PDA

View Full Version : First cleaning of Amsoil air filter

dmatt
10-03-2002, 20:55
I live in a small town in the Eastern Sierra and my 01 D/A sees a lot of dirt roads. So, I decided to change the stock paper air filter for the Amsoil stage 2 filter. The truck had 11k miles at the time. I noticed when I took out the stock paper filter that there was a lot of "junk" at the bottom of the filter box. So, I cleaned out the filter box and put in the Amsoil air filter. It's been 9k miles and I decided to clean the Amsoil air filter today. I pulled the air filter out and was amazed at the lack of debris and other "junk" at the bottom of the filter box. This tells me that this filter is doing its job. Cleaning was easy and I was back "wheeling" again.

PEANUTGRWR
10-03-2002, 22:46
GLAD TO HEAR YOU LIKE YOUR AMSOIL FILTER. I HAVE ONE AND LOVE IT TOO, BUT THE JUNK IN THE BOTTOM OF THE FILTER BOX HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TYPE OR BRAND OF FILTER YOU RUN. WHERE THIS JUNK IS LOCATED IS WHERE "RAW AIR" IS COMMING IN----- THIS IS AIR THAT IS UNFILTERED ------AND NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF ELEMENT YOU HAVE THE DEBRIS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX IS ONLY DEPENDANT ON THE ATMOSPHERE YOURE DRIVING IN. WHAT COUNTS IS WHAT IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FILTER ;)

DMAX-Hunter
10-04-2002, 00:06
You better just hope that the crap did not get through the filter! The reason it may have been there before, is due to the stocker not allowing it to pass through............

Just my $0.02 worth!

hoot
10-04-2002, 03:17
The bottom of the box is just a catch all. Air flows from the bottom, UP, through the filter. I don't believe the type of filter has anything to do with what you experienced. It's possible that one particular place you drove through was responsible for the junk.

dmatt
10-04-2002, 08:11
Thanks all for the education. I did notice that the filter (even though easy to clean) was coated with a fine grit; maybe the combination of the sand/dirt and other stuff over here in this area.