PDA

View Full Version : Dmax hits 400,000

hoot
07-01-2002, 03:28
BROKER finally did it...

http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=167969&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

IndigoDually
07-01-2002, 07:07
Hey Hoot,
Do you personally correspond with "Broker"(e-mail or PM) or are you just relaying what you read on PUTC? If so ever ask why he doesn't come over here? Just wondering since it seems that he spends a lot of time over there.

John

hoot
07-01-2002, 08:01
I have invited him but he does not respond to those invitations. Don't know why. I have cooresponded with him by e-mail.

SoCalDMAX
07-01-2002, 10:21
My understanding is he's very busy and doesn't get a chance to post regularly over at PUTC, so he probably views posting on multiple sites as too time consuming.

The Dmax is only one of a number of trucks that he runs, different brands. PUTC covers all brands of trucks, so maybe he feels it's kind of a one stop place he can post and be viewed by a lot of different brand owners.

It's sure nice to hear what he's up to, thanks for the info, Hoot!

Regards, Steve

SoCalDMAX
07-01-2002, 10:32
OK, now I'm curious. Went over and read the thread, and broker said the truck is beat cosmetically. I can see why, nothing runs a vehicle down faster than a bunch of different drivers, none of whom paid for it.

He says it's been through 6 alternators! That would be less than 67,000mi per alternator (assuming they all lasted the same, probably not.)

Has anyone with an '01 had alternator problems? I remember posts about the "belt jumping up and down" issue, could this contribute to alternator failure?

I specifically checked my '02 for any signs of belt wobbling/jumping and it's smooth as glass.

Perhaps it was a design flaw they fixed in the '02 redesigned belt/pulley area?

Regards, Steve

hoot
07-01-2002, 10:54
I also don't like hearing about the alternator problems. Apparently GM has always had problems with them. Fortunately, I never had one go bad on me.

It may be the type of useage that is causing them to go. First off, we need to know what is failing in the alternators before we can really comment on it. BROKER is a hauler so he may have a lot hooked up that may be overloading/overheating it. There also could be something wrong with the truck that is cooking them. In other words, it may not be the alternator's fault.

We need to get him over here with the facts.

But 400,000 miles is great to hear!!! Engine runs strong!!

IndigoDually
07-01-2002, 10:57
I wonder if they were actually alternator failures or just bearings. If you think about those sealed bearnigs turning high rpm's constantly, with all of the underhood heat and it is possibly baking what little lubrication that there is out of the bearing. There is something to be said for stop and go and short trips (compared to being team driven 24 hrs a day).

Just thinking out loud,

John

hoot
07-01-2002, 11:00
I was thinking the same. That's why we need to know the real reason for the failures.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

mdrag
07-01-2002, 13:17
I guess some people (for reasons not easily explained ;) ) are harder on alternators than others. I went through 3 GM alts on my '92 Suburban before switching to the Powermaster 200A (now on my Dmax). The Burb had 104k on it when I sold it, and around 45K on the powermaster. A battery would not last me more than 1.5 years. Never could find a problem with the starting/charging system.

I was told battery failures are the most common reason for alts going bad...

Wonder if all the extra stuff.... :D

KompressorMan
07-01-2002, 18:04
Hey Guys,
Well I hate to be the one, but I'm calling BS on this whole thing. IF I ran my truck from Atlanta Ga. to Los Angles EVERY week, about 4500 miles, It would take 88 weeks to acomplish this feat. NO WAY. Also While I've got the burner out, MDRAG, this is the first time you've been on in a while that you haven't moved the thread to another topic. Just playing with you :D :D :D
Herb

bluenote
07-01-2002, 18:16
If Broker's whole scenario is BS, then it has been a rather elaborate run of it. He has posted at PUTC for quite a while, continually giving updates. Furthermore, when there have been problems, he has reported them. He reports running 2-3 men at a time, and racking up thousands of miles a week. He reports similar mileage for 2-3 PSD's that he runs as well, and has told of buying a second Duramax-equipped truck for his business. He has even gone so far as to give an idea of general maintenance history. If this guy was trying to pull people's legs, I think he'd have got tired of the game months ago.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: bluenote ]</p>

mackin
07-01-2002, 18:22
KompressorMan ,

What ??????????

