud here.

This happened once before about a month after I purchased it. No SES light or anything like that.

I ran with the elevated engine noise for about 5 seconds and resumed normal operation and noise level. It ran fine for the rest of the trip home.

By the way, I'm running the same fuel from the same station as normal and I add Amsoil Cetane boost on each fill up. No other additives.

Any comments...especially what is it that can change the engine's sound level that much and then go away?

MaxDMax
10-03-2002, 03:03
I had the same problem on my truck. Mine did this every morning. It began about 3 miles from home it would start cutting out and making a real racket, lasting about 2 to 3 miles and then run fine for the rest of the day. I had the Edge 3.2, I called Aaron with Edge and he quickly sent me a new chip version 4.3 that fixed the problem. I really like the new version of the chip!!! It seems to have beter power and fixes the fishbite problem. I won't know about towing until this weekend, but I think it will be better.

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
10-03-2002, 04:46
I have the same thing happening with version 4.30. Talked to Aaron and he said he is very close to the new update.

It will happen in any level on the juice.

Mike

Kennedy
10-03-2002, 07:36
I'm happy to say that this bug seems to be somewhat uncommon, AND resolved in version 4.31. This is one of the bugs that I have never experienced firsthand so others may have to verify the correction.

armalite
10-03-2002, 10:12
I decided to put the juice back on the truck last night after experiencing the same problems. This morning on the way to work in level 3 at about 40MPH the truck became really loud like it was raining nuts and bolts on the hood (or sounding like a cummins)and then it was quiet again. I have spoke to Aaron about it. He said to make sure all the connections register properly. I did this last night, but I am still getting the funky idle, stalling, and loud noise at times. Is this a known issue with version 4.3? If it is known, do they know what is causing it?

Brandenburg
10-03-2002, 10:15
I had the same thing happen on my way to class this morning with version 4.3. On my truck, it only does it when it rains. Version 3.2 would do it when it rained also.

RVGuy
10-03-2002, 12:46
Based on these five cases, I called and spoke with Aaron and he said they were indeed aware of the issue and are working on it right now. He was in hopes they would have a solution quite soon and asked for me to contact him on Monday, Oct. 14 to followup. A fix is "in the works."

Kennedy
10-03-2002, 15:28
I've upped a couple units to the 4.31 and have one on my truck right now. Things seem good, BUT rather than everyone hammering Aaron with calls, let's wait till a couple more get out there to verify that the cure is complete. I would say by of Monday the 7th it should be proven, maybe sooner.

Once again, I have not experienced this personally, so I am not really a qualified test subject.

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
10-03-2002, 15:34
Well, I just got my new 4.31 version and it was much worse than the 4.30. :( I talked to Aaron and he has a new version for me to try. I will keep you posted.

I will say one thing, Aaron and the Edge staff are top notch and the service is second to none.

I will continue to recommend Edge to anyone!!

Mike

RVGuy
10-03-2002, 19:43
Mike,

When you say "much worse." Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean you are incurring the exact same symptoms as before and they are worse now than before??? Or are you saying overall performance is much worse???

:( :( :(

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: RVGuy ]</p>

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
10-04-2002, 03:02
By much worse I mean the loud rattle is more prevalent. I have found it to occur at any speed, but about the same rpm, around 16-1900. There is always a hick-up or like if you hit the brakes for a split second, then the loud rattle. If I take my foot of the gas it will go back to normal. I have noticed it to occur more frequent when I am behind another car and I am feathering the throttle. The 4.30 version did the same thing, just not as frequent as the 4.31.

My new box will be here today, so we will see how it goes. I will post results this afternoon.

Mike

Maverick
10-04-2002, 22:37
Did you know that 4.3 is different than 4.30? These are 2 different updates.

Anyway....got my box back with 4.30 yesterday and ran it today. Fishbite is gone and seems just as peppy as my old program with no version number. The comfirmation is very nice now. It took about 5 tries to get the program to take. It is louder though up to 2500rpm then gets quite. Sounds like loud pilot injection. I ran my old program on #2 in T/H and would have to back out because EGT's were to hot. Got the new one on #1 and floor boards all the way. Like it. Other than that, no problems today. GCVW today was 24,860lbs.

