PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak

arveetek
01-13-2004, 19:06
I just got done fixing a coolant leak on my '81. I've had this constant, albeit slow, drip from the front of the engine for a couple of weeks. It got worse the last couple of days, and I finally found time to repair it.

When I first looked at it, I suspected a failing water pump. It was dripping from the bottom area of the water pump. However, upon closer inspection, I discovered it was just leaking from one of the bolts that goes through the water pump and front cover, into the water jacket, and into the block.

Turns out it was the bolt right behind the power steering pump slotted adjustment area. That means I had to remove the PS pump just to get to the bolt. The bolt was loose enough I didn't really need a wrench to remove it. I guess it just finally loosened up and backed out a bit from years of vibration.

I removed the bolt, applied some thread sealer and some silicone to the bolt head, and reinstalled it. Shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I'll keep a close watch on it the next few days and make sure it doesn't leak anymore, but I'm confident it is surely fixed.

The worst part about the whole deal was removing and reinstalling the PS pump. It's such a chore to do on the 6.2L, especially with the big A6 compressor above it. Still, it only took me about 2 hours to do.

I just thought I'd post this for anyone who may have a coolant leak. Just another area to double check before replacing a good water pump.

Casey

CleviteKid
01-14-2004, 04:55
Thanks for this information, Casey. I am going to store it on my harddrive under "Useful Information". Maybe More Power will want to create a catagory in the Members Area of TheDieselPage.com for just this type of reference info.

Dr. Lee :cool:

mhagie
01-14-2004, 09:44
Which brings to mind Dr Lee where does one find the spreader to use to adj the p/s belt it would help a lot as that belt is a PITA to adjust :mad:
thanks...........Merle

CleviteKid
01-14-2004, 19:09
JC Whitney: I will look up the part number when I get back to Miami.

Dr. Lee :cool:

arveetek
01-15-2004, 06:09
What I have found to work well to tighten the PS belt is to use a small pipe wrench, and hook it underneath the PS bracket on the outside towards the driver's side inner fender/battery. This way you can pull straight up on it towards the a/c compressor. That's the easiest thing I've found to do yet.

Casey