Do you go as the name of "Homer's" kid on the Gm site?????? Drive a F**D occasionaly...... LOL

Sometimes I wonder too, when it would be so easy to post a PIC of the odometer to hush the crowd don't you think????? How many hours, that would be another good question...... That would tell it all ,don't you think????????What's he worried about warranty?????? Yea right.......The paint peel would be a dead give away......

Wonder what rubber he's spinning too? I'll bet he can tell us which ones get the best BLOW out for the buck.... He has to come and visit the premium site and answer some petty questions ...... Not doubting, just wondering.......

MAC :D

Hope their isn't a "HIT" put out on me now by GM brass........For disclosing the hour thing....... tongue.gif

bluenote,

GM brass could have one guy sitting at his desk with a calculator and a calendar .? Proof would be in the PICS...... Not 100% but more accurate..... What's that saying? Believe only half of what you see and nothing you read??????? GHESH I can't remember it .....

On edit: I hate to be a disbeliever but 6-29-02 399,622 miles
5-29-02 349,563 miles
50,059 =miles
So that would be 1614+ miles a day
and an average speed of 67 miles an hour towing .........24 hour non stop driving....... You can hold it ..... Do,do they wear diapers....?
So every time they stopped for ,traffic,fuel,smokes,food,crap,leak,broke down,stretch,then unload,reload,pay tolls, 5 trips to quicky lube with no wait, Etc,etc,etc........They'd have to really fly.... How many tickets? None? Man, I would love to believe it's true and no one really enjoys and thinks the D-MAX is the best thing since sliced bread and beautiful women,not in that order, but come on, seems far fetched. What am I missing, don't give me there are 4 guys in the cab either...... No one showers in 31 days either?????? Do they fly guys to locations to drive it back? Something don't jive......... Where are you BART? HOOT, see you in the WAR room.... Maybe.....
LOL
MAC :eek:

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Breck
07-01-2002, 20:50
400k? sounds pretty good! Has a ways to go to catch a few 6BTA's though.

Wouldn't worry about GM brass seeing anything here for ahile: they are usually "up north" in the summer time.

Actually GM has the week (maybe two?) off here in MI. Must be nice working for "Generous Motors" or the UAW (or commonly referred to as: U A'int Working)

Ever wonder why cars and trucks cost so much? (another subject in itself)

bluenote
07-01-2002, 21:34
Mackin-

I didn't claim whether he was right or wrong. It just seems like a fairly elaborate and drawn out affair just to pull the wool over people's eyes. That being said, I went over to PUTC and searched for the last couple of his mileage postings.

5-10-02 Broker posted at PUTC that his 01 DMax was at 349,563 miles

6-29-02 Broker posted at PUTC that his 01 DMax was at 399,622 miles

This adds up to 51 days, not the single month you based your figures on. It would still have them traveling nearly a thousand miles a day average, but that at least is possible if you generally have two drivers per rig.

Maverick
07-01-2002, 22:09
I will flip over 77,000 on my 3500 tomorrow. Got a load on the trailer right now. GCVW is 29,880lbs. This goes to Homer, AK. I ran 652 miles today and have to do it again tomorrow at 3am. I have had no alternator problems so far. Knock on wood. Broker runs Rickson 19.5's with GY G159's on his Dmax's. I got 19.5 Alcoa's commimg for my 3500. Michlein rubber. Hopefully in a couple weeks they will be on. Freight is slow to Alaska.

Zapper
07-01-2002, 23:02
Breck,

Why the insults about autoworkers? I'm a G.M. autoworker and a member of the U.A.W. I am proud of both. I, and the vast majority of the people I work with, take great pride in what goes out the door. If the U.A.W. is responsible for the high price of vehicles, then why do the BIG 3 vehicles built in Mexico cost just as much? :confused:

mackin
07-02-2002, 04:27
bluenote,

Sorry for the confusion wasn't my intentions to make you a believer or not, post was in general ....... Thanks for the corrected dates........
-----------------------
On another note, to whom reads,
I have the right to opt out on...... Still it's hard to believe as above I stated, all though the figure changes to 41 MPH ...... Still that's 7 days a week 24 hours a day........ That's a lot of fatigue and putting a lot of responsibility on your employees. As being an employer I seldom get a full days work from them, in 8 hours I'm lucky to see 6.75 to 7 hours of true focus ...... Everybody has bad days .......In a closed environment..... No accidents , traffic , weather,etc...... Just hard to fathom this truck IMHO never shutting down....... Sometimes hours of downtime within them 51 days have got to be fit within the mileage traveled....... Which must increase speed to cover the distance ........I think (my opt for now) it's a smoke screen .......Of sorts ..... but easy to clear..... Don't think I wouldn't love to see the D-MAX,stake this claim, I'm a D-MAX owner after all ... It's just a lot to think about ,,,,,,

