PDA

View Full Version : Best Computer Mod for towing

IDRambler
07-01-2002, 21:10
I joined just a few days ago after I realized that my only real option for towing my 5er was a DuraMax. I want to get the most out of the truck and wonder what peoples experience with the various Chip mods has been for towing.

On another forum, someone complained that the chips all caused carbon (soot) to build up on their fifth wheel.

Another post claimed that the Maximizer was superior because they could adjust it to maintain EGT's below 1250, something that they claimed was a problem with the 'Juice'. I have called the local GM dealer and he 'warned me' that the use of a chip would void the warranty. He also claimed that the new 2003's would be able to tell if I used one. I don't seem to be able to find anyone who is familiar with more than one of the chips (usually the one they sell.)

Replies appreciated.

2k3 on order

tmg115
07-01-2002, 21:11
i would say the duraamximizer is the best chip for towing. i would sagest getting that.

Kennedy
07-02-2002, 07:37
My $.02 without picking favorites:

The Pulse width boxes (Juice/Amp and reflashed ECMs) are a LOT stronger down low where the power is needed to tow.

The fuel psi boxes (Maximizer, VA/Dynomite) follow the factory fuel curves and perform better in the mid-upper RPM ranges. I am waiting for the new Maximizer that references boost wich is a welcome addition as the early ones did not function on cruise control.

schnier
07-02-2002, 08:26
The maximizer does work on cruise, you just have to step on the accelerator pedal when you think you need extra power for the job. The software reads the pedal position to engage extra programming and the pedal does not move on cruise. Good old electronic pedals.

Kennedy
07-02-2002, 14:06
I don't use my pedal on cruise... :rolleyes:

2K2AD
07-02-2002, 15:34
John,

I noticed on the duramaximizer website they claim the 'manufacturers of other perf products' cannot claim transmission protection greater than what is already built in to the truck stock. They say that the TCM/ECM are totally independent of one another and it unlikely anything could be done to provide the ECM with knowledge of a slip. (which is what I thought the stock setup was) They also claim to only slightly increase fuel pressure. Any opinions/comments? I am not trying to put you on the spot, so I will understand if you can't reply.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kennedy
07-02-2002, 17:01
2K2AD,

I'm kinda :confused: about the transmission thing myself, and figure a guy will have to take Edge at their word on that one. I will say that Edge can alter the shape of the fuel curve, and how it tapers/re-applies on the shifts.

As for the Duramaximizer, I cannot see how it is really altering anything BUT fuel rail psi DIRECTLY. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE higher pressure and all, and am quite anxious to get my Duramaximizer back and installed. That is IF Gun Runner is patient :D

I've said before, I think the future MAY hold a single box that does both PSI and Pulse width, but first we need to beef the transmission. I have yet to hear a thumbs up from anybody on the valve body, so this may take a while...

rvforfun
07-02-2002, 17:05
hey I am confused if the juice just plugs in and you can remove it how are they going to know if you have to take it in for warrenty work that you had this mod on a 03 or any other model at that?? just wondering :confused:

mackin
07-02-2002, 17:23
rvforfun,

They shouldn't know or for that matter why should they know,with the JUICE..... That is the advantage to plug and play, avoid hassles....Hide and seek....No in the cab switches or bells and whistles.... Hypothetically the dealer could always point fingers at changes, one would,could make ..... Member here (I wish I could remember) was told by an Allison dealer to take off deep pan so as the dealer couldn't use as an excuse for a whining noise....Some dealers wont work on drive train issues without stock tire size.... All BS in my book..... So as always it's use caution and quote the Moss act sparingly.......

MAC :D

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mark45678
07-02-2002, 20:41
Juice puts a HUGE increase in power in the bottom end from 1000 ~2600 rpm! I have never seen a problem with EGT ever..... I have never use a maxer but it must have its good points to?

rvforfun
07-03-2002, 11:03
mackin
Thanks kind of what I was figuring but some service managers are not too bright and spout off with the not stock no warranty BS. don't need that problem :D