Flyboy
10-05-2002, 09:33
I got 4.30 back yesterday and I, too, had problems getting it programmed. I never did get the change oil light to blink, but the conformation is saying that the programming is changing.

MaxDMax
10-06-2002, 06:45
Update, I installed 4.3 last Monday and have not had this problem re-occur so far. It was hard to set the first time, it took about 5 tries. I will check to be sure it is 4.30 or 4.3. Everything seems to be perfect so far, the power and it's delivery are great, no fishbite, this version is better than 3.2 for sure. I am going fo a 300 mile tow at GVWR of around 22,000 today.

GMC-2002-Dmax
10-06-2002, 07:46
To All............,

I too updated from an earlier version - v3.61, which I have run since July with NO PROBLEMS at all. I upped to the v4.30 and "HOT" programming :eek: . It came in programmed for L2-Normal & L1 T/H.

I set mine in Normal for L3 and T/H for L4 and it took the first time.

My first impression was that this box is shifting the ALLI much better than the v3.61. ;)

Looking at it now the old v3.61 in L4/90 HP was lacking compared to this new box at L3/90 HP!!!

L4 is quite a difference. I guess I am used to the "juice" 'cause I don't seem to notice just how powerful it is :rolleyes: . Passengers walk away in disbelief that a Diesel pulls that hard :D .

I had zero problems with my first box and so far so good on this one!! Only 264 miles but did not have much relearning.

I do not notice any higher EGT's in L4 than I did at 90HP/L3. Time will tell.

In all I am happy, Mackin was with me on the maiden voyage!!

Later,

GMC ;)

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
10-07-2002, 03:11
Well everyone, 4.31 has solved the loud rattle problem, but she sure does smoke like crazy. Blue smoke at idle and black when you punch the throttle. Idle is so bad you can't stand near the trunk for any length of time.

Were close!

Mike

mtomac
10-08-2002, 17:16
if version 4.31 makes BLUE smoke that doesn't look good (burning oil)

[ 10-08-2002: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

Maverick
10-08-2002, 17:35
Blue smoke would not be oil unless you had 500,000 miles. The blue smoke you see is excess fuel. This is caused by incomplete fuel combustion. I had the same symtoms when i had an injector stick open. Way to much fuel and it could not burn it up.

mtomac
10-08-2002, 17:50
Yes, but blue smoke just LOOKS bad. A non diesel type that might be following along behind a juiced dmax or parked next to one at idle would see a cloud of blue smoke and think the truck is burning oil. I don't want the juice to make my truck LOOK like it has 500,000 miles on it.

[ 10-08-2002: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

mackin
10-08-2002, 18:12
Or you got your self a FRESH race motor and your trying to break in some chrome molly rings.....It's all in how you look at it .....My 3.6sucky did it .....It's a different BLUE compared to oil as it dissipates in the air quickly and doesn't linger like a Dodge 318 in the need of valve seals.....I could send you a 8.4 mega bite quick time movie of my truck revving(3.sucky & BANKS) and smoking if you mail box is BIG enough to receive.......

MAC :D

Maverick
10-08-2002, 18:29
Micheal,
I know what you mean about looking bad. It was embarassing for me at every stoplight. My 4.30 does not do it. Runs just fine. There was a higher than normal amount of fuel in my oil analysis because of the bad injector. If your not burning all your diesel, some of the excess is going into your oil. Thats not good either.

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
10-09-2002, 05:05
Juice is out and the truck is going to the dealer today. The blue smoke wont stop :( We put it on the scanner and found injector ms above 2.5, but it was not the same injector all the time.

Got a major problem. Good thing the mechanic at the dealer is a friend.

I will keep you posted.

Mike

RScott
10-20-2002, 13:19
Wait a minute... You're supposed to get a change engine oil confirmation when programming the Juice?? The instructions didn't say that. Maybe my program on my 4.35 didn't take?

mackin
10-20-2002, 13:25
RScott

I've never waited for it....You should know buy the confirmation numbers of Revs if it took.....The old p,r,n,r,p While idling.....

MAC