MAC
:D

mdrag
07-02-2002, 08:20
...Don't forget to take into account that Broker is running 19.5" wheels and tires... 225/70 19.5" will be about 5% difference (~30.6" dia OEM vs ~32.1" dia)and 245/70 19.5" (~33.0" dia) about 7% difference with LESS miles recorded - unless reprogrammed...and don't know when the switch from 16" to 19.5" occured...

Just making an abservation here, no judgements.

On Edit: Numbers corrected for Goodyear tires mentioned by Maverick.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-02-2002, 08:21
Hi Guys,

Broker's absolutely on the level. He is a broker, he's transporting vehicles to/from the same locations with 2, sometimes 3 drivers on every trip. The 2nd/3rd guys sleep in the back of crew cab and only drive for 2/3 days, then another team takes the truck. The truck runs nearly 24/7 and was purchased new when they first came out.

At about 100K mi the ring and pinion felt a little sloppy, so they replaced it. At about 115K the Allison had a problem, so Allison gave him a new one (free?) to study the old one. IIRC replaced turbo at about 350K mi and six alternators later, it's still running.

He's been posting updates all along. He has similar mileage on his F550 trucks, although they haven't been as reliable ;) I also think it's a quite a testament that it takes an F550 to try to do what a 3500 is doing - run reliably, towing a 53' trailer loaded to the max running nearly day and night.

It's kinda hard to imagine that many miles, but when you realize it's just a tool, like a drill press in a shop running 3 shifts, then it makes sense.

Some might argue that long fwy trips aren't as tough on a diesel as the quick errands some of us do, but I think it's still a good indicator that the drivetrain was designed right and can last if properly maintained. I'd like to see what the final mileage is when he retires it and how many miles the '02 lasts, remember the '02 got some minor changes for the better.

Your mileage may vary, cape does not enable wearer to fly. ;)

REgards, Steve

BROKERS
07-02-2002, 17:14
Well, Gentlemen!HOOT E-mailed me again to join.Well i was registered under BROKER along time ago,but my e-mail changed and now i can't get on as BROKER.It P-ssed me off so decided not to post until management corrected it.Well they have yet to do anything about it after numerous tries.Well here it goes !

I guess the disbelievers should just read my posts at PUTC.

By the way the altenator failures are due to bearings burning up,then spinning in the case.

I have logged alot of miles at this rate for many years in different brands.

And yes i find it hard to post on alot of different forums.Putc serves all the brands i run and its interessting.This is a nice site though.

Later ,TOM

I also have a 03 on order to replace the 01.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: BROKERS ]

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: BROKERS ]</p>

BROKERS
07-02-2002, 19:24
Quiet nite,Hoot?

mackin
07-02-2002, 19:45
Tom,

Well,

Where do you find drivers that will tolerate them conditions?
Your just not fudging the books cause you are turning such a profit are you??? tongue.gif

Due you come out of N. England? Is that not where your from? I'll have to keep an Eye on the traffic Cams, have your guys wave....... :D

I did see you posted an hour reading not to long ago so that jives.... Apparently your guys don't have commercial driving license and have to fill out log books......

It's just hard for me to believe in this slow economic times you able to stay so busy hauling cars and such racking up the miles so quick .....

Just remember what I said above I would love to believe that the D-MAX will stand up to this test...... So I'm in no way discrediting you, just give me a dam pic of your ODOMETER and I'll call you the 1,000,000 MILE MAN as oppose to BROKER ...... ;)

MAC :D

On Edit: Just imagine if you had a JUICED D-MAX , OMG :eek:

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
07-02-2002, 20:03
^...What Mackin said... 1 Measly picture. Well, maybe two, not forgetting the hour meter.
Thanks,
Chuck

hdmax(mike)
07-02-2002, 20:09
several months ago on this web site http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1680&highlight=million+miles there was mention of a gas engine 5.7 L V-8 with over one million miles. But unless you subsribe to http://www.chron.com/content/archive/index.mpl you will not beable to read it. I remember reading then. There were records of oil changes every 3200 mile (that was every 4 days) And that the information was offered to GM first. They declind. ( Maybe they thought that was normal for a GM engine) They then went to Pennzoil. They jumped all over it.

Wally
07-02-2002, 20:19
Broker, Glad to see your here :D
I remember seeing a schedule you posted on the other site and it all fell into place.
Question, after the tranny at 115K there has been no other trouble?
Incredible amount of miles in 20 months.
If GM had any sense they would use you as advertisement and give you one heck of a break on your next couple of trucks.

mdrag
07-02-2002, 21:06
Broker,

Welcome to TDP forums. I hope you can find the time to keep posting here - many have been following your mileage saga with keen interest, thanks to periodic update posts by hoot.

I'll mention your forum name challenge to management...

mdrag
07-02-2002, 23:32
BROKER,

I checked with More Power (forum administrator)about your forum name. There is a forum registration using BROKER.

You should be able to log in using BROKER (if you remeber the password), choose 'My Profile', then select 'VIEW/UPDATE PROFILE' and you can enter your new email address.

If you forgot the password, I can get that for you.

hoot
07-03-2002, 03:36
Thanks for stoppin by BROKER. Hopefully the horses mouth will quell the unbelievers.

I know posting on multiple sites is time consuming. I figure this site is read by many brands also since they want to know what the hub-bub is about this new diesel/tranny.

Why don't you try a Powermaster alternator. mdrag uses one and has had good results.

mattb5150
07-03-2002, 21:47
Hard to believe that more people haven't had the alternator problem. Both my 6.5's went through multiple alt's, I now run a Powermaster in my 6.5 because it was the only quality one I could find. I have a question though on the dual alt setup for the D-max, would the dual alts tend to last longer than one individual due to the load being distributed by two alt's. I don't know alot about electrical so don't know if this would be the case or not?

Matt B.

ChevysRus
07-09-2002, 11:32
BROKER!!!!! MY MAN!!!! You are the DMAX GOD! I will personally pay the fee to put you in the Guiness Book of records......

Keep on Truckin!!!!!!

Whether you know it or not, you do have a FAN CLUB!!!!

I'am only at 18K, nice to know I have at least 382,000 more in the "BOOK" if I need it.

Put a sattelite transmitter in that truck and post the address so we can all track that sucker. I for one would like to stand by the side of the road holding up a big sign as it blurs by me.....

"Keep Burning up the Road Dude"

Thanks for you recordkeeping and posting. I find it most encouraging and conforting as well.

I also find it admirable that you have not had any accidents either.....cool!

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side....well greasy what else!

7mmSTW
07-09-2002, 22:52
Welcome Broker, next time you are in the D-max hold down the trip OD button with the key off till it shows the hours. I am just curious to see exactly how many hours there could be with 400K miles.

Later

Seven

ChevysRus
07-10-2002, 16:17
Let's have a CONTEST. 400K : hours = AVG MPH

I will guess his hour meter says 6666.666

By the time we get the answers he will be over 400K, but we can use his real average and work back to 400K to get his hours and AMPH. So I am sticking with the above 6666.666.

This means IMHO I believe the truck has averaged 60MPH since day 1 up thru 400K.

What's your guess??

mackin
07-10-2002, 18:10
I'm in........

7017.54 HRS @ 57 MPH for 400,000 miles......

What do we win???????? Nuttin...?

MAC....... tongue.gif

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-10-2002, 18:33
OK, I'll bite. I'm guessing 8000 hrs at 50 mph.

Steve

mdrag
07-11-2002, 20:07
BROKER posted the hour meter reading/mileage for his '01:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003600

01 D/A milage 409,916mi/6308 hrs = 64.98 MPH average!!! :eek: :eek: :D

Pizza Man
09-27-2002, 09:32
Time for an update?

Black Dog
09-27-2002, 10:15
Broker retired that truck and sold it.